New Recycle Fee on bottles?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2017 10:57 pm
[OP]
Oct 5, 2005
390 posts
46 upvotes

New Recycle Fee on bottles?

Yesterday I bought a 2L pop (Western Family Diet Cola) from Save-on-Foods with the following bill.

The bottle deposit has always been there, but this is the first time I've seen an additional Recycle Fee. What is this for? Have I been living under a rock? I'm in Alberta if it makes any difference.
Images
  • pop.jpg
5 replies
[OP]
Oct 5, 2005
390 posts
46 upvotes
Huh... well there it is. Seems odd that the consumer has to foot the bill and there is no government involvement in this "program." Reminds me of the Niagra Falls Tourism Fee they exposed on Marketplace. However, I admit I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this sorta thing.
Sep 13, 2016
553 posts
240 upvotes
moneybags wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 2:09 pm
Yesterday I bought a 2L pop (Western Family Diet Cola) from Save-on-Foods with the following bill.

The bottle deposit has always been there, but this is the first time I've seen an additional Recycle Fee. What is this for? Have I been living under a rock? I'm in Alberta if it makes any difference.
I suppose you get a refund when you return them to the store??

In Germany the fee is 25Euro cents. When I lived there, it was fun to collect all water and cola bottles and return them all over the weekend.

All major grocery stores have machines which accept bottles and give you a nice refund receipt. It was also a nice pastime for the homeless to earn some free money by looking for empty cans in the garbage bins.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3754 posts
724 upvotes
Sask.
Indy - The deposit is what you get refunded, any recycle/environmental fee is not.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3331 posts
547 upvotes
Alberta
moneybags wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 2:09 pm

Why not ask Rachel?