None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5451 posts
1620 upvotes
Space

New puppy ... Fleas...

Puppy is 8 weeks old. We brought our puppy home and noticed he had fleas. I tried the infamous " dawn soap + water " and it seemed to kill a lot of them. I got a flea brush and a bunch more came out ( all dead ). Now what? I definitely don't want an infestation in my place nor do I want it to spread to my other dog. What's the next step? Any advice on fully getting rid of the fleas before they spread?
35 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
677 upvotes
South of Ottawa
If your other dog was anywhere near the puppy, he probably already has them, so he needs to be treated as well. As for your puppy, did you submerse him in the dawn soap and water for a long time (15 minutes or so)? The water alone should have killed them all off. Comb him out and dry him. Now get a flea collar that's safe for puppies. Your older dog can get a topical flea treatment(but make sure your puppy does not lick it) or a flea drug. Then get the both the puppy and the dog away from their dog areas and spray with a flea product (I used Zodiac Premise 1000 flea spray - worked fantastic).
Aug 16, 2011
839 posts
245 upvotes
Kitchener
Don't get a flea collar or any over the counter flea meds, there is a serious rick of topical burns from those (google it, it's a real thing) go to your vet and get something from them, it will cost more but it won't hurt your dog and it will work. Plus it's a good idea to have a new pup vet checked anyway, if the dog came with fleas I'd be worried about worms and anything else the crappy breeder you got it from neglected to treat.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
677 upvotes
South of Ottawa
starrlamia wrote:
Feb 1st, 2016 10:20 am
Don't get a flea collar or any over the counter flea meds, there is a serious rick of topical burns from those (google it, it's a real thing) go to your vet and get something from them, it will cost more but it won't hurt your dog and it will work. Plus it's a good idea to have a new pup vet checked anyway, if the dog came with fleas I'd be worried about worms and anything else the crappy breeder you got it from neglected to treat.
I didn't know that about the collars, thanks for the info. Never used them, only had a flea issue once (not a puppy) and the breeder gave me some meds from the vet that worked well.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5451 posts
1620 upvotes
Space
I didn't submerge her but rather scrubbed her down and lathered up 4x lol. She was quarantined to one corner of the house and everything she came with was bagged and disposed of. My worry is not what I saw that was dead, but rathe what I didn't see.. ( flea eggs? Larva?). I'm going to bathe her again just in case and get into the vet today.
Beachdown wrote:
Feb 1st, 2016 9:32 am
If your other dog was anywhere near the puppy, he probably already has them, so he needs to be treated as well. As for your puppy, did you submerse him in the dawn soap and water for a long time (15 minutes or so)? The water alone should have killed them all off. Comb him out and dry him. Now get a flea collar that's safe for puppies. Your older dog can get a topical flea treatment(but make sure your puppy does not lick it) or a flea drug. Then get the both the puppy and the dog away from their dog areas and spray with a flea product (I used Zodiac Premise 1000 flea spray - worked fantastic).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
677 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Solsearchin1 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2016 1:23 pm
I didn't submerge her but rather scrubbed her down and lathered up 4x lol. She was quarantined to one corner of the house and everything she came with was bagged and disposed of. My worry is not what I saw that was dead, but rathe what I didn't see.. ( flea eggs? Larva?). I'm going to bathe her again just in case and get into the vet today.
When you bathe her again, just let her soak in the water for 10-15 minutes, or as long as you can get her to stay. The fleas will drown. The vet will get you some good stuff to kill off all the eggs.

Get that flea spray and spray the carpet, upholstery, baseboards, etc.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20996 posts
10410 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
post pics of beast for cuteness factor pls
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3410 posts
624 upvotes
London
nasa25 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2016 5:39 pm
post pics of beast for cuteness factor pls
YES! also post pic of puppy straight from the bath, when they look the saddest and super small!

Our GSD is half her size after a bath :lol:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5451 posts
1620 upvotes
Space
Unfortunately I can't bath her anymore due to the vet meds ( some squirt bottle thing applied to the back of the pup). I'll grab some pics soon. She's been sleeping lots, probably because she never slept well before due to the fleas. She also had worms, and a skin infection, go figure. Seems like we rescued this puppy.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3410 posts
624 upvotes
London
ugh. poor thing - it does sound like a rescue. Can you tip off the local animal society to visit the breeder? You know the rest of those doggies and puppies (or the next litter) will be sick too :(

thanks for taking her in right away, lots wouldn't unfortunately.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
677 upvotes
South of Ottawa
I assume this was a backyard breeder?

A puppy having worms and fleas is common when it's young, but a reputable breeder always treats them as they grow, and never let one go home without a clean bill of health. Please do file a report with your local SPCA or Humane Society.

Post a pic when she's up and about!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5451 posts
1620 upvotes
Space
That's correct. We got our first dog from a reputable breeder and we have had zero issues with him. No fleas or worms on pick up. There wasn't much choice for breeders in our area for the breed of dog we wanted ( pure walker coonhound ). Upon visiting the location it was clear the place wasn't commendable... We figured that it might as well be us that take in a dog that requires some work vs someone else that would cut corners.
Beachdown wrote:
Feb 1st, 2016 7:51 pm
I assume this was a backyard breeder?

A puppy having worms and fleas is common when it's young, but a reputable breeder always treats them as they grow, and never let one go home without a clean bill of health. Please do file a report with your local SPCA or Humane Society.

Post a pic when she's up and about!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5451 posts
1620 upvotes
Space

Don't mind the crappy cage, its old and it's seen better days ! :D
Last edited by Solsearchin1 on Feb 1st, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
677 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Awww, she's adorable! Love the big floppy ears on those dogs.