• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2017 9:55 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
8955 posts
155 upvotes
The mention of 32 and 16GB Optane drives are per chip and not actual drives right?
it's me ramin.
Nov 29, 2007
603 posts
188 upvotes
Quebec, QC
I didn't see anyone ask why you wanted to upgrade? Do you do transfer of huge data that are taking hours ?
If you are planning to play games (I suspect because of the 1080) spending more money to replace a SSD with a faster SSD wont change a god dam thing.

Maybe you will be ready in overwatch 1 sec before everyone else.

But please tell me you have real needs :)
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
1394 posts
585 upvotes
Saint John
B0000rt wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 2:21 pm
The mention of 32 and 16GB Optane drives are per chip and not actual drives right?
As I understand it, those are per-drive, or if "drive" isnt the right word in this context, per implementation. Intel envisions Optane as more of a caching technology at this point, which is why I suggested Optane memory as a flash replacement is a ways out.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5159 posts
508 upvotes
birthdaymonkey wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 2:24 pm
As I understand it, those are per-drive, or if "drive" isnt the right word in this context, per implementation. Intel envisions Optane as more of a caching technology at this point, which is why I suggested Optane memory as a flash replacement is a ways out.
Correct, think of it as the next generation and rebranding of Intel Smart Response Technology.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
1394 posts
585 upvotes
Saint John
martbob wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 2:22 pm
I didn't see anyone ask why you wanted to upgrade? Do you do transfer of huge data that are taking hours ?
If you are planning to play games (I suspect because of the 1080) spending more money to replace a SSD with a faster SSD wont change a god dam thing.

Maybe you will be ready in overwatch 1 sec before everyone else.

But please tell me you have real needs :)
Hey man, loading into a Dota 2 match before anyone else does is the only thing that keeps me going some days (950 Pro user).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5159 posts
508 upvotes
birthdaymonkey wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 2:40 pm
Hey man, loading into a Dota 2 match before anyone else does is the only thing that keeps me going some days (950 Pro user).
Remember when you could make people get the soft ban/Failed to Ready Up when you DC before they loaded in hue hue hue. Poor HDD users.
Nov 29, 2007
603 posts
188 upvotes
Quebec, QC
A 1080 for dota 2 where the world is going Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
26505 posts
1592 upvotes
Winnipeg
martbob wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 3:24 pm
i use hex core for hearthstone
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
8955 posts
155 upvotes
martbob wrote:
Oh, you mean my 7700k w/ GTX 1080, on 34" UW 100Hz with potentially 960 Evo 1TB to play Sc2? I kid, I kid, I play alot of OW too.

As for my original use case, my SSD is 3 years old, it would be the oldest thing in my box after upgrading my 2500K, and don't want the Crucial M300 to be a potential bottleneck.
it's me ramin.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21210 posts
2188 upvotes
The reality of computing these days is you should not "wait for" anything. There's nothing too exciting coming out in the near future and the idea of "future proofing" are basically just nonsense paranoia that leads to spending more money you won't really benefit much from.

Next time you think about "waiting for" something, think of all the times things have come out in the past decade that weren't exactly anything special and how all the "wait for" clowns talk about waiting for the next thing every time :rolleyes:

E.g.

-All the people going on about "wait for Skylake" before it launched, and then when it did the same folks were like "wait for Kaby Lake!" in hopes of clearing shortcomings like lack of native HDMI 2.0 support. Now I guess we should "wait for Coffee Lake!" LOL which undoubtedly will change nothing given it's yet another "Optimization".

-All the "wait for Polaris" folks who are now going on about "waiting for" Vega :rolleyes: Yeah wait for Vega to beat Pascal, while the green fanboys are all like, "Vega? Oh yeah wait for 1080 Ti!" Of course that's out before Vega anyway, lol.

-The "wait for Ryzen" bandwagon that's slowly turned into, "wait for fixes" and "wait for Ryzen 2nd gen!" LMAO.

All these things are just stupid "wait for" games with no real purpose and no real end. You'll just keep waiting for the next thing and the thing after that, and never go anywhere if you play that game.

If you think 1st gen Optane is going to be any of cheap, without hiccups, widely adopted, or practical for the mainstream? You're probably better off thinking again. In short, don't "wait for Optane", it won't do you much good. I'm sure once Optane comes into play the idea will be to "wait for Optane 2!" or wait for whatever AMD comes up with to compete...of course :rolleyes: Either get busy gaming with your lovely system there or get busy waiting endlessly. Up to you.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
8955 posts
155 upvotes
Thanks, also saw that this morning too, I also picked up an 960 Evo 1tb this past weekend, the old SSD will replace the ancient x25m in my Plex server
it's me ramin.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21210 posts
2188 upvotes
martbob wrote:
There's people on RFD that think a 4770K, 32GB RAM, and an 850W PSU are minimum/required...to surf the internet. lol What's worse though is they actually recommend this stuff to people :facepalm: "You need it for Chrome!" as they say...meanwhile a $150 Chromebook will use Chrome fine. LMAO.
birthdaymonkey wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 8:34 am
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11208/int ... int-memory

Looks like Optane is coming to the enterprise at about $4/GB! That's about 5-6X the price of the 960 Pro.
At "only" ~$2k CDN for 375GB, it's a good thing we all waited! I guess the next waiting game is, "wait for prices to drop on 3D Xpoint!" :lol:
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9564 posts
758 upvotes
birthdaymonkey wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 8:34 am
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11208/int ... int-memory

Looks like Optane is coming to the enterprise at about $4/GB! That's about 5-6X the price of the 960 Pro.

Hopefully by the time the warranty on the 1TB 960 EVO I just ordered is up, Optane drives will be available to the masses.
I'm sure it'll be far sooner than 3 years. There's no official date, but I remember reading an article where the CEO expects 3D Xpoint memory to account for 10% of 2017 revenue. I doubt they can achieve that just with the enterprise market. But affordable like SATA SSDs are now? Maybe 3 years. lol.

It'll definitely be interesting if the 3D Xpoint can completely blur the line between RAM and HD. It's possible my next PC in 5 years could use nothing, but DIMM slots.