[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
5310 posts
480 upvotes
Vancouver

new YVR outlet mall(coach etc) attracted heavy traffic

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3144952
Traffic heading to and from the Vancouver International Airport is backed up on Thursday afternoon due to a new McArthurGlen luxury mall that opened Thursday morning.

Airport officials are advising travellers to give themselves extra time if they're booked on a flight.

"If you choose to drive and are travelling today, please allow extra time on roadways to YVR from Vancouver and Richmond," said a news release from YVR.

"If you are going to YVR or the designer outlet centre today, we recommend taking the Canada Line."

Richmond RCMP were directing traffic, telling travellers to stay in the left lane on Grant McConachie Way and those heading to the outlet mall to stay right.
21 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4297 upvotes
What are some of the high end brands they carry?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12493 posts
1901 upvotes
City of Vancouver
These r the brands at the YVR location: http://www.mcarthurglen.com/en/brands/? ... &op=294272

Not sure if they will eventually include the brands shown in the previous post.

I could be wrong. I never went. Anyone here go?

I was surprised at seeing the crowd outside Coach on the news. Thought that brand was played out eons ago, LMAO.
De gustibus non est disputandum
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
5310 posts
480 upvotes
Vancouver
The inbound vehicular traffic to the outlet mall was as such that it caused some flight delays as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
3049 posts
630 upvotes
I was watching Global(?) coverage of it and it looks like it is located in Asia as I only saw Asians in it.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1196 posts
342 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
wal3145 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2015 4:28 pm
I was watching Global(?) coverage of it and it looks like it is located in Asia as I only saw Asians in it.
No. It's because in foreign countries, these products cost insane amounts of money so it's cheaper to buy it in Canada and send it "back home" to friends and family (wouldn't be surprised if it's re-sold).
Same thing happened at the location in Milton, traffic was horrible for atleast 4-6 weeks and then the hype died down.

What's surprising is that all the stuff is made in China, sold to Canada and then sent back to friends and family in China.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2063 posts
442 upvotes
Vancouver
One thing I found out recently is that most of these stores have their specific outlet inventory, ie. its like their B-grade inventory that is specifically made for the outlets. All the handbag stores have this, Kate Spade, Coach etc. all have their specific outlet inventory which is not even available on their regular website lineup. As for the other stores, you can just check the quality of the materials and you'd soon find that the outlet clothing has a lot more repairs done to them, especially for clothings like t-shirts and shorts, if you flip them inside out you will see a lot of knots. Not all stores does this but most do.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21606 posts
2349 upvotes
libballeng wrote:
Jul 10th, 2015 5:38 pm
One thing I found out recently is that most of these stores have their specific outlet inventory, ie. its like their B-grade inventory that is specifically made for the outlets. All the handbag stores have this, Kate Spade, Coach etc. all have their specific outlet inventory which is not even available on their regular website lineup. As for the other stores, you can just check the quality of the materials and you'd soon find that the outlet clothing has a lot more repairs done to them, especially for clothings like t-shirts and shorts, if you flip them inside out you will see a lot of knots. Not all stores does this but most do.
Obviously because they need to maintain some exclusivity
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14055 posts
3011 upvotes
Well yeah, if their stock is taken from retail inventory it would be all unwanted stock, odds and ends, etc.

I don't usually find deals at outlets for that reason.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Dec 8, 2014
138 posts
21 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Becks wrote:
Jul 10th, 2015 1:48 pm
These r the brands at the YVR location: http://www.mcarthurglen.com/en/brands/? ... &op=294272

Not sure if they will eventually include the brands shown in the previous post.

I could be wrong. I never went. Anyone here go?

I was surprised at seeing the crowd outside Coach on the news. Thought that brand was played out eons ago, LMAO.
I went on opening day. The place looked really nice but I was disappointed at the fact that the majority of the stores on the website were not open yet (it felt like 50% were not open, unsure on my accuracy). Some unopened stores had their store signs up, some didn't. I feel that they should have waited until at least almost everything was ready before the grand opening. I did hear that everything should be ready by year's end.

No large food court like Seattle premium. Had some small food stands with snacks and saw three food trucks, including Japadog. Ice cream place was quite expensive: $5 for one scoop and $9 for two. I did notice that there will be a couple of larger restaurants opening in the future.

Deals looked decent for the short period of time I was there. I wasn't interested in anything that was open so I wasn't there for long. Prices could be comparable to Seattle premium except in Canadian dollars. Selection wise I am not sure.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
22453 posts
8226 upvotes
2009M5 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2015 4:38 pm
No. It's because in foreign countries, these products cost insane amounts of money so it's cheaper to buy it in Canada and send it "back home" to friends and family (wouldn't be surprised if it's re-sold).
Anyone else find it hilarious that we go to China for cheap knockoffs and they come here for "premium" brands?

What's surprising is that all the stuff is made in China, sold to Canada and then sent back to friends and family in China.
That's also entertaining.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12493 posts
1901 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I was initially interested in going because Ports 1961 was there and it's been a while since their Burrard store closed. However, I saw one of their outfits on CTV and it looked "vanilla and polyester-like".
De gustibus non est disputandum
Jan 3, 2015
112 posts
43 upvotes
Delta, BC
In China, luxury goods are heavily taxed. High-end shops in Hong Kong have constant lineups from mainland shoppers since goods are tax free there. There have also been incidents of guys smuggling iphones (made in China) into China bought in HK (interesting pic if you google it).
Feb 18, 2007
321 posts
13 upvotes
416 Land
This place will be just lovely getting to during the Boxing Day and Black Friday sales. :cheesygri