• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2016 10:09 pm
Nov 23, 2011
856 posts
986 upvotes
West GTA

New Phone / Retention Plan Advice

Hey guys,

I am currently on a corporate plan with Bell on a retention from back when I had a Galaxy S2 (2010?). I have 6gb of data, voice, blah blah blah for $50. This time when I tried to upgrade they told me I had to switch my plan or buy a phone outright and keep my plan. Now on to my questions:

- What is the best consumer plan I can hope to get... I'd like to keep at least 5gb. Whats out there that I could hope for?
- Is there a chance that I'll spend money buying a phone outright only to have Bell sweep my current plan out from under me and make me pick another? I see deals on eBay from a seller in Canada with decent pricing that I would consider if I were to go the route of buying outright.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Mike
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Best consumer plan if you're willing to jump hoops is SK/MB $48 5GB plan. Everything else is way more expensive and you're better off keeping your own plan. You only save $2 but lose 1GB if you're going through the hassle. Bell has been known to change customer's plans and there's nothing you can do about it. So if it were me, I'll just buy my phone and ride it out however long it is.
Nov 23, 2011
856 posts
986 upvotes
West GTA
I'm really leaning towards the idea of buying a phone outright and riding it out. My only problem is that if they change it in the next couple of months then I'll wish I had just upgraded and switched plans.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
mickman wrote: I'm really leaning towards the idea of buying a phone outright and riding it out. My only problem is that if they change it in the next couple of months then I'll wish I had just upgraded and switched plans.
If that happens, upgrade and sell the new phone.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Haz wrote:
mickman wrote: I'm really leaning towards the idea of buying a phone outright and riding it out. My only problem is that if they change it in the next couple of months then I'll wish I had just upgraded and switched plans.
If that happens, upgrade and sell the new phone.
This. You can never tell when Bell will force a plan change, but at least uo to now its been a fairly rare occurrence.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6084 posts
1868 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
I will not look in buying phone in ebay, kijiji or craiglist, your best option is to call bell check what's your option to do HUP. We also have the same plan yesterday they called me for HUP they offer me 2gb 55$, 4gb $75 and 7gb $100. If want to upgrade to 7plus, BTW my usage for data is from 2-4 gb monthly.

outright
plan50 x 24 + iphone7+1049 = $2249 +tax

Renew
plan75 x 24 + iphone7+549 = $2349 +tax
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Nov 23, 2011
856 posts
986 upvotes
West GTA
d1ulove3 wrote: I will not look in buying phone in ebay, kijiji or craiglist, your best option is to call bell check what's your option to do HUP. We also have the same plan yesterday they called me for HUP they offer me 2gb 55$, 4gb $75 and 7gb $100. If want to upgrade to 7plus, BTW my usage for data is from 2-4 gb monthly.

outright
plan50 x 24 + iphone7+1049 = $2249 +tax

Renew
plan75 x 24 + iphone7+549 = $2349 +tax

This is why I don't want to upgrade, it works out to a bit more money in the end, and I get less data on my plan.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)