Automotive

New Rules for cars on King Street, downtown Toronto - Thoughts?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 11:40 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26230 posts
6067 upvotes
GTHA
It was a tough adjustment for some drivers Monday morning, as the King St. streetcar pilot project kicked off. Tammie Sutherland with how the TTC, police, and commuters say the changes went over on day one.

Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
2673 posts
182 upvotes
North Etobicoke
ctc027 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 2:37 pm
Might as well come out and say these change are permanent. We all know that these Pilot projects are in name only. Just look at the Bloor bike lane "pilot project".
Lets see how many will be biking in winter.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1164 posts
191 upvotes
My beef is all the parking spots lost. This is just one more reason not to head downtown anymore.
Alex
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3589 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
i work at king and spadina. i dont know why people EVER drive on king. about time they get rid of as many car drivers there as possible!
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1476 posts
591 upvotes
Toronto
This is John Tory's idea to combat grid lock? This guy couldn't run Rogers and you voted for him to run a city! LMAO!!!

Get rid of streetcars, run buses it's faster that's a fact according to the unofficial study completed this year when the Queen St streetcars were removed and replaced with buses. Then during rush hours make street like King or Queen or which ever street express routes through the city, meaning from Jarvis to Bathurst no turns period. You can enter those streets but can't turn until the end, this way drivers can plan their route instead of using the force and clogging up the streets.

If you don't like that idea, then just ban all cars from entering downtown and have everyone ride bikes or walk. With the exception of EVs! :)
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26230 posts
6067 upvotes
GTHA
Changes on King Street: Day 1

Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1224 posts
323 upvotes
Since there's no street parking in the pilot area, and cars can only go one block within the area, is there any point in going through anymore? Seems like pretty much the only thing someone could do now is a pick-up or drop-off.

Of course that is the intention, to make drivers go elsewhere. Whether it works or not, we will see soon enough I guess.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2445 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know if the king st car ban had anything to do with it but eastbound Gardiner was pretty jacked up this morning. Backed up onto the 427 south.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9568 posts
1244 upvotes
Toronto
stevelam wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 7:56 pm
i work at king and spadina. i dont know why people EVER drive on king. about time they get rid of as many car drivers there as possible!
I guess you haven't been down on an evening, or early Sunday or Saturday for let's say brunch (plenty of people that venture out there). Those business will suffer big time. I think this should have just been enforced during rush hour.

Friday and Saturday evenings West of Spadina? It's a zoo there, and very very few people are taking public transit relative to cars. This is just a dumb idea to enforce it 24/7.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2012
4540 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto
By doing this, other nearby streets will be congested. Going to get worse.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26230 posts
6067 upvotes
GTHA
Mugen123 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:42 am
I don't know if the king st car ban had anything to do with it but eastbound Gardiner was pretty jacked up this morning. Backed up onto the 427 south.
Cars on not banned on King St., they are banned from taking a direct route between Jarvis and Bathurst Sts.

Under the new rules, cars are only able to drive one block or so before having to turn right (left turns are banned). There is no on-street parking and cabs have access only between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. in the pilot area.
from http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/k ... -mammoliti
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3916 posts
216 upvotes
Mugen123 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 6:49 pm
that's what I'm saying.. it's bullshit that these streetcars take up both lanes every single time they stop.. at least drivers can go around a bus.
+1 million. Prehistoric means of transportation that needs to go.

Always wondered why we didn't just invest in the electric buses that Vancouver has. Treehuggers should be neutral to the idea, we already have all the lines in place from the old streetcars and the buses can manouver around so that they're not always blocking traffic.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
1967 posts
936 upvotes
Oakville, ON
RastaManMax wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:18 am
+1 million. Prehistoric means of transportation that needs to go.

Always wondered why we didn't just invest in the electric buses that Vancouver has. Treehuggers should be neutral to the idea, we already have all the lines in place from the old streetcars and the buses can manouver around so that they're not always blocking traffic.
FYI

— nominal capacity of a standard TTC bus is 55, which could probably be crammed to 70-80 at peak

— the newer and longer articulated buses can carry 77 which could probably be crammed to 100

However, the new streetcars from bombardier will hold 130 and can be packed in to hold up to 250

So as ancient a concept as they are, the streetcar significantly outperform the buses when it comes to capacity and efficiency. You can move far more people per hour this way and this is where the thinking comes from to create a plan to allow them to get prime preference for King.

That said, the plan is a pretty drastic approach. I can’t help but think that they could have stepped up enforcement of bad parking, restrict parking further, and much better enforcement of people stopping/standing and blocking a lane of traffic.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9568 posts
1244 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:48 am
Cars on not banned on King St., they are banned from taking a direct route between Jarvis and Bathurst Sts.

Under the new rules, cars are only able to drive one block or so before having to turn right (left turns are banned). There is no on-street parking and cabs have access only between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. in the pilot area.
from http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/k ... -mammoliti
The effective result is a ban. Basically those exceptions allow cars that park in a lot or garage to come out or in. Maybe drop people off certain ares. Nobody in their right mind is going to exit right from King, then make a left, then another left, then a right back onto King, only to repeat it again in the next block.

Those Libertyvillage condo dwellers are reflective of the short-sighted 'me me me' generation and thinking approach. So you have these condo/need to live in a cool place/have to be downtowners gobbling up all those condos and townhouses only thinking about their immediate gratification and "I beat the system by being so close to work!".

Then all of a sudden "whaaa.. whaaa! I can't get to work on time because of so many people and congestion.. ban the cars. it's their fault my life sucks!".

Similar to those people who buy in already high density, lack of infrastructure places then complain "I know.. I'll get a condo in Willowdale since I can't afford a million+ home. What??? I can't get my child into Earl Haig and I live in the district. This is unfair!" or "It takes me 30 mins to get on the 401 even though I live at yonge and Shepphard". Of course it's the city/Province's fault for taking $$ of proper development and investment.

I'm a commuter. Used to work on King and York, and it's actually empty during the days. I'll drive down in once in a blue moon down through King Street. That again is on a evening or weekend where nobody is really commuting. They tried that ridiculous Go Train TTC pilot project. Obviously didn't work. They banned the private Chartered buses that people were using to great effect because only the TTC can provide such transportation (except for multiple exceptions which is consistent).

The only thing I'll laugh at is there are still plenty of people who live in the condos/townhouses that drive on the weekend. The times they actually go out, and try to get back home, when the other routes are rammed, left/right turns on the alternative streets jammed, we're going to hear more whining from them as they try to get on to the specific part of King their home is at.
Jan 12, 2008
191 posts
51 upvotes
Has the new changes been accounted for on google maps or waze?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)