Cell Phones

*NEW* | Samsung Galaxy S4 Phone- Thread | (Coming March 2013) W/ 1080p 4.9" Screen...

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2013 9:34 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4287 posts
66 upvotes

*NEW* | Samsung Galaxy S4 Phone- Thread | (Coming March 2013) W/ 1080p 4.9" Screen...

http://bgr.com/2013/01/22/samsung-galax ... -2-301691/
11:05 AM
The hype around Samsung’s (005930) next-generation Galaxy smartphone is at an all-time high and is even giving Apple’s (AAPL) next iPhone a run for its money. It is widely believed that the company will announce the Galaxy S IV at an upcoming press conference rather than a large trade show such as Mobile World Congress. According to Asia Economic News, Samsung will reportedly hold a press event on March 22nd “at Apple’s doorstep” in the United States to unveil its next flagship smartphone.

The Galaxy S IV is rumored to be equipped with a 4.99-inch 1080p full-HD display, a 1.8GHz 8-core Exynos 5 Octa processor and a 13-megapixel rear camera. The smartphone is also believed to include 4G LTE connectivity, 2GB of RAM, a microSD slot, wireless charging capabilities and Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean.
29 replies
Jun 15, 2011
37992 posts
5468 upvotes
Richmond Hill
No signs for expandable storage eh?
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Sep 10, 2002
5529 posts
83 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't see why an 8 core phone is needed? The current S3 can't even fully utilize the Quad core.

As well, not sure why a 1080 screen is needed on such a small screen.

Only reason I see hardware specs being pushed is because all phones using android is bascially the same experience and the only way hardware manufacturers can sell more of their phones is to start a hardware war.

If you look at the iphone, it's not the best hardware but the OS is fully optimized for the hardware leading to smooth amazing experience with good battery life.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5529 posts
83 upvotes
Vancouver
djemzine wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 1:09 pm
No signs for expandable storage eh?
Last line states microsd support.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6616 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
Narci wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 1:24 pm
I don't see why an 8 core phone is needed? The current S3 can't even fully utilize the Quad core.

Only reason I see hardware specs being pushed is because all phones using android is bascially the same experience and the only way hardware manufacturers can sell more of their phones is to start a hardware war.

If you look at the iphone, it's not the best hardware but the OS is fully optimized for the hardware leading to smooth amazing experience with good battery life.
Same can be said about 8core+ PCs, tablets or any device out there but there are apps that make use of this and evermore apps/games that still grind a system to its knees. Build it and they will come, I have no doubt forthcoming apps will catch up eventually with the hardware. It's always good for the consumer to see hardware ahead of the curve.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
2393 posts
293 upvotes
Joliette
Narci wrote:

It's not really an 8 core processor, it's 4 high end cores and then 4 low end cores it switches to for when you don't need the extra processing power.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5529 posts
83 upvotes
Vancouver
Aside from the android OS, still don't see the need for 4 cores high or low.

How many people these days even need a quad core PC these days? Many are still on single core or dual core because most people just surf the web, facebook and check email.

App and OS optimization should reduce the need for better harware...at least for now.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2678 posts
313 upvotes
Newmarket
Narci wrote:

the n/a version s3 i beleive is dual-core only. note 2 is quad-core.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2006
9781 posts
470 upvotes
North America
You guys need to read how process scheduling works.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2011
1061 posts
109 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 3:14 pm
You guys need to read how process scheduling works.
Why? This isnt a thread about "how to learn stuff" its about rampant speculation and conjecture.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2949 posts
134 upvotes
Narci wrote:
^
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3772 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
I have the note 2: 1.8ghz quad core and I can certainly tell you that the stock rom lags sometimes. It was when I rooted and installed a custom rom with no crap and bloatware the lag dissapeared.

Even with 4 cores, android os lags behind ios but the gap is closing more and more as android gets more mature. Android needs to do a better job at optimizing their os (where ios is king in this field). Jb was a noticable difference but still not quite up to ios yet. I would predict that the gap will close when the successor to jb is released.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4287 posts
66 upvotes
NEMESIS_2008 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 5:23 pm
I have the note 2: 1.8ghz quad core and I can certainly tell you that the stock rom lags sometimes. It was when I rooted and installed a custom rom with no crap and bloatware the lag dissapeared.

Even with 4 cores, android os lags behind ios but the gap is closing more and more as android gets more mature. Android needs to do a better job at optimizing their os (where ios is king in this field). Jb was a noticable difference but still not quite up to ios yet. I would predict that the gap will close when the successor to jb is released.
I've always loved how smooth the iPhone's iOS is. However like you, I believe that the next big version of Android is going to match the iphone in terms of smooth lag-free operation. Android 4.0 to 4.1 was a really noticeable difference.

As for the harware changes in the SGSIV I hope they get rid of the bezel. On Jan 11, 2013 Samsung showcased one of its YOUM devices. And the dude brought a prototype phone with him that had curved LCD so you could see text messages on the side of the phone.

Here is the video: http://youtu.be/N3E7fUynrZU?t=1m28s

The whole video is pretty good, they showcase flexible LCD technology. I doubt that'll go into production anytime soon, but still good to know it exists. Although flexible LCD isn't new to 2013.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2009
4347 posts
661 upvotes
Scarborough
Should be an awesome phone. I'm not sure why people even compare Samsung hardware to Apple anymore, it's becoming a bit facetious in my opinion
Deal Addict
May 14, 2007
2611 posts
79 upvotes
Umm, because they directly compete?
SkimGuy wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 6:31 pm
Should be an awesome phone. I'm not sure why people even compare Samsung hardware to Apple anymore, it's becoming a bit facetious in my opinion
What I don't is even with all these cores and RAM, why are things like browsing still not equivalent to desktop browsing?
× < >