• Jan 29th, 2018 1:41 am
Tags:
Nov 18, 2013
307 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto

New Snowboarder

Hello,

My son is going to take up snowboarding (he boarded for 1 year previously) and I'm looking to get him a snowboard. I looked online and he needs size 155 but I noticed that the prices vary wildly. If I get him a board in the $200-$250 range will it suffice? I don't want to get him something that's bad and turn him off. At the same time, if I can get away with an affordable board (not sure if price is just related to aesthetics) then I'd like to.

Many thanks
7 replies
Jan 4, 2017
175 posts
44 upvotes
I would most definitely go with used, as a lot of boarders i know ditch their old setups for this year's stuff. I don't know if $250 will be enough for a board, boots, and bindings though.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2007
1001 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
Depending on the level of your son, a board can make a big difference. If he went every weekend last winter, he could on double blacks and starting terrain park. At that point, he would definitely understand what style of riding he's into - jibbing/park, freeriding, all mountain, powder. Since you're in Toronto, he's probably never experienced true powder and it's all groomers. For boards, you're typically looking at flexibility differences - rocker, camber or hybrid, then some special features that companies add in to try and differentiate themselves.
Best thing to do is get your son to try out some boards first to see what he likes. Sometimes Mt St Louis and Blue Mountain have vendors that setup booths outside where you can try their products after you sign some liability forms in case you break/steal their product while demo-ing it.

If he's 1 year in and still a beginner, he won't know the difference between boards. $200-250 would be sufficient if you picked up a sport chek deal that gets posted on RFD or a well reviewed used board. Very likely, once he gets really good he's going to want to change it up again anyway, so don't break the bank. I'd say aim for a used, good condition all mountain board, twin shape, medium flex.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1197 posts
694 upvotes
I would agree with two sentiments above: look on Kijiji for cheap used (barely) setups from people that tried it and don't like it, there are lots of them. Now is also a great time to buy new from a place like Sportchek as a lot of things will be discounted. Beginners are well setup with rocker/vrocker/reverse camber setups where the tips are higher than the middle as they are more forgiving. You need to see what size he is to see if he'll need a wide board or regular. I think wide is something like size 11 or higher boots.

One thing I'll say though is to never skimp on boots. The comfort of the boot will be the biggest factor to enjoying a comfortable day on the hill. Spend whatever you need to to get comfortable boots, he will have to try on a whole bunch. Start cheaper and go until you find the one that fits just right. Boots will pack out slightly and fit a bit looser with a bit of wear.

I had a quick look on Sportchek and came up with a few boards from last year that are reverse camber that are not junk and will be really good for a beginner. A board from 1 or 2 years ago is really quite perfect, no need to get a 2018 new board when they still have ones from 2016.

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... =331862318
https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... =331862310
https://www.sportchek.ca/product/331859 ... =331859561
https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... 51677.html

Oh, and you should buy online to get the 10% off coupon that comes when you sign up to the newsletter. Buy bindings (appropriately sizes for his boots) and the board online but keep boot purchase in person only.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1325 posts
510 upvotes
Most name brand boards are good. Avoid a used Firefly. As richardvoyageur pointed out, sportchek is a great option. I bought the 2016 Rossignol Templar for $178 Black Friday and loving it. K2 Fuse also a great option. Good learner boards with room to grow. I bought the Templar because I'm now in my 50s and can't ride a stiff board anymore, nor do I need it.

The danger of Kijiji is that if you don't know the board you want you can get one that's too stiff and hard to learn on. I bought my son's board on Kijiji but a kids board is a kids board. And, yes, get boots that fit. I spent a lot of time researching subject so feel free to pm me. I hadn't bought new stuff since 2001 and a lot has changed I found out!
Deal Addict
May 26, 2006
1525 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
If people are lost on where to start, look at some of the bigger, established brands and find their "all-mountain", do-everything models and then search for those on Kijiji. Or look up which boards are getting nominated for the best all around boards in the snowboard magazines. You'll find the same handful of models will start to pop up over and over.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)