Personal Finance

New Simplii customers, are you getting emails?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 10:54 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 19, 2015
324 posts
148 upvotes

New Simplii customers, are you getting emails?

My wife and I opened Simplii chequing accounts on Nov 1, and got our cards today. When I phoned to activate, they said they've emailed us twice each with a bar-code to take to Canada Post to verify our identities, and yet neither of use have anything. We have different email addresses too.

Anyone in a similar situation?
Last edited by saberon2016 on Nov 8th, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
54 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4846 posts
721 upvotes
I applied for their HISA on Monday and received confirmation email Tuesday.

BTW did you have to send a SIN or void cheque to complete your application before your card was sent in the mail?
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
3405 posts
702 upvotes
on the links
I applied for the HISA on Nov 1st and have received no confirmation whatsoever...neither email, Canada Post, Pony Express or even a Bat Signal. At this point, I'd even consider answering a CIBC marketing number on call display!
[OP]
Jun 19, 2015
324 posts
148 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:12 pm
I applied for their HISA on Monday and received confirmation email Tuesday.

BTW did you have to send a SIN or void cheque to complete your application before your card was sent in the mail?
The card came with the request for the cheque, no SIN provided during application for the chequing account.
Jan 16, 2007
152 posts
48 upvotes
I'm an old customer but my account is flagged for ID so I have to do the same before I can open accounts. I called last night asking them to do it, but it has yet to appear for me either.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4846 posts
721 upvotes
Sauerkraut wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:21 pm
I applied for the HISA on Nov 1st and have received no confirmation whatsoever...neither email, Canada Post, Pony Express or even a Bat Signal. At this point, I'd even consider answering a CIBC marketing number on call display!
I actually called on Tuesday morning to ask to confirm that they received it. The rep couldn't tell me right away...put me on hold...and told me that they were being "pushed through manually" so maybe that prompted them to send the email at the end of the day.

A bit unusual.
Banned
Nov 7, 2017
28 posts
5 upvotes
saberon2016 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 2:27 pm
My wife and I opened Simplii chequing accounts on Nov 1, and got our cards today. When I phoned to activate, they said they've emailed us twice each with a bar-code to take to Canada Post to verify our identities, and yet neither of use have anything. We have different email addresses too.

Did you open a Savings account too or just chequing ?

I opened a Savings account a week back ( no chequing account ) , yet to receive anything from them ! No email - nothing ! They said they will mail a package in my mail, nothing has come.

How did they send you debit cards ? When your account is NOT even activated yet ! First they should activate the account and then mail you the cards ! They seem to be doing it the other way around.
Banned
Nov 7, 2017
28 posts
5 upvotes
Sauerkraut wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:21 pm
Me too, Opened a HISA online more than a week back ! Nothing so far from them Not even a confirmation email for the online application, forget any activation email or anything in mail.

I even gave them my SIN although it was NOT mandatory, but still nothing from them. Plus they only allow you to open a SINGLE account online, so how the hell do I make it JOINT with someone else ?
Banned
Nov 7, 2017
28 posts
5 upvotes
saberon2016 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:23 pm
The card came with the request for the cheque, no SIN provided during application for the chequing account.
What about VOID cheque ? Did you have to mail anything in ?
Banned
Nov 7, 2017
28 posts
5 upvotes
I have a Tangerine chequing account. But I don't have any cheques left and don't want to pay $ 20 for a new cheque book.

Tangerine lets me print a VOID cheque online on a regular A4 size white printing paper on my printer. Can I send this printed at home VOID cheque on regular paper to SIMPLII if they ask for a VOID cheque from me for linking accounts ?
[OP]
Jun 19, 2015
324 posts
148 upvotes
Simplii said they send emails to do ID Verification at Canada Post, but nobody has gotten them so I had to do the cheque method.

They don't want a void cheque, they want a cheque for $25 addressed to yourself with a confirmation number they provide in the "welcome kit" written on the memo line, and your Simplii account # written on the back. The welcome kit includes a prepaid return envelope that needs to have the cheque as well as a signed "T&C" type form. So I have my debit card, but I can't do anything with it until they activate it once they receive my cheque.

I only opened a chequing account.
Banned
Nov 7, 2017
28 posts
5 upvotes
saberon2016 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 2:27 pm

After you verify your identity at the post office, what does the Post Office do or send to Simplii ?

I mean how does Simplii get your photo ID and signature in their data base or file ? Does the Post Office scan and send something to Simplii like your signature, a VOID cheque or your photo ID.

What a complicated process these guys have made. With PC Finacial you could just do it at a kiosk at one of the PC pavillions in Loblaws, No Frills etc.

I know CIBC doesn't want to do anything with Simplii customers. But atleast for the initial opening and activation of the Simplii account, the customer should be able to do it in CIBC branches.

And after that you are strictly on your own i.e only online banking, telephone banking and CIBC self serve ATM banking.

But for the first step you should be able to apply online for the Simplii account and then take a print out and go to a CIBC branch with your ID's and open & activate the account. Much easier for Simplii , the customers and CIBC the parent company.

People are waiting almost 10 days, no emails nothing from them after apllying online .By now Simplii could have had your money & you could have transferred all your money from other banks by now. 2-3 weeks just to open an account is ridiculous.

My money is just sitting in Tangerine waiting to be transferred out to Simplii. But Simplii is yet to activate my account or send me anything after I applied online on Novemeber 1 to open the account. Tangerine is the winner here, not Simplii . And I am losing out on the 3 % Simplii rate :( Money sitting in Tangerine at a lower rate waiting to be transferred out !
[OP]
Jun 19, 2015
324 posts
148 upvotes
When I opened a Tangerine account, I did the Canada Post ID verification. Basically I went with a # provided by Tangerine and my drivers license. The employee typed in the reference number, looked at my ID and pushed a button and said "You're done". When I got home there was an email from Tangerine saying my ID was verified.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2013
1135 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto
What kind of card are they sending, is it Visa Debit?
[OP]
Jun 19, 2015
324 posts
148 upvotes
No, they sent a regular debit card with no VISA logo on it. It feels thin and cheap compared to my other cards.