Shopping Discussion

New Wal-mart at Markham Rd / Steeles Ave?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2009 1:01 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 24, 2006
567 posts
11 upvotes

New Wal-mart at Markham Rd / Steeles Ave?

I see a lot of construction happening on the southwest corner of Markham Rd and Steeles. Rumours are that a new Wal-Mart is coming. Other neighbours say it's a Lowes. Others say it's a Chinese mall. Does anyone know the truth? And when do they expect it to be built?

Thanks in advance
124 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4774 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
It's a Lowe and a new "Asian" Mall.
Mark77 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2011 9:37 pm
That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1903 posts
Toronto
Its a huge chinese mall, similar to pacific mall.. Its gonna locate south of steeles.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7765 posts
158 upvotes
its not a rumor... their was a letter sent around by the area councilor 2 yrs ago with all the plans for the area.. i personally don't shop at Walmart and i think the area should have been put to better use does Scarborough really need another asian themed mall?.
[OP]
Sep 24, 2006
567 posts
11 upvotes
Thanks for the info guys.

Anyone know when the Wal-mart and Asian mall are supposed to open?
Jul 7, 2005
685 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
there is gonna be an indian themed mall in that area too. i can only imagine the chaos that will ensue at that intersection once they are built
Nov 1, 2003
898 posts
Let's get some things straight. I live right across from the construction facing steeles so I have a little info from the construction people.

1) There will be a wal-mart and a lowes opening up. I think like a tag team type thing.

2) Chinese mall will be closer to the middlefield side rather than the markham rd side.

3) Indian mall, I believe will be built near mcnicole where the open blotch of land is now.

4) When the chinese mall opens and there is no parking and any of you park on my street so that I can't play street hockey, I'm going to break windows. OMG ITS NUMBER 4 TOO! :twisted:
Jan 8, 2007
396 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
i live in the area. great info! didn't know about this :)
[OP]
Sep 24, 2006
567 posts
11 upvotes
Thanks for the info guys. My cousin lives just east of Markham Rd and Steeles. When I told him about all the ruckus he rolled his eyes saying that there will be too much traffic.

But I told him that along with the traffic, the property values in the area will go up as well. He didn't believe me and said that house prices will go down cuz of all the traffic chaos. I think he's nuts. Am I right or wrong?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
2732 posts
1 upvote
Ontario, CANADA
Ngo_35 wrote:
May 16th, 2008 5:15 pm
Let's get some things straight. I live right across from the construction facing steeles so I have a little info from the construction people.

1) There will be a wal-mart and a lowes opening up. I think like a tag team type thing.

2) Chinese mall will be closer to the middlefield side rather than the markham rd side.

3) Indian mall, I believe will be built near mcnicole where the open blotch of land is now.

4) When the chinese mall opens and there is no parking and any of you park on my street so that I can't play street hockey, I'm going to break windows. OMG ITS NUMBER 4 TOO! :twisted:
hopefully, there will be a no parking bylaw passed on your street during the shopping hours. if there isn't, you should get the neighbours together any get that done somehow. your street is not for the malls customers.

an asian grocery store opened in the same plaza as my friends business and their customers constantly park in the spot that is reserved for his customers. He gets quite the thrill from calling the tow trucks and watching the cars get removed, and then laughing at the fools who park in his spot without shopping in his store, wonder where their car is.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
hank755 wrote:
May 16th, 2008 8:49 pm
Thanks for the info guys. My cousin lives just east of Markham Rd and Steeles. When I told him about all the ruckus he rolled his eyes saying that there will be too much traffic.

But I told him that along with the traffic, the property values in the area will go up as well. He didn't believe me and said that house prices will go down cuz of all the traffic chaos. I think he's nuts. Am I right or wrong?
I would say you are right because:

since he is in east of Markham, the traffic would be indifference for him. People lives east of him already have to go through him now before they could go shopping either going north or south on Markham or going west on Steeles. There should not have added traffic because of the new shopping area. For people who lives west of him, they won't drive through west of Markham.

His home will be close to a lot of shopping facilities without added traffic (because of the shopping malls) going through his area. Also, they are not close enough to have teenagers fooling around. His property value should go up because of this factor and this factor alone.

His property value may not go up for other reasons such as there will indeed have more traffic because more houses will be built east of his (regardless if these shopping malls are built or not).
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4336 posts
85 upvotes
GTA
Ahh.. they've been planning this Landmark Mall for years... its' not going to be open until Fall 2010
× < >