Wheels and Tires

New to Winter Driving - Suggestions on the cheapest deal for 4 Winter Tires + Rims - 2011 Mazda 3 Sedan

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2019 5:20 pm
Aug 19, 2019
428 posts
565 upvotes

New to Winter Driving - Suggestions on the cheapest deal for 4 Winter Tires + Rims - 2011 Mazda 3 Sedan

Hi Guys, I am new to the GTA and a winter driving virgin. I got a used 2011 Mazda 3 GS Sedan (16 inch rims) a couple of months ago and have no idea where to shop for the best deals on winter tires + plus rims.
I looked at Costco heres the breakdown of the cheapest options tires + rims i have:

Tires - BFGoodrich - 588$
Rims - Black Steel Wheels - 248$
Installation Package - 80$ (4 * 19.99$)
Total out the door (including taxes) - 1003$

There is no way i can afford that much :(. I am hoping to be under 600$ for all the above. Any suggestions would be immensely appreciated.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
6365 posts
776 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe look into used. You might get more responses if you post in the tires section under automotive. I got mine from www.4tires.ca. You can look at tire and wheel sets there. I took a quick look and they have a bunch that are cheaper than what you posted. They come delivered with the tire installed on rims and balanced. All you have to do is get them put on your car. Usually costs $20-30 after. You can also look at downsizing to 15" if they clear your calipers. This will help you save money.
Aug 19, 2019
428 posts
565 upvotes
Thank you. I will look up 4tires. Since i had little idea about winter driving, i initially thought of not even bothering to get winter tires. But after looking up online and talking to a few friends, i would be extremely stupid not to get winter tires.
Thanks again.
Jun 5, 2016
608 posts
804 upvotes
User11223344 wrote: Thank you. I will look up 4tires. Since i had little idea about winter driving, i initially thought of not even bothering to get winter tires. But after looking up online and talking to a few friends, i would be extremely stupid not to get winter tires.
Thanks again.
There are a few online tire dealers. I got mine from Quattro Tires because they have free shipping out to BC.

When you get them in the mail, you can easily put them on the car yourself. Best to use a torque wrench (~$40 from Princess Auto or Can tire on sale).
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3079 posts
1699 upvotes
Toronto
If you're in Toronto then I think there are usually group deals going on around the middle to end of October for winter tires. For new, I don't think you can get less than $600 these days. I bought a set about 14 years ago from Wheels Direct (just East of Sheppard Ave E and McCowan Rd) with black steel rims that included balancing and installation for $600 but that was part of a group buy.

If you buy used then make sure the rims fit your car. I think you're looking at the "bolt pattern" which looks to be 5 x 114.3mm for a 2011 Mazda3. Please double check this.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Aug 19, 2019
428 posts
565 upvotes
Thanks again guys. Looks like I definitely need to up my budget get by atleast 200$.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Nothing wrong with used if you can find a pair that fits properly and in good shape
If uncertain ... take along a friend who knows cars when you buy

Winter tires are an investment
Both in your safety
And for the vehicle
Makes sense to buy NEW when one buys a new car
(Cost to years owned = makes sense)

Not so much if a used vehicle
Or a vehicle you won’t have a long while

Lots of folks sell their Winter tires as slightly used
Cuz they bought them new
But got rid of the car, before the tires wore out
Always good deals to be found on used winter tires

But as I said, KNOW WHATS WHAT
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Here you go, - http://simplytire.com/winter/mazdapdf.pdf First Page Mazda 3

Best tires (Option 12) you can buy are cheaper then what you got from costco. There are also other good tires for less on the list.

Option 12 package with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 82R $830

Or their cheapest is just under $600

User11223344 wrote: Hi Guys, I am new to the GTA and a winter driving virgin. I got a used 2011 Mazda 3 GS Sedan (16 inch rims) a couple of months ago and have no idea where to shop for the best deals on winter tires + plus rims.
I looked at Costco heres the breakdown of the cheapest options tires + rims i have:

There is no way i can afford that much :(. I am hoping to be under 600$ for all the above. Any suggestions would be immensely appreciated.
Last edited by sickcars on Oct 8th, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2015
5100 posts
4404 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You can get wheels + tires in good condition for $500ish on kijiji. If you are lucky, you might get alloys + tires under that. I sold my 2014 OEM alloys + Toyo tires in good condition for $500 as I was eager to get rid of them. On a 2011 car I wouldn't spend too much. All day, erryday search on kijiji.
Dec 1, 2009
59 posts
37 upvotes
Ottawa
For steelies.... look or call caps. They have better deals. Stay away from the tires.

Tires, if u are in Ottawa. Tire trade or https://www.avenuetiredepot.com/Mobile

If you are at caps and you buy steelies, they will balqnce amd install your tires for 10 per tire.

Also if you are looking for aquapel windshield treatment. Its 7.00

Good luck.
Jul 20, 2009
136 posts
73 upvotes
I would definitely speak to someone at Simply Tire. You may be able to downsize your winter tires to a 15" rim instead of a 16" rim. If that's possible you're looking at $660+tax and tire fee - early bird RFD discount for the Altimax Arctic 12.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1294 posts
1241 upvotes
I like the title the OP made for this thread. New to winter driving get me get some cheap tires.

Uh duh. Maybe someone inexperienced in these conditions should be looking for the best rather than the worst?

I understand wanting to save $$ but even a small bump into something during bad conditions will end up costing plenty.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7100 upvotes
West GTEH!
User11223344 wrote: Hi Guys, I am new to the GTA and a winter driving virgin. I got a used 2011 Mazda 3 GS Sedan (16 inch rims) a couple of months ago and have no idea where to shop for the best deals on winter tires + plus rims.

Good luck getting new 16" winter tires + 16" steel rims + installation + tax = $660 TOTAL for your Mazda3.
Initially it will cost you $$ for your winters, but you amortize this initial cost over 4 or 5 years. You'll have to suck it up and accept the initial cost. Sorry, no way to say it better.

I went through the same costs ( and reality check) when I bought my 1st set of winter tires + rims.
😎
Aug 19, 2019
428 posts
565 upvotes
Webhead wrote:
Good luck getting new 16" winter tires + 16" steel rims + installation + tax = $660 TOTAL for your Mazda3.
Initially it will cost you $$ for your winters, but you amortize this initial cost over 4 or 5 years. You'll have to suck it up and accept the initial cost. Sorry, no way to say it better.

I went through the same costs ( and reality check) when I bought my 1st set of winter tires + rims.
Thank you. Yes, I bit the bullet and ended up ordering the above at costco itself. Got a 70$ ecard with the promo. So total came down to about 933$ out the door.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7100 upvotes
West GTEH!
User11223344 wrote: Thank you. Yes, I bit the bullet and ended up ordering the above at costco itself. Got a 70$ ecard with the promo. So total came down to about 933$ out the door.
Glad you decided to spend the $$ initially. Now you don't have to worry about buying winter tires for the next 4-5 years. And the safety for you and your passengers of winter tires that brings with it.
😎
Aug 19, 2019
428 posts
565 upvotes
Webhead wrote: Glad you decided to spend the $$ initially. Now you don't have to worry about buying winter tires for the next 4-5 years. And the safety for you and your passengers of winter tires that brings with it.
Yes, when it comes to safety, it's a no brainer. Sure I could have searched around and gotten the whole thing for a couple of hundred bucks cheaper. But costco is like 3 kms from my place and we go there all the time. Also lifetime free rotation and balancing will save me money long term.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1294 posts
1241 upvotes
Congrats on your new tires. Put them on as late as you can and get them off as soon as you can. Driving winter tires in temps above 7C degrade your tires and shorten their lifespan especially long highway runs.

Get a good tire pressure guage and check your pressures when the tires are cold and the sun isn't beating down on them.

Maintain the tire pressure using the plaque on your door frame or your owners manual.

Assume that the shop that installed your tires did not inflate them properly. Every time I have checked the next day they have been impropely inflated. Use a torque wrench to tighten your wheel lug nuts and check torque after driving 100kms.

Temperature has a big impact on tire pressures. Cold lowers pressure heat makes it rise. Adjust accordingly.

Don't store your tires in bags when they are dirty and wet. Rinse them off and let them dry before putting them away.

If you havent had a wheel alignment for awhile or bought a used car get one done.

All these steps will ensure you get the most out of your tires and keep you safe.