• Mar 24th, 2018 10:38 am
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1609 posts
1433 upvotes
Richmond Hill

New Stat Pay Calculation Ontario

Hi Folks,

I'm in charge of reviewing payroll before sending it out to our payroll company and I notice the calculation for News Year Day 2018 is much different than Christmas/Boxing Day calculation. We have a lot of part-time employees and it seems the new calculation benefits the employees.

For example,

Old calculation: Say you work 1 day a week at $100 per day with 4% vacation pay accrued each pay
so its gross wage over the last 4 weeks prior to that holiday + your vacation pay / 20
$416/20 = $20.80 in stat pay

New calculation:
Reg wage earned in last pay period (say Bi-weekly pay period) before that holiday / number of days worked
$200/2 = $100 in stat pay.

Is this correct? Did I miss something? Awesome for the employees, crappy for the employer I suppose if this is the new rule.
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Seems screwy to me (but then a lot of the changes they have made really bone employers up the arse, so I'm not too surprised).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Didi_beee wrote: Hi Folks,

I'm in charge of reviewing payroll before sending it out to our payroll company and I notice the calculation for News Year Day 2018 is much different than Christmas/Boxing Day calculation. We have a lot of part-time employees and it seems the new calculation benefits the employees.

For example,

Old calculation: Say you work 1 day a week at $100 per day with 4% vacation pay accrued each pay
so its gross wage over the last 4 weeks prior to that holiday + your vacation pay / 20
$416/20 = $20.80 in stat pay

New calculation:
Reg wage earned in last pay period (say Bi-weekly pay period) before that holiday / number of days worked
$200/2 = $100 in stat pay.

Is this correct? Did I miss something? Awesome for the employees, crappy for the employer I suppose if this is the new rule.
Try again at the below.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/public-holi ... calculator
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1609 posts
1433 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Yeah thats what I used in the first place and first discovered the change in how its calculated. Its a huge difference for employers who have a lot of part-time employees. My boss is more p’d off about this than a $14 min wage hike since the employees already make more than that.
Jan 10, 2018
6 posts
3 upvotes
I'm just working on payroll, too and find this quite confusing for the stat pay for New Year's Day. The old calculator they had was much more friendly-user and I'm not understanding why the difference between Christmas Day/Boxing Day vs. New Year's Day.
I always thought it was the first 4 weeks (bi-weekly) before the holiday divided by 20, though, their new scenarios are just 2 weeks divided by 10. However, when you follow the payroll calculator for Christmas Stat - it goes go by 4 weeks/20.
Does anyone know what's going on for New Year's Day and how to truly calculate it right?
Jan 10, 2018
6 posts
3 upvotes
OK - got an answer from Service Ontario: Christmas/Boxing Day is November 26 to Dec 23 (reg wages plus vacation pay). New Year's Day is Dec 17 to Dec 23 (reg wages). NEW LEGISLATION as of Jan 1/2018 (That's for bi-weekly as that is the way my payroll dates run)
Our guys are off from Dec 23 to Jan 2 so the old way the calculation would have been December 3 to Dec 30 (company would have no wages for one week so less holiday pay for Jan 1) Now I have to pay them holiday pay from wages earned Dec 17 to Dec 23. The old calculations for one of our employees would have been $90.30 for NYD, now it is $119.00. Answer is NEW LEGISLATION!
I have to admit I have a lot of frustration with everything - not every company is the same. Most retail are cash upon purchase so they get their money - we are a trade and lucky if we get paid within 45 days. Sometimes we don't get paid, our last court hearing for non-payment took 6 years and we received the amount we originally asked for but now we owe our lawyer $10,000.00. Right now, we are waiting on 2 hearings (one for $89,000.00 and one for $35,000.00). We just had another guy tell us to take him to court for $6,000.00. I still have to pay my employees, any sub-contractors and suppliers for these jobs. These are large hits to take on a business - everything is maxed out to help cover costs and in 2017, I only payed myself 4 months to cut costs (I'm not an owner who gets paid a lot to begin with: $2500/month - I get paid less than our employees as does my husband). Right now, we are seriously considering closing our business down - we are only holding on because it will feel like we are admitting we are failures as a business owner. SORRY - had to VENT!!
Last edited by MusketeerMom on Jan 11th, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1609 posts
1433 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Yup, I did a test calculation and my boss has to pay $500 more in stat pay for Jan 1 holiday vs the Christmas and Boxing day holiday combined...Good for me, I basically get 10hrs of pay extra for working only 2 days during the last pay period.

But a few of our part-timers are being let go and my schedule is shittier now starting February.
Jan 10, 2018
6 posts
3 upvotes
Another question - my employee just told me that he is to get 6% vacation now, not 4%. Is this correct? Currently, on hold for the last hour to get ServiceOntario to clarify.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2005
1146 posts
163 upvotes
MusketeerMom wrote: Another question - my employee just told me that he is to get 6% vacation now, not 4%. Is this correct? Currently, on hold for the last hour to get ServiceOntario to clarify.
If that employee has been employed for at least 5 years at your company then yes, they get bumped up to 6% vacation pay under the new legislation.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Yes, not sure why you would be on hold for this? It is a very quick google search. Finally Ontario has caught up with what many other places already had in their rules.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1609 posts
1433 upvotes
Richmond Hill
For the 6% vacation pay, does anyone know if it only applies to full timers? I am on my 6th year but I took 1 year off for mat leave and I also work part-time
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2005
1146 posts
163 upvotes
Didi_beee wrote: For the 6% vacation pay, does anyone know if it only applies to full timers? I am on my 6th year but I took 1 year off for mat leave and I also work part-time
No, the 6% vacation rule applies to all employees.
Nov 14, 2014
45 posts
24 upvotes
SK
Thank you for posting these links since I didn't even realize part-time employees were entitled to ANY holiday pay! I've been working under a "casual on-call" contract for >5 years, where my hours vary according to workload and personal preference, and have never been paid for any stat other than normal pay if I happen to work that day.

Could you please confirm if I'm reading the above info correctly that even if I don't actually work on the stat I'm entitled to the amount output by the holiday pay calculator tool? Want to make sure I understand how this works before asking HR about why I haven't been getting paid for these.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1609 posts
1433 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If you are an employee of your company, part-time, full-time, contract, casual... you are entitled to stat pay so long as you worked within the last pay period before the stat holiday. With the old rules, it was within the last 4 weeks before the stat holiday that you must have worked to be entitled. There were special rules if you were on vacation or if you had a planned leave of absence.

How do I know? One of my former employees left on a sour note and filed a claim against us about something so we were audited by the ministry of labour and told us all these rules that we should be following and how to calculate stat pay.
Dec 26, 2013
543 posts
182 upvotes
Ottawa
perhaps someone can answer this, our employer provides us with 8.5hrs in lieu per paid public holiday, yet we work 12hr shifts, no less. Shouldn't the banked time be 12hr per paid holiday as per the ESA? or is this amount negotiated by the employer?
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1609 posts
1433 upvotes
Richmond Hill
wilyam wrote: perhaps someone can answer this, our employer provides us with 8.5hrs in lieu per paid public holiday, yet we work 12hr shifts, no less. Shouldn't the banked time be 12hr per paid holiday as per the ESA? or is this amount negotiated by the employer?
Are you a salary worker? If you’re hourly, then it should be your gross wages divided by the number of days worked for the pay period before the stat holiday.
Dec 26, 2013
543 posts
182 upvotes
Ottawa
Didi_beee wrote: Are you a salary worker? If you’re hourly, then it should be your gross wages divided by the number of days worked for the pay period before the stat holiday.
hourly, our contract says we're to be paid 8.5hrs per paid holiday, but I am wondering if the ESA over rules a CBA.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)