Personal Finance

NEW Scotia American Express cards (20k bonus points upon approval)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2016 8:29 am
Dec 10, 2011
10 posts
Burnaby
I already have ScotiaGold. My questions:
1) If I get the AmEx card in addition to my scotiagold card, will the points earned on both cards be in one account only? Meaning I can use the AmEx to rack up points but use the ScotiaGold for travel to take advantage of the 5% cashback.
2) Lastly, will it be advisable to wait till October then to apply for this card?
HondaSUV4WD wrote:
Sep 26th, 2012 12:34 pm
I've called SB monday night about this card...yes you can switch your current SB card...but you won't have the welcome bonus. If you want the bonus, you have to to open a new account with them. The rep told me that, beginning october 10th, they will contact existing clients about this card and offer different promotion to them (maybe fee waved for the first year, etc.).

He also told me that they will give a companion card with this card (if the merchant doesn't take Amex), the Reward Visa...giving a wonderful 0.5%. I've stop him right away..."you telling me that if they don't take my 4% card, I can use this 0,5% card ???" He told me: "You're right, it doesn't make any sense...i'll take your feedback in consideration and will talk about it in our next meeting on friday...you know that is a brand new product and will have to adjust some littles things". Anyway, we gonna see if it's true or not...but it's a good start.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2010
1264 posts
124 upvotes
Milfman wrote:
Sep 26th, 2012 4:45 pm
Can't remember exactly why but the Scene visa and another BNS visa card are not convert-able.
Scene and the Lear'n visa are not convertable, because they are student cards.

At the time I tried calling in, going to the branch etc to no avail. They just can't physically do it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
3672 posts
772 upvotes
BBaludoy wrote:
Sep 27th, 2012 12:21 am
I already have ScotiaGold. My questions:
1) If I get the AmEx card in addition to my scotiagold card, will the points earned on both cards be in one account only? Meaning I can use the AmEx to rack up points but use the ScotiaGold for travel to take advantage of the 5% cashback.
From what I understand, the points are accumulated into the same program so you should be able to earn with one card and use with the other. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
BBaludoy wrote:
Sep 27th, 2012 12:21 am
2) Lastly, will it be advisable to wait till October then to apply for this card?
I would wait. Amazon.ca offers gift cards for applying for SB cards through them. The new Amex cards aren't on there yet, but I would think they will soon be.
Dec 10, 2011
10 posts
Burnaby
Yeah I thought the same. I hate to be paying for two gold cards though.
May 27, 2010
176 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Can someone please tell me what the difference between this (Scotia AMEX) and the original AMEX platinum is?

From what I know:

Scotia Amex Platinum - limited number of visits to airport lounges (10 per year, then $27 per visit after)
Amex Platinum - no limit, includes guest

Scotia Amex Platinum - TBD
Amex Platinum - VIP access to customs

Scotia Amex Platinum - discounted airline tickets
Amex Platinum - companion ticket for Business Class or higher

Scotia Amex Platinum - Scotia Rewards points for travel
Amex Platinum - 1:1 conversion for Aeroplan, BA or SkyMiles

Scotia Amex Platinum - various, up to 4X points (Scotia Rewards only)
Amex Platinum - 1.25X points per $ spent

Scotia Amex Platinum - $399/year
Amex Platinum - $699/year

Amex Platinum - hotel points conversion and room upgrade available (Hilton, Starwood, etc)

Scotia Amex Platinum - 40000 points on first purchase
Amex Platinum - 50000 bonus points when you spend $1000 in the first 3 months

Anything else that I missed?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
18036 posts
2302 upvotes
Waterloo
Scott Hall wrote:
Sep 27th, 2012 3:52 pm
Can someone please tell me what the difference between this (Scotia AMEX) and the original AMEX platinum is?

From what I know:

Scotia Amex Platinum - limited number of visits to airport lounges (10 per year, then $27 per visit after)
Amex Platinum - no limit, includes guest

Amex Platinum - VIP access to customs

Scotia Amex Platinum - discounted airline tickets
Amex Platinum - companion ticket for Business Class or higher

Scotia Amex Platinum - Scotia Rewards points for travel
Amex Platinum - 1:1 conversion for Aeroplan, BA or SkyMiles

Scotia Amex Platinum - various, up to 4X points (Scotia Rewards only)
Amex Platinum - 1.25X points per $ spent

Scotia Amex Platinum - $399/year
Amex Platinum - $699/year

Amex Platinum - hotel points conversion and room upgrade available (Hilton, Starwood, etc)

Scotia Amex Platinum - 40000 points on first purchase
Amex Platinum - 50000 bonus points when you spend $1000 in the first 3 months

Anything else that I missed?
That's pretty much it. AMEX Concierage or Travel service (PTS) is better

Keep in mind you get $200 annual credit from AMEX Platinum (so $699 - $200 = $499/year if you can use $200 easy)

and right now if someone (or I) refer you to sign up, I can get 15K referral while you can get 60K MR bonus after spending $3000 in 3 months.
Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan/AMEX MR <= AMEX Platinum 75K, Business Gold 40K FYF, Gold 25K FYF, SPG 20K $120
Aug 16, 2004
365 posts
77 upvotes
For those of you who want more details on the insurance policies, I managed to find a few of the certificates online:
Travel Emergency Medical
Price Protection
Rental Car Collision/Loss
Purchase Security & Extended Warranty
Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption
Common Carrier Accident

I compared some of the details against the Aspire World benefits. The wording is nearly identical on many of the policies, but here are some of the differences:
  • Travel Emergency Medical: covers first 25 days (Aspire is 21) for folks under 65, or 10 days for those 65+ (Aspire is 8). Max $1 million/person, Aspire has max $2 million. Scotia has an additional "Car Accident Insurance" that pays up to $200/day for 3 days following a car accident in which your vehicle becomes inoperable, for food, accomodation, car rental, or commercial transportation.
  • Trip Cancellation/Interruption: Scotia only requires 75% of the trip expenses charged to the card in order for the trip to qualify, Aspire requires 100%. Besides your spouse and dependent children, Scotia covers 1 additional travelling companion if their trip expenses are charged to the card, whereas Aspire covers up to 2 companions. Scotia's maximums are $2500/person and $10000/trip, Aspire's max is $1000/person and $5000/trip. Scotia's policy does not specify if you get reimbursed for any points used to purchase your flight, Aspire specifically excludes the value of any such points.
Sorry, ran out of time to compare the others. I will edit to add them if I get time later.
Mar 23, 2004
33202 posts
2139 upvotes
Markham
Milfman wrote:
Sep 26th, 2012 4:45 pm
Can't remember exactly why but the Scene visa and another BNS visa card are not convert-able.
i went to a local scotia today and they said i can...hmmm pretty wtf lol
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18575 posts
503 upvotes
Montreal
jerryhung wrote:
Sep 27th, 2012 4:02 pm
That's pretty much it. AMEX Concierage or Travel service (PTS) is better

Keep in mind you get $200 annual credit from AMEX Platinum (so $699 - $200 = $499/year if you can use $200 easy)

and right now if someone (or I) refer you to sign up, I can get 15K referral while you can get 60K MR bonus after spending $3000 in 3 months.
Tempting to get you to refer me. I currently have an Amex Gold Rewards charge card, but am considering Platinum. Even with the $200/yr travel bonus, $499 is still a hefty amount to pay for a CC.
dakota2001 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2012 11:24 pm
Women don't wake up, scratch their balls, throw on a baseball cap and venture into the world as is.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18575 posts
503 upvotes
Montreal
angel_wing0 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2012 5:40 pm
i went to a local scotia today and they said i can...hmmm pretty wtf lol
Cool, so I can convert my Scotia Value Visa (my first credit card ever, that I've had for about 10 years) into one of these new Scotia Amex's without getting dinged for a credit check?
dakota2001 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2012 11:24 pm
Women don't wake up, scratch their balls, throw on a baseball cap and venture into the world as is.
Dec 10, 2011
10 posts
Burnaby
Couldn't wait any longer.... I applied and got approved today. I got the supplemental card waived though.
Sep 27, 2012
1 posts
GUELPH
@angel_wing0 - yes you can switch your Scene visa as long as it's the regular Scene Visa and not the student version, keep in mind that the minimum CC limit needs to be met too.

@BBaludoy - Yes, the points on the ScotiaGold Passport Visa and the AMEX Gold are transferrable. You can have both cards and take advantage of the high earn rate on the AMEX and still get the 5% cashback on the ScotiaGold.
Mar 23, 2004
33202 posts
2139 upvotes
Markham
najibs wrote:
Sep 28th, 2012 5:43 pm
Cool, so I can convert my Scotia Value Visa (my first credit card ever, that I've had for about 10 years) into one of these new Scotia Amex's without getting dinged for a credit check?
yes.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Aug 20, 2009
132 posts
20 upvotes
do people actually pay $500 / yr for the credit card fee? The amex platinum card in my site always ranks very low due to the fee, CC companies should be paying you (if you use your CC responsibly)
I like cats
Mar 23, 2004
33202 posts
2139 upvotes
Markham
yahi wrote:
Sep 29th, 2012 7:44 pm
do people actually pay $500 / yr for the credit card fee? The amex platinum card in my site always ranks very low due to the fee, CC companies should be paying you (if you use your CC responsibly)
yes i know ppl that do...i mean heck there are rfd user that does already lol
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
× < >