• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2017 7:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2006
4732 posts
197 upvotes

New Zealand car rental

So I'm planning a trip to New Zealand and am wondering if anyone has any good car rental places I should look at?

So far I've thought of rent a dent and Apex. Both have '0 excess coverage'. I'm kind of iffy on this, but will spend a bit I guess for peace of mine (~18/day). This is for a week so 126 for the excess coverage.

Apex = 2010 Corolla ($445) and Rentadent is Mazda Demio (1.6L engine supposedly late model @ $360) and Nissan Tiida or Equiv (1.6L engine probably 2008-2011 @ $420)

I've seen more reviews for Apex and only a couple for rentadent. For $450 at rentadent I could get a late model Kia Magentis or similar (2.2L engine). I'm sure this will cost a lot in gas though...

At 9L/100km I'm calculating gas costs around $500.

Anyone try theses companies or any other suggestions?
7 replies
Apr 19, 2016
9 posts
3 upvotes
I dont know about which company to recommend. I used apex when i was there. What i would suggest is that you rent a small car if your not familiar driving there. The roads were way too tight for me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2006
4732 posts
197 upvotes
bemat786 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 10:55 am
I dont know about which company to recommend. I used apex when i was there. What i would suggest is that you rent a small car if your not familiar driving there. The roads were way too tight for me.
Ah thanks.
Aug 24, 2011
50 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver
We used Jucy and Scotties on our recent trip. Jucy was ok to deal with, much slower checkout than a typical big name rental company, but had no problems and the price was great. Scotties is really small and while our experience was ok, I think I would prefer Jucy or a bigger provider. Go with as small a car as you can fit. Gas is $2 plus a litre in some places and depending on where you are there are very narrow roads with high speed limits.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
1864 posts
383 upvotes
killoverme wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 12:35 am
So I'm planning a trip to New Zealand and am wondering if anyone has any good car rental places I should look at?

So far I've thought of rent a dent and Apex. Both have '0 excess coverage'. I'm kind of iffy on this, but will spend a bit I guess for peace of mine (~18/day). This is for a week so 126 for the excess coverage.

Apex = 2010 Corolla ($445) and Rentadent is Mazda Demio (1.6L engine supposedly late model @ $360) and Nissan Tiida or Equiv (1.6L engine probably 2008-2011 @ $420)

I've seen more reviews for Apex and only a couple for rentadent. For $450 at rentadent I could get a late model Kia Magentis or similar (2.2L engine). I'm sure this will cost a lot in gas though...

At 9L/100km I'm calculating gas costs around $500.

Anyone try theses companies or any other suggestions?
Yes!! I rented from Apex in Auckland just outside the main airport almost exactly 1 year ago.
I had a great experience. I got a Nissan Tiida and everything was great. Not a brand new car, but everything in good condition. No troubles whatsoever.
Drove all around the North island. Remember, gas is expensive over there too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2006
4732 posts
197 upvotes
SomeOtherDude wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 10:35 pm
Yes!! I rented from Apex in Auckland just outside the main airport almost exactly 1 year ago.
I had a great experience. I got a Nissan Tiida and everything was great. Not a brand new car, but everything in good condition. No troubles whatsoever.
Drove all around the North island. Remember, gas is expensive over there too.
Ah thanks =)
Jan 30, 2013
327 posts
20 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
I went with Gorentals.
Uneventful but note generally rental cars are more expensive and older in NZ.
Also note meaning of insurance terms may differ from Canada and even from Australia it seems.
Beware of non-payment even if you bought the max insurance. and I opted not to use my credit card to waive CDW as I dont know how the NZ system will interpret that.
eg
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g2 ... Regio.html
Jan 30, 2013
327 posts
20 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
ascguy wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 4:45 pm
We used Jucy and Scotties on our recent trip. Jucy was ok to deal with, much slower checkout than a typical big name rental company, but had no problems and the price was great. Scotties is really small and while our experience was ok, I think I would prefer Jucy or a bigger provider. Go with as small a car as you can fit. Gas is $2 plus a litre in some places and depending on where you are there are very narrow roads with high speed limits.
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g2 ... Regio.html
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel