Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5451 posts
1620 upvotes
Space
She is a gem that's for sure. I just wish she didn't come with the extra baggage ( fleas, worms etc ) lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3410 posts
624 upvotes
London
She is gorgeous!!! Oooh I'm in love, so pretty!
Aug 16, 2011
839 posts
245 upvotes
Kitchener
She's adorable! What kind of skin infection does she have? coconut oil and fish oil are really good supplements for skin!

Fleas are not common in young puppies whatsoever! Worms are but as stated before good breeders treat them young.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
677 upvotes
South of Ottawa
starrlamia wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2016 10:23 am
She's adorable! What kind of skin infection does she have? coconut oil and fish oil are really good supplements for skin!

Fleas are not common in young puppies whatsoever! Worms are but as stated before good breeders treat them young.
Fleas are very common in young puppies that are from a byb.
Aug 16, 2011
839 posts
245 upvotes
Kitchener
Beachdown wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2016 12:26 pm
Fleas are very common in young puppies that are from a byb.
yup from a byb but they shouldn't be considered a thing to expect when getting a puppy
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5451 posts
1620 upvotes
Space
It looks like it was originally from one of those OTC flea topical treatments. It burned the skin and then it became infected.

starrlamia wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2016 10:23 am

Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5456 posts
632 upvotes
Sounds like you really did save her!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5451 posts
1620 upvotes
Space
So a little update, we've been bathing her every 2 days ( dawn dish soap + water ) and got Flea treatment ( revolution purple ). Haven't found or seen any fleas for days now. We will continue doing this for another week and then continue with 2 more months of flea prevention/treatment for both our dogs. Hopefully that the last time we encounter fleas lol
Apr 18, 2008
321 posts
86 upvotes
My kitten had fleas when we first brought her home. We used Advantage prescribed by the vet. And for preventative measures, try Diatomaceous earth. It's organic and nontoxic. I spread them on my bed and all over my house. I bought a 10 lbs bag on Amazon which is way too much. You can find them at pet food stores. It's so safe some people eat one tablespoon a day, for some health reasons. We found some dried insects on the floor after spreading these. No more fleas too.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3410 posts
624 upvotes
London
OP - would you consider reporting the breeder to prevent other puppies maybe ending up in the same situation (the burn from the OTC stuff etc.)?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2986 posts
454 upvotes
Solsearchin1 wrote:
Feb 4th, 2016 4:42 pm
So a little update, we've been bathing her every 2 days ( dawn dish soap + water ) and got Flea treatment ( revolution purple ). Haven't found or seen any fleas for days now. We will continue doing this for another week and then continue with 2 more months of flea prevention/treatment for both our dogs. Hopefully that the last time we encounter fleas lol
Good to hear that you are getting the fleas under control. However, should you live where Heartworm is recommended, at the end of the flea treatment period you will almost be ready to start - Heartworm! Our dog is on Heartgard plus 12 months a year - 6 months for the Heartworm protection and and the other 6 months to help protect against stomach upsets (he is a major hoover). Today was Heartworm pill day so it is on my mind. He loves the chewables (any meds for that matter) so it is all good. He also is given BravEcto every 3 months to protect against ticks. We are just grateful that the Heartgard is chewable - nothing like trying to put a topical on a double-coated dog who is a drama queen.

You might want to buy some very plain Benadryl allergy tablets just in case a bee should sting your pups. I just checked the best before date on our box and it will soon need replacing. Finding the plain Benadryl tablets was not easy last year. I am allergic to anti-histamine so it is not a frequent purchase for me. No doubt I will be the one to be stung.

He will be having a dental this week along with removal of 2 warts. I dread dropping him off at the vets. But at least his senior blood panel and EKG were great - he is about to turn 12.

I wish you luck with the fleas.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
2193 posts
934 upvotes
ontario
If I am not mistaken revolution also prevents heartworm. It is an excellent "most in one".

I also believe vets screen for pre existing heartworm before they prescribe revolution.

Your flea worries should be over provided the other dog is clean as well.

Our spaniel is on revolution 8 months of the year every year.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5451 posts
1620 upvotes
Space
Final update:

After dawn dish soap baths for about 2-3 weeks we killed all the fleas and there is no trace of any new ones ( it's been 1.5 months since initial flea detection ). We had her de wormed probably 2-3 times. First vet we went to ( not our main vet ) was a moron and didn't actually test the stool because she was confident in her assumptions ( costing us a small fortune ). Our vet, tested the stool and found our pup to have flea tapeworms. After 1 treatment with multiple dewormers our dog is worm free! All I can say is, if you're ever in a similar situation, don't give up! It gets better. I will post some pics as she ages.