• Oct 27th, 2014 10:45 am
Tags:
None
Sep 30, 2014
16 posts
1 upvote
Bowmanville, ON

New or Used Hot Tub?

What are your thoughts on or experience with purchasing a used hot tub? I don't want to shell out thousands on new....
4 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
AJ1980 wrote: What are your thoughts on or experience with purchasing a used hot tub? I don't want to shell out thousands on new....
Guess it depends on what you are getting. We bought a Arctic Ocean Epic swim spa (14'x7') tub fully loaded (salt, onzen, peakII, forever base, covers w/lifts, sound system, lights for less than 1/2 of what it would cost new and 2/3 of what we could get during YE sales. It was the owners own and was replacing with an inground pool. We still got 3+ years of warranty and have called them out several times without issue. Of course, used was still 18k
Sep 30, 2014
16 posts
1 upvote
Bowmanville, ON
What would I look for when purchasing a used hot tub to ensure it will work ?
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11955 posts
3699 upvotes
Kingston
We bought a used Arctic Spa tub this summer. We hired a mover who also repaired hot tubs so we had him inspect the tub before we bought it to gain some confidence. I replaced all the jets (cheap) and the blower (cheap and easy but a waste of time since the blower is not enjoyable). Very happy so far. But realistically it will be a few years before we know if we got a deal or not.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
Personally, I'm way to cheap to buy a new tub but it's definately a buyer beware thing as hot tubs do break down and can be expensive to fix. Somethings are easy / cheap, some are more (e.g. circuit board, heater, pumps). Leaks can be very expensive or impossible to get fixed right (or they can be easy to fix, just depends on the leak).