Page 1 of 7

New Wal-mart at Markham Rd / Steeles Ave?

Posted: May 15th, 2008 2:16 pm
by hank755
I see a lot of construction happening on the southwest corner of Markham Rd and Steeles. Rumours are that a new Wal-Mart is coming. Other neighbours say it's a Lowes. Others say it's a Chinese mall. Does anyone know the truth? And when do they expect it to be built?

Thanks in advance

Re: New Wal-mart at Markham Rd / Steeles Ave?

Posted: May 15th, 2008 2:22 pm
by user01
It's a new mall

Posted: May 15th, 2008 2:27 pm
by whampoa
It's a Lowe and a new "Asian" Mall.

Posted: May 15th, 2008 2:28 pm
by azin sansation
Its a huge chinese mall, similar to pacific mall.. Its gonna locate south of steeles.

Posted: May 15th, 2008 2:36 pm
by nano
its not a rumor... their was a letter sent around by the area councilor 2 yrs ago with all the plans for the area.. i personally don't shop at Walmart and i think the area should have been put to better use does Scarborough really need another asian themed mall?.

Posted: May 15th, 2008 4:05 pm
by Jon Lai
nano wrote: does Scarborough really need another asian themed mall?.

yes~!

Posted: May 16th, 2008 11:21 am
by hank755
Thanks for the info guys.

Anyone know when the Wal-mart and Asian mall are supposed to open?

Posted: May 16th, 2008 1:06 pm
by Amuthini
there is gonna be an indian themed mall in that area too. i can only imagine the chaos that will ensue at that intersection once they are built

Posted: May 16th, 2008 1:15 pm
by Ngo_35
Let's get some things straight. I live right across from the construction facing steeles so I have a little info from the construction people.

1) There will be a wal-mart and a lowes opening up. I think like a tag team type thing.

2) Chinese mall will be closer to the middlefield side rather than the markham rd side.

3) Indian mall, I believe will be built near mcnicole where the open blotch of land is now.

4) When the chinese mall opens and there is no parking and any of you park on my street so that I can't play street hockey, I'm going to break windows. OMG ITS NUMBER 4 TOO! :twisted:

Posted: May 16th, 2008 1:47 pm
by Sheek
i live in the area. great info! didn't know about this :)

Posted: May 16th, 2008 4:49 pm
by hank755
Thanks for the info guys. My cousin lives just east of Markham Rd and Steeles. When I told him about all the ruckus he rolled his eyes saying that there will be too much traffic.

But I told him that along with the traffic, the property values in the area will go up as well. He didn't believe me and said that house prices will go down cuz of all the traffic chaos. I think he's nuts. Am I right or wrong?

Posted: May 17th, 2008 9:21 pm
by help_questions
Ngo_35 wrote: Let's get some things straight. I live right across from the construction facing steeles so I have a little info from the construction people.

1) There will be a wal-mart and a lowes opening up. I think like a tag team type thing.

2) Chinese mall will be closer to the middlefield side rather than the markham rd side.

3) Indian mall, I believe will be built near mcnicole where the open blotch of land is now.

4) When the chinese mall opens and there is no parking and any of you park on my street so that I can't play street hockey, I'm going to break windows. OMG ITS NUMBER 4 TOO! :twisted:
hopefully, there will be a no parking bylaw passed on your street during the shopping hours. if there isn't, you should get the neighbours together any get that done somehow. your street is not for the malls customers.

an asian grocery store opened in the same plaza as my friends business and their customers constantly park in the spot that is reserved for his customers. He gets quite the thrill from calling the tow trucks and watching the cars get removed, and then laughing at the fools who park in his spot without shopping in his store, wonder where their car is.

Posted: May 17th, 2008 9:35 pm
by gman
hank755 wrote: Thanks for the info guys. My cousin lives just east of Markham Rd and Steeles. When I told him about all the ruckus he rolled his eyes saying that there will be too much traffic.

But I told him that along with the traffic, the property values in the area will go up as well. He didn't believe me and said that house prices will go down cuz of all the traffic chaos. I think he's nuts. Am I right or wrong?
I would say you are right because:

since he is in east of Markham, the traffic would be indifference for him. People lives east of him already have to go through him now before they could go shopping either going north or south on Markham or going west on Steeles. There should not have added traffic because of the new shopping area. For people who lives west of him, they won't drive through west of Markham.

His home will be close to a lot of shopping facilities without added traffic (because of the shopping malls) going through his area. Also, they are not close enough to have teenagers fooling around. His property value should go up because of this factor and this factor alone.

His property value may not go up for other reasons such as there will indeed have more traffic because more houses will be built east of his (regardless if these shopping malls are built or not).

Posted: May 20th, 2008 11:12 am
by pintobean
FYI: The asian mall that is being built is going to be called "The Landmark".
Here's the website: http://www.thelandmarkcanada.com/thelandmark/

Posted: May 20th, 2008 11:46 am
by ferkel
Ahh.. they've been planning this Landmark Mall for years... its' not going to be open until Fall 2010

Posted: May 20th, 2008 6:19 pm
by molala
gman wrote: I would say you are right because:

since he is in east of Markham, the traffic would be indifference for him. People lives east of him already have to go through him now before they could go shopping either going north or south on Markham or going west on Steeles. There should not have added traffic because of the new shopping area. For people who lives west of him, they won't drive through west of Markham.

His home will be close to a lot of shopping facilities without added traffic (because of the shopping malls) going through his area. Also, they are not close enough to have teenagers fooling around. His property value should go up because of this factor and this factor alone.

His property value may not go up for other reasons such as there will indeed have more traffic because more houses will be built east of his (regardless if these shopping malls are built or not).

There's actually many houses were build in that are in the past few years...i'm actually moving into that area in a couple months too.....i can see where the traffic part comes from because Steeles narrowed to one lane once you go east of markham....it's already a hassle now..but with the new stores...they'll probably expand it...give them few more years..

yes..teh value of the property will definitely go up....in fact...we bought our new house a year ago and it's not even ready yet but the price already went up $10,000

Posted: May 20th, 2008 7:12 pm
by gman
molala wrote: There's actually many houses were build in that are in the past few years...i'm actually moving into that area in a couple months too.....i can see where the traffic part comes from because Steeles narrowed to one lane once you go east of markham....it's already a hassle now..but with the new stores...they'll probably expand it...give them few more years..

yes..teh value of the property will definitely go up....in fact...we bought our new house a year ago and it's not even ready yet but the price already went up $10,000
I would say they will have to expand it regardless if there are new stores. People from new area need to come out to the existing CT, No Frills, T&T, Costco, Home Depot, Staples, etc. And, God forbidden, Pacific Mall. ;)

Posted: Jun 2nd, 2008 1:24 pm
by Sheek
pintobean wrote: FYI: The asian mall that is being built is going to be called "The Landmark".
Here's the website: http://www.thelandmarkcanada.com/thelandmark/
interesting stuff, thanks for the link

Posted: Jun 2nd, 2008 2:27 pm
by ferkel
it looks like the project might be in trouble. There has been nothing happening since groundbreaking of July 2007.

Posted: Jul 7th, 2008 12:23 pm
by Sheek
ferkel wrote: it looks like the project might be in trouble. There has been nothing happening since groundbreaking of July 2007.
source?