Travel

New York by train - Grand Central or Penn?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2019 9:41 pm
[OP]
Sep 1, 2015
87 posts
10 upvotes

New York by train - Grand Central or Penn?

Will be in NY in August to see Hamilton on Broadway. We’ve been there once (direct flight in Newark) and stayed Midtown. This time looking to drive to Connecticut(from NB) and take train to avoid driving inNYC. Either from Stamford or elsewhere to Penn or Grand Central. I see Amtrak goes to Penn and MTA goes to Grand Central.

Thoughts on which line would be better? Honestly I only thought of Amtrak and friend mentioned I should consider Grand Central bcause is real close to Midtwon.

Thanks
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1651 upvotes
The Northeast corridor is pretty convenient but $$. Take the Amtrak to Penn.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Jul 20, 2012
637 posts
174 upvotes
Toronto
For reference Penn. Station is a 15 min. walk to Times Square and Midtown. So either station is close to Midtown.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7914 posts
882 upvotes
Vancouver
Grand central station is worth looking at regardless of which station you choose
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Nov 26, 2012
165 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
I just saw Hamilton on Broadway in October. It was incredible. You will have a great time.

I don't consider Grand Central better located than Penn. In my opinion, both are equivalently situated to Times Square/Broadway theatres (Penn to the south, GC to the east). Where are you staying in Manhattan and are you taking the subway or cab to the hotel/airbnb/etc? Penn has more subway lines accessible but GC is a much nicer experience.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4252 posts
1312 upvotes
Moncton
Penn Station has a better location, but you are in the basement. Grand Central is above ground and grand , if not that central.

If you want to cut down on driving, you can park for free at the Bangor Concord bus station across from the airport (Amtrak only goes as far as Portland). Greyhound now leaves from the rural station South-West of town. South Station in Boston has a manned luggage facility if you want to visit Boston between your Concord and Greyhound (or Amtrak) onward journey to NYC. Luggage storage in NYC is nearly impossible.
Getting to the Boston airport from South Station is on almost non-stop city bus via mostly tunnels on reserved lanes (and free in one direction).
https://concordcoachlines.com/

Presqu’iles PQI airport has subsidized United flights to Newark. C$350 return if you pack lite enough to store your bag under the seat. However, flying out of Bangor is often cheaper thanks to the competition (and being closer to New York).
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7914 posts
882 upvotes
Vancouver
MonctonMan wrote: Penn Station has a better location, but you are in the basement. Grand Central is above ground and grand , if not that central.

If you want to cut down on driving, you can park for free at the Bangor Concord bus station across from the airport (Amtrak only goes as far as Portland). Greyhound now leaves from the rural station South-West of town. South Station in Boston has a manned luggage facility if you want to visit Boston between your Concord and Greyhound (or Amtrak) onward journey to NYC. Luggage storage in NYC is nearly impossible.
Getting to the Boston airport from South Station is on almost non-stop city bus via mostly tunnels on reserved lanes (and free in one direction).
https://concordcoachlines.com/

Presqu’iles PQI airport has subsidized United flights to Newark. C$350 return if you pack lite enough to store your bag under the seat. However, flying out of Bangor is often cheaper thanks to the competition (and being closer to New York).
Ive never used it but my understanding is left luggage in nyc isn’t that hard some google provides some innovative luggage storage uber style. You’d think with 9/11 you wouldn’t but seems possible

https://luggagehero.com/guide-luggage-storage-nyc/

http://www.cbhluggagestorage.com
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.