• May 17th, 2018 3:12 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 8, 2009
4469 posts
1466 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W

New and revised subforums

Got some suggestions, perhaps other RFDers can provide input...
  • create a home telecom service (phone, internet & TV) sub forum to home and garden - currently scattered in cellphones/computers/ongoing deals/home & garden/etc.
  • Create a finance subforum for insurance. There's CC & investments, but nothing for insurance. Currently scattered in cellphones/computers/credit cards/ongoing deals/automotive, etc. I also think the added traffic from insurance scam discussions can pump more traffic. I would also love to be able to discuss insurance but don't know where to post. Insurance would be about equally vulnerable to self-promoting as real estate, so I don't see that being a reason not to open the subforum (moderators can tackle that).
  • Cellphones should be re-named to cellphones and tablets (if that's possible)
  • Add a sub to computers for VoIP. Currently scattered across computers and cellphones primarily. Though there may not be a plethora of threads, the VoIP threads go on for even thousands of pages

I realize there are some minimum traffic thresholds, but I am confident that adding those two or three subforums is worth it. I understand that there's no point to adding off-topic subforums given the little RFD traffic happening in OT.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
12 replies
Aug 20, 2009
6381 posts
1047 upvotes
Grimsby
I really like the idea of an Insurance sub, that stuff tends to get scattered everywhere. Would that include Auto related insurance stuff or would that stay in Automotive?
[OP]
May 8, 2009
4469 posts
1466 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Redmask wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 4:11 pm
I really like the idea of an Insurance sub, that stuff tends to get scattered everywhere. Would that include Auto related insurance stuff or would that stay in Automotive?
Strictly discussing the "insurance" aspect of the topic (coverage/policy/rates/claims/etc.) as opposed to discussing the vehicle itself, the mechanic, etc. Good point, I would imagine Automotive must get a lot of insurance threads. Just added the mention in OP.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
[OP]
May 8, 2009
4469 posts
1466 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Swerny wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 11:30 am
We definitely need an insurance sub-forum in Automotive.
I think insurance would be a sub to Personal Finance, but it'd certainly relieve Automotive :D Some insurance policies are practically investments (such as life insurance), so it's a big scattered mess. Would be great to keep it all under one section.
Sep 27, 2003
8792 posts
1844 upvotes
Newmarket
titaniumtux wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 12:06 pm
I think insurance would be a sub to Personal Finance, but it'd certainly relieve Automotive :D Some insurance policies are practically investments (such as life insurance), so it's a big scattered mess. Would be great to keep it all under one section.
They could create a shadow subforum in automotive for insurance which would link to the insurance forum (within personal finance).
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
[OP]
May 8, 2009
4469 posts
1466 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
WorldIRC wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 1:12 pm
They could create a shadow subforum in automotive for insurance which would link to the insurance forum (within personal finance).
Probably best way to do that would be a sticky thread?
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1749 posts
300 upvotes
From another thread late last year. Can't emphasize enough how great this would be at bringing OT back in line:
TomRFD wrote:
Dec 18th, 2017 10:04 am
Just to provide a quick update on this. Our current plans are to move Political and Religious discussions to a sub-forum within Off Topic early next year.
titaniumtux wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 11:40 am
I understand that there's no point to adding off-topic subforums given the little RFD traffic happening in OT.
That's not the impression I got from previous discussions with other mods regarding the Off-Topic forum. A couple of them have said OT generated a lot of traffic (and advertising $$) that nothing much would be done to them for that reason. Hopefully, that's not true and the toxic threads can be hidden on a Politics/Religion subforum...
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
9016 posts
13406 upvotes
Scarborough
akira1971 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 2:12 pm
That's not the impression I got from previous discussions with other mods regarding the Off-Topic forum. A couple of them have said OT generated a lot of traffic (and advertising $$) that nothing much would be done to them for that reason. Hopefully, that's not true and the toxic threads can be hidden on a Politics/Religion subforum...
I'm not sure who you were speaking to but only admins have the actual traffic numbers. Off Topic represents a very tiny portion of the overall traffic and the reason we're moving those discussions to their own forum isn't because because of popularity but rather due to it being argumentative. Hoping to do this within the next 1-2 weeks.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
5826 posts
1166 upvotes
How cute, you guys changed Politics & Religion subforum to include "Controversial."

I like it
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4082 posts
572 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
May 16th, 2018 1:12 pm
How cute, you guys changed Politics & Religion subforum to include "Controversial."

I like it
lol ... +1
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
9016 posts
13406 upvotes
Scarborough
peanutz wrote:
May 16th, 2018 1:12 pm

I like it
A small change but it allows us more flexibility in allowing certain topics to remain open when they normally would get closed or deleted in Off Topic.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4082 posts
572 upvotes
TomRFD wrote:
May 17th, 2018 1:10 pm
A small change but it allows us more flexibility in allowing certain topics to remain open when they normally would get closed or deleted in Off Topic.
good idea , thanks ...