Site Comments & Suggestions

Locked: NEW RULE: 3rd Party Bumping No Longer Allowed!

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2006 1:31 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2001
8451 posts
1426 upvotes
Toronto

NEW RULE: 3rd Party Bumping No Longer Allowed!

As of 1 PM EST on May 2, 2006 we are no longer allowing users other than the original poster to post a message to a Buy, Sell, and Trade thread solely for the purpose of bringing it to the top of the thread list (AKA "bumping"). Only legitimate questions or concerns may be posted to a thread.

We are implementing this rule for a number of reasons:
1. To prevent the bump trading. Bump trading makes it difficult for new or occassional sellers and buyers to use the BST forums.
2. To make tracking down threadcrappers easier.
3. To prevent users from bumping merely to increase their own post count.

Users who break this rule or attempt to circumvent it will be warned and if the behaviour continues, they will be banned. Bumps from before 1 PM EST on May 2, 2006 are exempt.
Share:
305 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 9, 2003
23469 posts
1116 upvotes
Markham, ON
so im assuming no questions? or no comment posting on the thread?

so it will strictly be pm communication?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2001
8451 posts
1426 upvotes
Toronto
From the original message:
Only legitimate questions or concerns may be posted to a thread.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 3, 2003
4231 posts
11 upvotes
Strathroy, ON
Are questions like "You need to post a location" or "You need to post a price" valid? Those can be PM'd and aren't really needed to clutter the thread. Some people may just not put location or price, so someone will bump the thread to ask this.

Also, I'm assuming the moderators are the ones that are going to be determining the validity of the questions. How far are you going to go with this? If the person is in BC, and they say local pick up only, is a question from someone in Toronto going to be acceptable?
Power.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2804 posts
201 upvotes
Great idea that should have been in place a long time ago.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2001
8451 posts
1426 upvotes
Toronto
Hurk wrote:Are questions like "You need to post a location" or "You need to post a price" valid? Those can be PM'd and aren't really needed to clutter the thread. Some people may just not put location or price, so someone will bump the thread to ask this.

Also, I'm assuming the moderators are the ones that are going to be determining the valididity of the questions. How far are you going to go with this? If the person is in BC, and they say local pick up only, is a question from someone in Toronto going to be acceptable?
We'll watch for abuse. If someone goes and posts, "Do you take EMT?" to all of his/her's buddy's threads, they'll get a warning.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 19, 2005
7484 posts
40 upvotes
Pickering
Anything can technically be asked through PM, but it is good to make certain things public.

Many sellers will refuse to reply to a PM unless the person interested bumps the thread, how are you going to handle that? Are "YGPM' type comments acceptable?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
5 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
I think there's a lot of grey areas in this like Hurk mentioned. But as long as the mods are consistent about it, people can eventually be molded into this rule after a little while.

I think this rule is great
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
5 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
MrWizard wrote: Many sellers will refuse to reply to a PM unless the person interested bumps the thread, how are you going to handle that? Are "YGPM' type comments acceptable?
I think those should not be allowed either because that's basically a bump without justified cause other than doing the seller a favour
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2001
8451 posts
1426 upvotes
Toronto
NDman wrote:I think those should not be allowed either because that's basically a bump without justified cause other than doing the seller a favour
Agreed.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 27, 2003
3285 posts
1042 upvotes
Edmonton
This is long overdue. :)
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
1537 posts
Thornhill ON
If we add information to our thread say 3 days after posting it, can we post that their is now updated information so people can re-read the thread (of course adding the info to the first post and changing the thread title, and then creating a new post to say new info has been added.)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 19, 2005
7484 posts
40 upvotes
Pickering
JaGWiRE wrote:If we add information to our thread say 3 days after posting it, can we post that their is now updated information so people can re-read the thread (of course adding the info to the first post and changing the thread title, and then creating a new post to say new info has been added.)
I think you are mistaking this for not being able to bump at all. Which isn't the case. Only the seller and buyers with legitimate questions/concerns can bump the thread. The same 2 bumps per 24 hours rule still applies unless Ryan has changed that too.

Ryan and NDman, I agree with you completely as far as the YGPM thing goes, but it is a cause for concern and hopefully the mods will deal with it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2001
8451 posts
1426 upvotes
Toronto
JaGWiRE wrote:If we add information to our thread say 3 days after posting it, can we post that their is now updated information so people can re-read the thread (of course adding the info to the first post and changing the thread title, and then creating a new post to say new info has been added.)
You can still bump your own thread twice every 24 hours.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)