Automotive

New Rules for cars on King Street, downtown Toronto - Thoughts?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 11:40 pm
Apr 8, 2010
455 posts
143 upvotes
toronto
this is so dumb on so many different levels. where does the our smart elected officials think all the cars are going to go? Richmond/ Adelaide or Queen. next thing you know, they'll be doing the same thing to queen as the street car will be stuck behind traffic. then all the cars will be going on front or dundas. it's a nasty domino effect and it's dumb.

edit: if they doing this to king, they should take the street cars off queen and make that a car only street to offset the increase in cars. <-- doesn't that sound dumb? well that's exactly what they doing with king
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9568 posts
1244 upvotes
Toronto
denti72 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 11:20 am
this is so dumb on so many different levels. where does the our smart elected officials think all the cars are going to go? Richmond/ Adelaide or Queen. next thing you know, they'll be doing the same thing to queen as the street car will be stuck behind traffic. then all the cars will be going on front or dundas. it's a nasty domino effect and it's dumb.

edit: if they doing this to king, they should take the street cars off queen and make that a car only street to offset the increase in cars. <-- doesn't that sound dumb? well that's exactly what they doing with king
Looks like the chorus of LIbertyville complaints had its impact.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3623 posts
1070 upvotes
Toronto
denti72 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 11:20 am

Wouldn't the smart elected officials hope people will choose carpooling, transit or *gasp* bike riding for those who are able to commute that way instead? Would free up a lot of space for you guys who need to drive in.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1125 posts
399 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wirebound wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 12:55 pm
Wouldn't the smart elected officials hope people will choose carpooling, transit or *gasp* bike riding for those who are able to commute that way instead? Would free up a lot of space for you guys who need to drive in.
Government shouldn't impose its will on the people.

Also, what transit? Transit in Toronto sucks. In fact, we need this King Pilot Project since there's no proper East-West subway line. And bikes? I don't want to ride bikes, don't force me to. Also, bikes are rather useless in very hot weather, rain, snow and very cold weather.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
6087 posts
1232 upvotes
Did anyone of you commenters actually ride on King today?

It was one of my best morning commutes in a long time on the 504/514. Granted today was a bank holiday, but today's morning traffic was reminiscent of a Sunday afternoon on King.

I just wish drivers passing through intersections the past two days would just own up to their actions, and not play stupid when they get flagged down by a cop.
Sep 21, 2015
85 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I don't like this. If you want to speed things up, get rid of all left turns in downtown. Everywhere, at all times. And start policing pedestrians crossing the intersections. Current bottlenecks are left turning cars with streetcars waiting behind, and righ turning cars waiting for pedestrians to cross, while eveyone waits behind.
Kings st will be unusable for E-W car traffic. End result will be that less cars will use it, pedestrians, cyclysts and public transport ppl will be happy, and traffic will improve. The Transporation and City will declare project a success, and it will get implemented across the board on King and Queen. All other E-W routes will get more congested, and bring everything else that comes with it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
6087 posts
1232 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 8:38 am
Cancel left turns.
Jimbobs wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 7:30 pm
For example, no left turns anywhere there are streetcar tracks.
kubo777 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 1:33 pm
I don't like this. If you want to speed things up, get rid of all left turns in downtown. Everywhere, at all times. And start policing pedestrians crossing the intersections. Current bottlenecks are left turning cars with streetcars waiting behind, and righ turning cars waiting for pedestrians to cross, while eveyone waits behind.

There are no left turns allowed on King Street within the pilot area (Jarvis to Bathurst)

And there's advanced green for turning right from King. That's why most of the streetcar stops were moved to the far corner of the same intersection. Pedestrians just need to mindful that said cars have priority on the green light, instead of crossing the street at a whim.

For the first weekday of a pilot project, I'd say it's going alright. But everyone needs to be mindful of the new rules.
Last edited by Madchester on Nov 13th, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2004
3671 posts
183 upvotes
They should only make it apply during M to F rush hour like 7 to 10AM and 3PM to 7PM. I don't think King is jammed between those two roads 24/7 (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
Oct 18, 2005
293 posts
33 upvotes
Might as well come out and say these change are permanent. We all know that these Pilot projects are in name only. Just look at the Bloor bike lane "pilot project".
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1125 posts
399 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ctc027 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 2:37 pm
Might as well come out and say these change are permanent. We all know that these Pilot projects are in name only. Just look at the Bloor bike lane "pilot project".
They also used very, very misleading figures for Bloor to justify it a success. They compared bike traffic to car traffic on a very nice day during a couple of hours period. They'd have looked pretty bad had they taken into account all the other hours during the day, all the bad days (too hot, too cold, snow, rain). They didn't even take into account the cars that now DON'T use it. In any statistics class, that "study" would've been thrown out for being too biased. But in Toronto it works out.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1125 posts
399 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kubo777 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 1:33 pm
Kings st will be unusable for E-W car traffic. End result will be that less cars will use it, pedestrians, cyclysts and public transport ppl will be happy, and traffic will improve. The Transporation and City will declare project a success, and it will get implemented across the board on King and Queen. All other E-W routes will get more congested, and bring everything else that comes with it.
Which is why we're taught the parable of the camel's nose. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel%27s_nose
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9568 posts
1244 upvotes
Toronto
It will be interesting to see what actually happens. Will the other streets get massively crowded? Will a sizeable amount of people abandon their cars and commute via streetcar now?

I guess there's no parking whatsoever? I mean look at how much parking there is from Simcoe West to Bathurst. I guess they want to kill any and all the business along that route?
Apr 8, 2010
455 posts
143 upvotes
toronto
wirebound wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 12:55 pm
riding a bike in winter isn't all that safe. with the slush piles/ ice and snow, i think it's just plain dangerous. also there's no place to get cleaned up. unless you're starting work early enough during the summers so you'll not be sweating and smelly by the time you get into the office it's not a good idea.

as for car pooling. if people wanted to carpool, the would have already. just because the shut down a street isn't going to make folks carpool.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3623 posts
1070 upvotes
Toronto
denti72 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 3:02 pm
riding a bike in winter isn't all that safe. with the slush piles/ ice and snow, i think it's just plain dangerous. also there's no place to get cleaned up. unless you're starting work early enough during the summers so you'll not be sweating and smelly by the time you get into the office it's not a good idea.
Depends on the workplace for sure. I ride but switch to transit in bad weather. I see lots of people riding in the throes of winter, not quite sure how they manage but they do. I'm not an all or nothing person though - I own a car (its parked right now), I have a Presto card (use it when I need to) and try to commute by bike when I can (because its faster, because its free, because its exercise that I can fit into my day). I drive downtown when I need to but I don't typically use it to commute. Not saying bikes are for everyone or anything ... but certainly its a viable solution for some. If its not your thing, then awesome.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4014 posts
314 upvotes
Madchester wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 1:28 pm

I just wish drivers passing through intersections the past two days would just own up to their actions, and not play stupid when they get flagged down by a cop.
I asked my friends, & most of my friends honestly did not know this new rule came into effect. Granted, most of them don't live directly on King St, but most of them do live downtown

I should clarify, the friends I'm talking about did not drive through the area yet. It was just a general discussion "did you hear about the new rules on King St", etc. So it may come as a surprise to some first timers if they're in the area.