Automotive

New Rules for cars on King Street, downtown Toronto - Thoughts?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 3:56 pm
62 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26181 posts
6056 upvotes
GTHA
Streetcars should have priority in the downtown core

Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14065 posts
2475 upvotes
Toronto
How about just use buses on King Street instead of the street car. This new rule seems kinda dumb.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2444 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
carmaster wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 6:43 pm
How about just use buses on King Street instead of the street car. This new rule seems kinda dumb.
that's what I'm saying.. it's bullshit that these streetcars take up both lanes every single time they stop.. at least drivers can go around a bus.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
2074 posts
68 upvotes
there will be a traffic jam trying to turn right and block the streetcars anyways..

well let see what other new ideas they will come up with next....
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6319 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 5:14 pm
Streetcars should have priority in the downtown core ...
Agreed. While I have no problem with this experiment, I think there are other changes that could easily be made. For example, no left turns anywhere there are streetcar tracks. Or, all streetcar tracks are a dedicated lane for streetcars during certain hours.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26181 posts
6056 upvotes
GTHA
King Street pilot project raises concerns about ripple effect on traffic

Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
2609 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto
That kind of explains all the road markings on king last night.... Disappointed But Relieved Face

Why not make King Street and Queen Street one way streets. Alternate them with Richmond and Adelaide. This way you can make left turns, right turns and go straight and the streetcars can stay in the secondmost right lane.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7794 posts
1874 upvotes
Brampton
This is why I've just given up trying to drive anywhere downtown.

All these half hearted efforts. Just do what everyone is thinking already get rid of the bike lanes and do dedicated transit lanes. As mentioned prioritizing the street car is going to cause a ripple effect in traffic. They need to do something more drastic such as running buses and street cars on dedicated lanes during rush hour. Cancel left turns.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3616 posts
1058 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 8:38 am
This is why I've just given up trying to drive anywhere downtown.

All these half hearted efforts. Just do what everyone is thinking already get rid of the bike lanes and do dedicated transit lanes. As mentioned prioritizing the street car is going to cause a ripple effect in traffic. They need to do something more drastic such as running buses and street cars on dedicated lanes during rush hour. Cancel left turns.
Are there bike lanes on King?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7794 posts
1874 upvotes
Brampton
wirebound wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 8:55 am
Are there bike lanes on King?
Not on King. But on the neighboring streets where the traffic will flow over in to yes. One reason why traffic has gotten so terrible in that area is because of those bike lanes. Most of those streets down there used to be 2 lanes in each direction and no parking/no stopping at rush hour. Then they became 1 in each with bike lanes.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying prioritizing cars is the answer, I'm saying they need to focus on moving the most amount of people possible and that's going to happen via transit not bikes.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9555 posts
1240 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder if public transit usage will go up?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7492 posts
1277 upvotes
Mugen123 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 6:49 pm
that's what I'm saying.. it's bullshit that these streetcars take up both lanes every single time they stop.. at least drivers can go around a bus.
If you are talking about having to stop behind a tram while passengers embark/disembark, this is standard procedure everywhere there are trams and trams don't have a refuge station for the passengers to wait and have to wait on the sidewalk. Drive in Europe where cities uses trams and you will quickly realise this.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1117 posts
391 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's stupidity. But here we are.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26181 posts
6056 upvotes
GTHA
at1212b wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 9:45 am
I wonder if public transit usage will go up?
TTC says ridership could increase on this route...

"A lot of resources [are] being thrown at this to manage the route as it should be managed," said Brad Ross, chief spokesman for the TTC. "In this configuration we think we're going to see … that the [time between streetcars] will become more regular and therefore more reliable. And you'll probably see an increase in ridership as a result, because the service will be running properly."

from https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/t ... e36933505/