• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2017 9:55 am
Tags:
Nov 29, 2007
610 posts
189 upvotes
Quebec, QC
E[i wrote:S_Revenge post_id=27595196 time=1490018166 user_id=12557]
There's people on RFD that think a 4770K, 32GB RAM, and an 850W PSU are minimum/required...to surf the internet. lol What's worse though is they actually recommend this stuff to people :facepalm: "You need it for Chrome!" as they say...meanwhile a $150 Chromebook will use Chrome fine. LMAO.
[/i]

I hope this is not true. I never saw such recommendation but if it's true OH MY!

I guess more deal on kijiji for me people selling "old" i5 6600 for half the price. I got a bundle of i5 6600 with 16gb of ram and a gaming MB for 400$. Ok I will say it's rare but still.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
8983 posts
171 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 9:56 am
There's people on RFD that think a 4770K, 32GB RAM, and an 850W PSU are minimum/required...to surf the internet. lol What's worse though is they actually recommend this stuff to people :facepalm: "You need it for Chrome!" as they say...meanwhile a $150 Chromebook will use Chrome fine. LMAO.
Hey now, I had a 2500K with 2x AMD HD290s in Crossfire configuration powered by my Seasonic 1050 watt PSU (calculators put it at 860watt recommended)

Now with my 7700k and GTX1080 PSU recommendation is only 480watt, so now the PSU is OP ;)

To be fair, websites these days are pretty intensive and a Chromebook will routinely choke processing many websites.
it's me ramin.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5183 posts
513 upvotes
B0000rt wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 6:24 pm
Looks like the 32 and 16gb rumors were true

Doesn't cost much, though this might be another ReadyBoost deal...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11227/int ... ent-market

Yeah, as expected it's basically the "Next-Gen" version of Intel Smart Response. While the modules do have better latency than a SSD, I doubt you'd see that much boost from a fast one anyway (and notice they have footnotes under SATA SSD + Optane stating this). Now if you're using a HDD as your primary sure, but then you technically have it with SRT today anyway albeit normal SATA SSD's are affordable anyway so there may not be much point in dedicating one just for caching.

If money is no object you'd go with a full on high end NVMe drive anyway. What this does though I guess is give some branding/standards to the technology and concept where as right now you don't go out and buy an "Intel SRT SSD".
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9639 posts
802 upvotes
tkyoshi wrote:
Mar 28th, 2017 8:03 am

Yeah, as expected it's basically the "Next-Gen" version of Intel Smart Response. While the modules do have better latency than a SSD, I doubt you'd see that much boost from a fast one anyway (and notice they have footnotes under SATA SSD + Optane stating this). Now if you're using a HDD as your primary sure, but then you technically have it with SRT today anyway albeit normal SATA SSD's are affordable anyway so there may not be much point in dedicating one just for caching.

If money is no object you'd go with a full on high end NVMe drive anyway. What this does though I guess is give some branding/standards to the technology and concept where as right now you don't go out and buy an "Intel SRT SSD".
I can't imagine many people out there are buying this for their PC. How many people realistically have a 200 series mobo with a Kaby Lake processor and not have a SSD?

If anything, I see this as a tool for companies that sell pre-built PCs to cheap out just a little bit more. They can claim that there's a "Optane M.2 SSD" in their builds for far cheaper price than an actual NVME M.2 SSD.