Automotive

New Rules for cars on King Street, downtown Toronto - Thoughts?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2017 8:19 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2117 posts
480 upvotes
Mississauga
It's currently a pilot project, so it's not permanent, and it's a great way to test a thoery in real life.
Apr 15, 2014
127 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto, ON
at1212b wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 12:22 pm

The only thing I'll laugh at is there are still plenty of people who live in the condos/townhouses that drive on the weekend. The times they actually go out, and try to get back home, when the other routes are rammed, left/right turns on the alternative streets jammed, we're going to hear more whining from them as they try to get on to the specific part of King their home is at.
I live along King and travel to work by bike or streetcar dependent on weather. I also have a car that I use regularly. For me personally, the benefit to my commute by streetcar far exceeds any minor inconvenience I would face by having to take a different route when driving. I can't see anyone in my position (takes street car and drives a car) would complain about the change.
Please respond
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6766 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
Seeing that Tory got blanked on the Toll proposal they have to try other things to ease gridlock.
Downtown can definitely do with a couple one way streets but hard if you have streetcars going in both directions.
So the only other option is what we are seeing here.
If they get this right and it works out maybe with a new Ontario government they can pitch the toll thing again.
If Toronto can set up defined entry and exit points to the tollable highways into downtown, that would be a prelude to setting up a successful toll system.
Feb 4, 2017
86 posts
32 upvotes
at1212b wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 12:22 pm
The effective result is a ban. Basically those exceptions allow cars that park in a lot or garage to come out or in. Maybe drop people off certain ares. Nobody in their right mind is going to exit right from King, then make a left, then another left, then a right back onto King, only to repeat it again in the next block.

Those Libertyvillage condo dwellers are reflective of the short-sighted 'me me me' generation and thinking approach. So you have these condo/need to live in a cool place/have to be downtowners gobbling up all those condos and townhouses only thinking about their immediate gratification and "I beat the system by being so close to work!".

Then all of a sudden "whaaa.. whaaa! I can't get to work on time because of so many people and congestion.. ban the cars. it's their fault my life sucks!".

Similar to those people who buy in already high density, lack of infrastructure places then complain "I know.. I'll get a condo in Willowdale since I can't afford a million+ home. What??? I can't get my child into Earl Haig and I live in the district. This is unfair!" or "It takes me 30 mins to get on the 401 even though I live at yonge and Shepphard". Of course it's the city/Province's fault for taking $$ of proper development and investment.

I'm a commuter. Used to work on King and York, and it's actually empty during the days. I'll drive down in once in a blue moon down through King Street. That again is on a evening or weekend where nobody is really commuting. They tried that ridiculous Go Train TTC pilot project. Obviously didn't work. They banned the private Chartered buses that people were using to great effect because only the TTC can provide such transportation (except for multiple exceptions which is consistent).

The only thing I'll laugh at is there are still plenty of people who live in the condos/townhouses that drive on the weekend. The times they actually go out, and try to get back home, when the other routes are rammed, left/right turns on the alternative streets jammed, we're going to hear more whining from them as they try to get on to the specific part of King their home is at.
You okay man?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9555 posts
1241 upvotes
Toronto
bobbyhavoc wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:36 pm
You okay man?
Yea, I was doing my Liberty Village dweller impersonation. Pretty good ehh.
Jul 5, 2004
22205 posts
2099 upvotes
Even if this is "successful" it's not going to help gridlock in any way. It will only speed up streetcar service on one road. I understand it's a pilot project, but it's not like they can do this on every road downtown.

They need to make transit more desirable and make driving downtown absolutely unbearable. I find it unbearable now, but I guess not enough people do, so the city should make it so unbearable that transit becomes the better option. They also need to significantly improve transit in Toronto, because it's terrible.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2889 posts
768 upvotes
Toronto
Viperoni wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 12:54 pm
It's currently a pilot project, so it's not permanent, and it's a great way to test a thoery in real life.
+1

Great move by the city to try it out as a pilot project similar to what they did with the bike lanes on Bloor. If it works, great. If not, back to the drawing board. Policy by iteration, this is how it should always be done.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26200 posts
6059 upvotes
GTHA
How much faster is the 504 streetcar with the new rules?

Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3589 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
at1212b wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:20 am
I guess you haven't been down on an evening, or early Sunday or Saturday for let's say brunch (plenty of people that venture out there). Those business will suffer big time. I think this should have just been enforced during rush hour.

Friday and Saturday evenings West of Spadina? It's a zoo there, and very very few people are taking public transit relative to cars. This is just a dumb idea to enforce it 24/7.
i could give less than 2 shits about yuppie brunch crowds going to king st. and how the hell would those businesses suffer? theres plenty of condo walking traffic going through those areas all of the time.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9555 posts
1241 upvotes
Toronto
stevelam wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:44 pm
i could give less than 2 shits about yuppie brunch crowds going to king st. and how the hell would those businesses suffer? theres plenty of condo walking traffic going through those areas all of the time.
Lol, either way, it's going to look ridiculous on Friday night, when King Street is empty, while Queen, Lakeshore, adelaide, richmond is rammed on a Friday evening. It's not just the volume but all the cars making lefts/rights to get to their king street destination that's going to cram it even more. And alot of those shops rely on evening/weekend traffic from those that drive in. Alot of people walking through don't care for that or can't afford it after paying 2K+ in rent. If this becomes permanent, many shops/bars will close. But I guess all the better as it'll open the door for more condos to replace those businesses.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9555 posts
1241 upvotes
Toronto
Little Tim wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 4:41 pm
+1

Great move by the city to try it out as a pilot project similar to what they did with the bike lanes on Bloor. If it works, great. If not, back to the drawing board. Policy by iteration, this is how it should always be done.
Except the bloor bike lane wasn't a real pilot. It was going through regardless. The 'study' was set up for optimal representation and therefore approval.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7315 posts
482 upvotes
I was surprised to find this out yesterday from my manager. I had a show to go to on King St and wow was it dead at night. All I saw was taxis and Streetcars, it was certainly interesting and a nice change to the crazy traffic. Although I have no idea how the streets just north and south of King were like.

I have never seen so many streetcars go by in such a short span of time.

During the day when I walk along King from Yonge to Spadina (once in a while), I'd walk the entire length and never saw a single streetcar pass me by even though I would try to hop on one if I had the chance.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4748 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
My 504 commute used to be from Parliament to Dufferin and would take almost an hour...even before 7am on a weekday. I moved since then and switched jobs. I took the 514 this morning for an appointment and the streetcar hummed right through that tough segment like it was a Sunday morning!
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

MetalGear