• Sep 25th, 2014 2:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1091 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
I like the new design however I fear it may break like the old red and white health cards
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2011
1021 posts
70 upvotes
Dieppe
Cab0oze wrote: Just got my new card. I liked the old ones much better, these are plain and poorly layed out design wise.
For example, I can't see any text when its in my wallet, just the very tips of the letters, and at the bottom of the card it says "Good through:" with my name underneath it. I imagine that the date should have been somewhere near that...

Oh well.

-edit-
heh, just looked at the picture of the sample card in the letter they sent. It looks right, maybe my card was a mistake...
The "Good through" is just above the name on both mine and my spouse's, too. I otherwise don't mind the card (I very rarely use it anyway as I put almost everything on CC), but that bugs me. There should be more space, especially considering how plain the card is.
Jun 30, 2013
11 posts
Vancouver
mr_raider wrote: Has anyone tried to use the card to take money out of USD account in the US?
I got my card too. I would like to see what happens if you use the card to withdraw money in US ATMs from any of the Scotiabank alliance network. The card letter had a note that "Tangerine will waive the abm fees if used in US at any of the Scotiabank alliance network (Bank of America, BNP Paribas, Barclays, Deutsche bank 24 and Westpac." Do read that guys and don't recycle that letter if you want to test this.

PS: I have not recycled the card letter in which the card came. Kind a suspicious if this really works without any issue as I had inconvenient experience with ING before for not issuing me $50 (when I opened new account), not allowing me to withdraw USD in ING cafe and other glitches during their initial promotion period.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
finelineprinter wrote: I got my card too. I would like to see what happens if you use the card to withdraw money in US ATMs from any of the Scotiabank alliance network. The card letter had a note that "Tangerine will waive the abm fees if used in US at any of the Scotiabank alliance network (Bank of America, BNP Paribas, Barclays, Deutsche bank 24 and Westpac." Do read that guys and don't recycle that letter if you want to test this.

PS: I have not recycled the card letter in which the card came. Kind a suspicious if this really works without any issue as I had inconvenient experience with ING before for not issuing me $50 (when I opened new account), not allowing me to withdraw USD in ING cafe and other glitches during their initial promotion period.
I used to have a Bank of America account and I was able to withdraw Canadian, Australian and NZ currency without any withdrawal charges so I don't know why Scotia card (Tangerine) would be any different. If you guys are truley using the Alliance network, you have nothing to worry about.

I still haven't received my new Tangerine ATM card though... I wonder what's taking so long.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2170 posts
341 upvotes
Mississauga
ksgill wrote: I used to have a Bank of America account and I was able to withdraw Canadian, Australian and NZ currency without any conversion charges so I don't know why Scotia card (Tangerine) would be any different. If you guys are truley using the Alliance network, you have nothing to worry about.

I still haven't received my new Tangerine ATM card though... I wonder what's taking so long.
Can you withdraw CAD from tangerine in India if you withdraw from global alliance partner Deutsche bank? They have branch in Ludhiana.
Oh sada kehra bapu karda black nee, Jehra tere shahir (Toronto), Le lawan flat nee
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1091 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
ksgill wrote: I used to have a Bank of America account and I was able to withdraw Canadian, Australian and NZ currency without any conversion charges so I don't know why Scotia card (Tangerine) would be any different. If you guys are truley using the Alliance network, you have nothing to worry about.

They sent me an email stating that the new card was on it's way. The card arrived about a week after that email.
If you don't receive it, you could always call in and request one.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
4349 posts
1588 upvotes
Vancouver

I believe there is still a 2.5% surcharge built into the conversion fee but the service charge (usually $2 with Tangerine, $5 with the big banks) is waived. It's nice for small ATM withdrawals abroad but anything significant could be put on something like the Chase no-fx cards so you only get dinged $5, period.
Removed external link in signature.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
lhsonic wrote: I believe there is still a 2.5% surcharge built into the conversion fee but the service charge (usually $2 with Tangerine, $5 with the big banks) is waived. It's nice for small ATM withdrawals abroad but anything significant could be put on something like the Chase no-fx cards so you only get dinged $5, period.
Actually, you are right. I meant ATM fees and not conversion fees, you'll still pay the 2.5% but no withdrawal fees.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
MehtabS wrote: Can you withdraw CAD from tangerine in India if you withdraw from global alliance partner Deutsche bank? They have branch in Ludhiana.
I haven't but no reason why you can't. As noted, you will still pay conversion (2.5%) but there won't be any [ATM] fees to withdraw cash.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
2005 posts
696 upvotes
Montreal
Just got mine
loox awesome!
feels strange though
wonder how long this card'll last o_O
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
gogoblender wrote: Just got mine
loox awesome!
feels strange though
wonder how long this card'll last
o_O
That bad eh? Cheap plastic?
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2170 posts
341 upvotes
Mississauga
ksgill wrote: I haven't but no reason why you can't. As noted, you will still pay conversion (2.5%) but there won't be any [ATM] fees to withdraw cash.
Is there a way to transfer CAD without converting to INR so I can take it to private exchange and get better rates.
Oh sada kehra bapu karda black nee, Jehra tere shahir (Toronto), Le lawan flat nee
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
MehtabS wrote: Is there a way to transfer CAD without converting to INR so I can take it to private exchange and get better rates.
Hawala? That will allow you to convert at private exchange prices.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2170 posts
341 upvotes
Mississauga
ksgill wrote: Hawala? That will allow you to convert at private exchange prices.
There are people in india willing to pay me to convert their blk to wht.
Jan 19, 2009
61 posts
29 upvotes
Montreal
Joelllle wrote: The "Good through" is just above the name on both mine and my spouse's, too. I otherwise don't mind the card (I very rarely use it anyway as I put almost everything on CC), but that bugs me. There should be more space, especially considering how plain the card is.
Heh, glad I'm not the only one!
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
ksgill wrote: Actually, you are right. I meant ATM fees and not conversion fees, you'll still pay the 2.5% but no withdrawal fees.
But if you have a tangerine USD account, you can pull money out of there? Or only the main chequing?
Jun 17, 2009
491 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
Got my new Tangerine card last week, not going to activate till Sept 28. There are way more exchange network ABMs than Scotia ABMs around where I live. Sad to see them go after this.
Personal Finance Blog
http://penniesatplay.blogspot.ca
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2011
1021 posts
70 upvotes
Dieppe
pchi wrote: Got my new Tangerine card last week, not going to activate till Sept 28. There are way more exchange network ABMs than Scotia ABMs around where I live. Sad to see them go after this.
New card or not you can still use Exchange Network ATMs until that date.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1914 upvotes
TO
finelineprinter wrote: I got my card too. I would like to see what happens if you use the card to withdraw money in US ATMs from any of the Scotiabank alliance network. The card letter had a note that "Tangerine will waive the abm fees if used in US at any of the Scotiabank alliance network (Bank of America, BNP Paribas, Barclays, Deutsche bank 24 and Westpac." Do read that guys and don't recycle that letter if you want to test this.

I have used it personally recently on a trip to Houston and w/d $400US from a BofA atm and was not charged a fee, just usual converstion (came out to $426 from my tangerine).
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Jan 4, 2008
90 posts
40 upvotes
Scarborough
pchi wrote: Got my new Tangerine card last week, not going to activate till Sept 28. There are way more exchange network ABMs than Scotia ABMs around where I live. Sad to see them go after this.
Used my new tangerine card at various exchange network ABMs as well as Scotia ABMs and wasn't charged any fees.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)