• Sep 11th, 2018 5:43 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1379 posts
281 upvotes
Toronto

NEW RFD account hacking scam

I've seen this 2/3 times already in the past few days. A RFDers account with feedback will get hacked and they will sell items for a decent discount. The hacker has either been selling graphic cards or amazon gift cards but will probably try other things as well.

I PMed a user about a GPU and asked to get a picture of the GPU. They replied that they would send it in an hour when they had time, I replied that it's fine I just wanted to make sure he actually had the item because there have been RFD accounts being hacked and I wanted to make sure OP was legit. They never replied and I got a PM this morning saying to not send the money and that their account was hacked.

RFDers should be more careful about users with good feedback and verify they actually have the item. I'm not too sure what the mods have done about it but I think people should be warned about this scam because a lot of users would send money first if they saw the user has good feedback.
5 replies
May 31, 2007
377 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
+1
I wish I read this category first.
Maybe, there could be a banner at the very top to warn other people from compromised account. Or maybe the Scammers and Warnings section could be moved to the very top above the BST: Apparel so that, hopefully, more people are reading what's going on in the forum before buying anything from the BST section.

I fell for the Amazon GC scam from a hacked reputable account - in the process of trying to get my money back :(
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4397 posts
433 upvotes
Markham
Why so many hacks recently? Scammers come to RFD at mass?
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
4603 posts
374 upvotes
Only meet in person.
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Sep 2, 2017
235 posts
119 upvotes
Canada
Every time I sign in , it says website not secure ? In red text ..why is that
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1648 posts
1153 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
ANONYT wrote:
May 7th, 2018 1:10 pm
Every time I sign in , it says website not secure ? In red text ..why is that
I want to know this as well as I am seeing the lock image with a red line through it here.
...Location: GTA North

If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.

GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread

[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100). Please let me know if you have one for sale. Willing to part trade stuff or labour.