• Jan 24th, 2015 12:48 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
479 upvotes
MONTR
i applied for the target master card and got approved. hope they do not need to contact me.
lol!
Mar 14, 2006
998 posts
579 upvotes
Coquitlam
CorSter wrote: As it should, as it's an RBC Mastercard issued by RBC. No different than the Esso RBC Visa, or the Shoppers RBC Visa, or so on...
I agree, it made total sense after I was told that was where it is but intuitively I first looked it up under Target.
Nov 4, 2008
206 posts
11 upvotes
Brandon
I guess this card will be discontinued in light of Target's decision to leave Canada. I bet RBC will be sending cardholders some generic RBC Mastercard. I've never been interested in their cards, so I'm bound to be disappointed in whatever they replace this Target card with.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6582 posts
9090 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
gene2u wrote: I guess this card will be discontinued in light of Target's decision to leave Canada. I bet RBC will be sending cardholders some generic RBC Mastercard. I've never been interested in their cards, so I'm bound to be disappointed in whatever they replace this Target card with.
You can always switch credit card types before they do it for you. If there is one that you would like from their list, just give them a call and they will switch the card to a new type. You will eventually get a new number, but that way you don't have to worry about getting a generic card or having to switch twice.
Nov 5, 2009
391 posts
39 upvotes
When they cancelled my Starbucks RBC Visa a few years ago, they sent across one of their RBC Rewards cards to replace it
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
My hunch is that RBC will probably switch everyone over to the RBC Cash Back MasterCard.

You can always switch to any other RBC card that you want online - but you will likely lose any accumulated rewards. If you wait until RBC switched you to something else, I'd say there's a better chance of your accumulated rewards being paid out or carried forward to another card. Personally, I need an RBC card to get the fee waiver on my back account but rarely use it (this one was only ever used at Target) so I could care less what they switch me to.

Oddly enough, purchases made at US Target stores and Target.com got both the 5% discount and 0.5% cashback, so I've racked up $10 or so in rewards in my two years of using this card exclusively at Target, but I'm not too concerned about losing it. Guess it's time to sign up for a US RedCard though to keep the 5% discount and free shipping on Target.com.
Nov 4, 2008
206 posts
11 upvotes
Brandon
Seems this card doesn't accumulate cash rebates. I've noticed the 5% rebate comes off at point of sale at Target. However, I suppose if you shop with it elsewhere, the 0.5% would have to accrue.

At any rate, I'll hold onto it right until Target closes down, might be some good deals as they vacate. I know a lot of people have complained about Target stores, but I really liked my local store and will be sad to see them leave. Who knows what will replace them if anyone, so they'll leave a big hole at my local mall.

I've never used it in the USA... haven't been to the US in years. Might be time to make a trip south, though the C$ is so low now.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7026 upvotes
Gatineau
gene2u wrote: Seems this card doesn't accumulate cash rebates. I've noticed the 5% rebate comes off at point of sale at Target. However, I suppose if you shop with it elsewhere, the 0.5% would have to accrue.

At any rate, I'll hold onto it right until Target closes down, might be some good deals as they vacate. I know a lot of people have complained about Target stores, but I really liked my local store and will be sad to see them leave. Who knows what will replace them if anyone, so they'll leave a big hole at my local mall.

I've never used it in the USA... haven't been to the US in years. Might be time to make a trip south, though the C$ is so low now.
Using the RBC Target Mastercard outside of Target is foolish as there are better rewards. You only should be using it at Target, and use your better rewards card(s) elsewhere.

djino
"Its as simple as that"
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
gene2u wrote: ...
At any rate, I'll hold onto it right until Target closes down, might be some good deals as they vacate. I know a lot of people have complained about Target stores, but I really liked my local store and will be sad to see them leave. Who knows what will replace them if anyone, so they'll leave a big hole at my local mall...
Lmao, Target's shelves were empty when they were open for "normal business"... good luck with the "good deals" when they vacate.
Nov 4, 2008
206 posts
11 upvotes
Brandon
My local target wasn't too bad on inventory, though I heard that was an issue elsewhere.

As far as rewards cards, yes, the Red Card is best used only at Target. Finding a 1% cash-back card is easy, and a few I have offer 2%-4% cashback depending where you're shopping. My wallet is a little thick, not Costanza-thick, but I've got lots of plastic.