• Sep 20th, 2017 4:54 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3769 posts
448 upvotes
Aurora
Very good trailer. It does what it's supposed to do. Give me a little story and make me want more. I'm excited about the show more than before.

Now, if I may, I must say The Walking Dead season 8 trailer is an example of how not to do trailers.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
2626 posts
163 upvotes
Pickering
Piro21 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2017 12:17 am
Looks nice. I can see nerds all over the internet complaining that it's 'not Star Trek', but it looks good to me.
IIRC when TNG first came out there was an uproar from the TOS fans for the same reason, not real Star Trek! how things never change :).
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1382 posts
189 upvotes
Too bad no young 7 of 9 for this new show, that girl was so hot in the 90s. This thread made me google cast members from the old shows to see what they look like. So sad to see some of them rely going to these stupid Trek conventions to put food on the table, ex: Harry Kim, that poor actor Garrett Wang nvr had any other major gigs on Tv after the show just bouncing from one expo to another for the past 17 yrs! I guess you can say this is Hollywood welfare recompense for one hit wonders or bad actors.

I am disgusted that least fave TWD actress is on this new Trek, they should bring back Jeri Ryan even in her 50s is better looking than that sasquatch.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7253 posts
698 upvotes
Victoria
Don't a lot of TV actors have the problem of not finding followup work after their original show ends? It's why you shouldn't kill the goose that lays the golden egg. Take all that dough and save it because the odds aren't in your favour of ever doing it again. At least conventions give them some kind of way to make some $$ (Rather then get some real job where people would harass you for having been an actor all day).
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9724 posts
835 upvotes
astrotrain wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2017 10:12 am
Too bad no young 7 of 9 for this new show, that girl was so hot in the 90s. This thread made me google cast members from the old shows to see what they look like. So sad to see some of them rely going to these stupid Trek conventions to put food on the table, ex: Harry Kim, that poor actor Garrett Wang nvr had any other major gigs on Tv after the show just bouncing from one expo to another for the past 17 yrs! I guess you can say this is Hollywood welfare recompense for one hit wonders or bad actors.

I am disgusted that least fave TWD actress is on this new Trek, they should bring back Jeri Ryan even in her 50s is better looking than that sasquatch.
Garrett Wang is probably one of the least successful Star Trek alumns, but fortunately for him, doing conventions is quite lucrative especially now that autographs have gone up in price dramatically and record attendance.

Probably the worst career after Star Trek goes to Jennifer Lien. No longer an actor, arrested a few years ago and completely unrecognizable now.

Interesting story involving Garrett, Jennifer and Jeri Ryan. Many of the cast signed 3 year contracts when the show started, so going into the 4th season the plan was to bring in new blood to the show (Jeri Ryan) and simply not resign someone in the cast. The original plan was to get rid of Garrett who would show up late and was lazy on set. But People magazine saved him. He was named to the 50 most beautiful people for 1997. So instead they decided to not resign Jennifer (Kes). Personally that was a bad decision as Garrett didn't bring anything to the show for the next 4 years. Makes me wonder how different Jennifer's career would have been if she lasted all 7 seasons.

The trailer looks good. Special effects are great. Strange they didn't show the new ship at all. Also Klingons still look weird.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1382 posts
189 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2017 3:52 pm
Garrett Wang is probably one of the least successful Star Trek alumns, but fortunately for him, doing conventions is quite lucrative especially now that autographs have gone up in price dramatically and record attendance.

Probably the worst career after Star Trek goes to Jennifer Lien. No longer an actor, arrested a few years ago and completely unrecognizable now.

Interesting story involving Garrett, Jennifer and Jeri Ryan. Many of the cast signed 3 year contracts when the show started, so going into the 4th season the plan was to bring in new blood to the show (Jeri Ryan) and simply not resign someone in the cast. The original plan was to get rid of Garrett who would show up late and was lazy on set. But People magazine saved him. He was named to the 50 most beautiful people for 1997. So instead they decided to not resign Jennifer (Kes). Personally that was a bad decision as Garrett didn't bring anything to the show for the next 4 years. Makes me wonder how different Jennifer's career would have been if she lasted all 7 seasons.

The trailer looks good. Special effects are great. Strange they didn't show the new ship at all. Also Klingons still look weird.
She would have been a female Wang hopping around these crappy conventions taking welfare money no matter how lucrative. Both were forgettable dry talentless characters/actors but at least Kim could have made some spicy kimchi with the hot Borg. Man, those were the days I was looking forward to each episode after she came onboard. Most of these guys that r regular to these expos must feel like titan LOSERS, constantly reminded of their has been days, at every show their crappy lives revolved around one character they did 2 decades ago. Get a real job and stop reliving the past, you freakin 50+. true stars like patrick Stewart rarely go 2 these things, their credentials are more than Mr. Picard . . . .
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9724 posts
835 upvotes
astrotrain wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2017 5:36 pm
She would have been a female Wang hopping around these crappy conventions taking welfare money no matter how lucrative. Both were forgettable dry talentless characters/actors but at least Kim could have made some spicy kimchi with the hot Borg. Man, those were the days I was looking forward to each episode after she came onboard. Most of these guys that r regular to these expos must feel like titan LOSERS, constantly reminded of their has been days, at every show their crappy lives revolved around one character they did 2 decades ago. Get a real job and stop reliving the past, you freakin 50+. true stars like patrick Stewart rarely go 2 these things, their credentials are more than Mr. Picard . . . .
Many of the bigger stars do go to conventions too. They get to charge $100+ for their autographs and are typically headliners. Take a look at upcoming Star Trek appearances: http://startrekappearances.blogspot.ca/ A good chunk of them that have nothing else going for them, but then there are those who are super busy like Jonathan Frakes who does a lot of directing work and conventions. Patrick Stewart has only one appearance coming up, but he's done many in the past. For example he was here in Toronto Fan Expo and Ottawa Comic Con a few years back. Same with the New York Comic Con and often at the San Diego Comic Con. And that doesn't include all the Star Trek conventions. To say that he rarely goes to these things is inaccurate.

Also if they are making thousands of dollars to hundreds of thousands of dollars (headliners) for a few hours of work, are they really losers?

The Kes character is far more intriguing than Kim. Especially, since her powers were still developing, there were much more you can do with that then an inexperienced Ensign go-getter. Instead of Kim, I would rather see Kes hook up with 7of9.
May 22, 2016
721 posts
90 upvotes
Ontario
Show still looks horrible. We need a show after DS9 not wedged in between enterprise and TOS. BTW poor ensign KIm only made it to captain. Wang did voice over work for STO.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10224 posts
617 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2017 6:31 pm
Also if they are making thousands of dollars to hundreds of thousands of dollars (headliners) for a few hours of work, are they really losers?
Hear, hear. Going to conventions and making $$ versus hanging out on internet deals forums. Hmm ... :)
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25041 posts
5539 upvotes
GTHA
Executive producers Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman discuss the decision to set Discovery during a time of war between Starfleet and the Klingons.

Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3130 posts
612 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2017 6:31 pm
Yeah, TBH it's better than being one of the thousands and thousands of people living in LA who are bussing tables and slinging drinks while hoping they get their shot at stardom and never do, or just get bit roles and parts as extras in random shows...
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5010 posts
1060 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
zod wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2017 10:45 am
Don't a lot of TV actors have the problem of not finding followup work after their original show ends? It's why you shouldn't kill the goose that lays the golden egg. Take all that dough and save it because the odds aren't in your favour of ever doing it again. At least conventions give them some kind of way to make some $$ (Rather then get some real job where people would harass you for having been an actor all day).
Also to never burn your bridges. Will Wheaton from TNG never could get another gig after bashing all the show execs. Very stupid.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3130 posts
612 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 12:40 pm
Also to never burn your bridges. Will Wheaton from TNG never could get another gig after bashing all the show execs. Very stupid.
I just saw him in an episode of Dark Matter, and he's looking rough... he should be grateful that they put him in so many TNG episodes...
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Penalty Box
Dec 2, 2007
792 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
I really doubt the studio will produce new series. the last series Star trek didn't fair well on TV. It had subpar ratings. Paramount pictures will be wary of making new series.