Art and Photography

Newbie overwhelmed picking a lens/retailer! Please help!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2015 12:12 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 18, 2010
44 posts
27 upvotes
Beaver Dam

Newbie overwhelmed picking a lens/retailer! Please help!

I recently purchased a Canon SL1, and it's my first DSLR, I've always just used point and shoot. I've quickly realized after playing around with it for the past few weeks that I need a zoom lens. Nothing crazy, just something to catch wildlife etc from a distance.

I'm looking at two options:
-75-300 OR
-55-250 IS

I know that IS is best option for quality vs. a bit higher zoom without IS.

I've been scanning all over the place. Amazon, Henry's (used), blacks, Future Shop, The Source etc etc.

I'm feeling very overwhelmed as I don't know what lens is the best one to get for my budget (under $200) factoring in shipping, duties (which is why I'm hoping for a Canadian vendor), warranty etc.

What lens do you recommend? Even within those 2 options there are other different options (II vs III, AF vs USM etc etc...I'm lost!) And point blank, which is the best online retailer to buy it from, hoping for as cheap as possible while protecting myself?

Thanks in advance!
17 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
1288 posts
324 upvotes
Halifax, NS
You should really consider buying second hand. Both of these lenses will fall into the beginner category, meaning they are cheaper and have lesser optical quality than some more expensive lenses. But that does not mean they are not valuable. In fact, they are probably both good choices for you, based on what you've described.

Both will allow you to get used to the world of DSLR and will help you determine what your needs are. If your camera came with an 18-55mm lens, then I would suggest getting the 55-250mm lens, so that you can see the progression in range. The 75-300mm lens will leave you with a gap that you will likely find yourself in frequently (55-75mm).

The 55-250mm will also probably be cheaper and the IS will help compensate a little with hand shaking, until you get used to shooting.

Either choice, they will probably be quite a bit cheaper if you buy used on Kijiji or on the RFD forums. If you find you enjoy the hobby and want to get better lenses later, you can sell this one for not much less than you paid. No point in paying premium price, plus taxes for it.

At least, that is my opinion.
Nov 12, 2012
781 posts
514 upvotes
Calgary
I have to agree with Darryl here, you're still learning so buy used. Cheaper than renting in the long term because you can re-sell it for very close to what you paid if you wait for the right deal.
I would suggest the 55-250, or even the 70-300. Both are superior to the 75-300.
Penalty Box
Aug 16, 2014
1043 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto, ON
for the price of those cheap EFS plastic lenses

just find a good used 70-200 F4L non IS.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2002
1608 posts
479 upvotes
lissdawn wrote: I recently purchased a Canon SL1, and it's my first DSLR, I've always just used point and shoot. I've quickly realized after playing around with it for the past few weeks that I need a zoom lens. Nothing crazy, just something to catch wildlife etc from a distance.

I'm looking at two options:
-75-300 OR
-55-250 IS
Add another vote for the 55-250, it's actually a very decent lens for the price. Don't be afraid to buy used lenses, that will give you the best bang for your buck. Sears cleared them out at around $179.00 last year, you should be able for find used ones around that price. Since you have the SL1, get the STM version of that lens if possible. The reviews say that the STM lens has a bit better optical performance than the non-STM versions and your SL1 can do continuous auto focusing in video mode with STM lenses. I have seen used for around $200. Whichever version you choose, you will be well served until you are ready to move up to L lenses. ;)
Feb 18, 2010
44 posts
27 upvotes
Beaver Dam
Thanks all, your help is very much appreciated! I found a new 55-250 IS on Amazon.ca for 199.99 all incl. by a decently reviewed/established seller, fullfilled by Amazon.ca so gives me piece of mind above and beyond the 1 year warranty. It sounds like the perfect beginner/starter zoom lens for me and my purposes for now. :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5264 posts
2270 upvotes
Vancouver
250 is a little short for wildlife imho.

I know that even a used 70-400 is going to be too much $$$ and even then, 400mm is usually not long enough.

The OP should keep their eyes open for deal on a Tamron 200-500. With the introduction of the Tamron 150-600 and now the Sigma 150-600 Sport, there are a lot of Tamron 200-500 owners putting these up for sale. I figure the best time to buy will be this spring. The 200-500 could be had new for $950 so I'd expect used prices between $500 and 650.

I would have suggested the Tamron 70-300 IS as an interim lens. Very sharp and good colors/contrast. But I've never seen it lower than $375 CAD.

http://www.photoprice.ca/product/03707/ ... price.html

Sep 28, 2009
425 posts
49 upvotes
GTA
I would agree that buying used is the way to go. I know some folks like the comfort a warranty and a brand new lens but for the most part used lenses are not a problem. I have bought and sold many used lenses. In fact when I sold all my high end Sony lenses the used lenses I had bought were noted by buyers as pristine. Your dollar goes a lot further buying used.

The Tamron 200-500 is also a good choice for a budget (in a manner of speaking) to get a longer lens.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3228 posts
964 upvotes
Mississauga
if you're going to buy used, (and I think you should), the onus is on you to do your due diligence.

So, above and beyond mounting the lens and shooting with it. You want to check the following:

1) obvious signs of physical damage to the body or front/rear elements
2) Check that the aperture blades are smooth and snap back.
3) Open the blades (manually if possible with an aperture lever) and look through the rear and front elements to see if there's any hazing or signs of mold. Dust is normal especially for an older lens and shouldn't affect your images.
4) Check the filter threads. If they're bent or won't accept a filter it's a dead giveaway that the lens has undergone some kind of impact.

I also like to shoot the lens wide open to see how sharp it is. After that I quickly check F4, 11. But that's it.

Some lenses are absolute crap wide open. Take the Nikon 50 1.4D. I've had to turn down 3 sellers before I found a copy that was decent enough shot from wide open.

Another time a guy tried to sell me a Nikon 35-70 2.8D. A great lens in its own right, but even stopped down every shot looked overexposed. So I took the lens off and manually flicked the aperture lever and the blades closed back slowly. So I looked at the guy and asked him if he was aware that there was gunk on the blades...he said no. I passed.

That said, 9/10 times I've never had an issue buying used.
Oct 21, 2007
183 posts
29 upvotes
Get the newer 55-250 STM.

It is a much better lens than the 55-250 IS or IS II. For only about $50 more, the 55-250 STM is sharper, has much better Auto Focus, and a non-rotating front element.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
2002 posts
1465 upvotes
msowsun wrote: Get the newer 55-250 STM.

It is a much better lens than the 55-250 IS or IS II. For only about $50 more, the 55-250 STM is sharper, has much better Auto Focus, and a non-rotating front element.
According to the trusted review site photozone, 55-250 IS and STM have about the same quality (both got 3 stars for optics and mechanics):

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/411-c ... 0d?start=2
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/878-c ... tm?start=2

I wouldn't spend extra 50$ for the STM version unless you gonna do a lot of video.

In terms of retailer - amazon.ca often has good deals on the IS lens. Right now you can get it for 178-180 CAD + tax (free shipping):

http://www.amazon.ca/Canon-55-250mm-Tel ... non+55-250

The listing does mention "Warranty: 1 year", so presumably this is not grey market, but you can doble check with them. This is "fulfilled by Amazon" listing, but the actual sellers (Unreal, and Seths) have high ratings (>97% for >1000 reviews), so I wouldn't worry.
Oct 21, 2007
183 posts
29 upvotes
pulsar123 wrote: According to the trusted review site photozone, 55-250 IS and STM have about the same quality (both got 3 stars for optics and mechanics):

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/411-c ... 0d?start=2
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/878-c ... tm?start=2

I wouldn't spend extra 50$ for the STM version unless you gonna do a lot of video.

In terms of retailer - amazon.ca often has good deals on the IS lens. Right now you can get it for 178-180 CAD + tax (free shipping):

http://www.amazon.ca/Canon-55-250mm-Tel ... non+55-250

The listing does mention "Warranty: 1 year", so presumably this is not grey market, but you can doble check with them. This is "fulfilled by Amazon" listing, but the actual sellers (Unreal, and Seths) have high ratings (>97% for >1000 reviews), so I wouldn't worry.
I have owned both versions and while the older IS or IS II is a great lens for the money, I will continue to tell everyone to spend a little more for the STM version.

Photozone says it is "marginally" sharper but everyone else says it is noticeably sharper. Looking at the Photozone charts for 200mm and 250mm shows it is clearly sharper so the commentary seems to be misleading. Even if it were the same sharpness, the improved AF performance and non-rotating front element are easily worth $50 more. The new STM version is also better built with a nicer, tighter fitting, smoother, zoom action. it no longer feels like a cheap "Kit" lens. Same goes for the 18-55 STM.

[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/ms ... g~original[/IMG]

"The Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM is an obvious choice for those on a budget. It can deliver high quality results with only a few compromises. Despite the new optical design, the differences are fairly marginal compared to the initial EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS. However, the non-rotating front element as well as the STM are notable improvements in this comparison. Well done Canon ... again!"

Here is what SLR Gear says about it: http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=1634

Sharpness
The 55-250mm ƒ/4-5.6 is impressively sharp for a ''kit'' lens, even when set to its widest apertures. Canon has definitely improved upon its previous 55-250mm offerings, where there was some corner softness at its widest apertures; with the STM version of the 55-250mm, it's super-sharp, even when used wide open.

The Digital Picture charts also shows the STM version is sharper: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... &APIComp=0

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... -Lens.aspx

"When we look at a comparison between the 55-250mm IS STM and the 55-250 IS II, the new lens is looking remarkable. The STM delivers significantly better image quality than the IS II from 135mm through 250mm – even when stopped down to f/8. The improvement can be seen in the center of the frame and the difference in the corners is dramatic."
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
2002 posts
1465 upvotes
If you are casual about photography, the STM advantage over IS will be totally not worth the price difference. If you are getting more serious about it, then either of the two lenses are in the same league, just a stepping stone towards better lenses. I had IS briefly and wasn't impressed much, sold it almost immediately. I ended up getting a good copy of 70-200 f4L, and couldn't be happier.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1399 posts
301 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
I had the 55-250 IS. Used, the STM version is about $50 more and with it.
Dec 14, 2008
722 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto
lissdawn wrote: I know that IS is best option for quality vs. a bit higher zoom without IS.
Not always. Check the reviews and consider how you'll be using it. For example, on a tripod you'd disable IS anyway as it would actually hinder the sharpness of your shot.
Oct 21, 2007
183 posts
29 upvotes
Most IS lenses have tripod sensing. No need to turn off the IS.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3228 posts
964 upvotes
Mississauga
Would like to point out that those mtf charts are really only applicable when shooting on a tripod. When handheld, sharpness is really about technique.