Cell Phones

Newbie question - Koodo and way to limit usage?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2013 8:29 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28313 posts
821 upvotes

Newbie question - Koodo and way to limit usage?

Got my son a Galaxy II phone, and the $20/month Koodo plan (w/o data). We want to protect ourselves from his going over the $20/month or someone accessing the phone and running up a bill. Can this be done? Otherwise, we'll cancel and go pre-paid.
26 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11097 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto
Since you don't have a data plan, make sure you call Koodo and at least block data on your account. You may be able to block long distance calls as well.

Put a security code for your sim and phone. This way, you need to know the sim before you can unlock the phone and sim.

Not sure that there is a way to limit yourself to $20/month unless Koodo offers this feature.

If he's not a talker, you might want to go with Speakout after unlocking the phone.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28313 posts
821 upvotes
He's not a talker but he isn't very careful either. My concern is his losing the phone and someone running up a bill, or his doing something he doesn't realize will bring additional charges. Going with Speakout is what I want to do be meeting resistance from my wife.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11097 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto
hagbard wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 7:19 pm
He's not a talker but he isn't very careful either. My concern is his losing the phone and someone running up a bill, or his doing something he doesn't realize will bring additional charges. Going with Speakout is what I want to do be meeting resistance from my wife.
I know exactly where you're coming from. Prepaid may be your best bet and Speakout is pretty good. They have a promo where you buy a $100 card, get a free phone and sim. If you activate before Dec 31, you get an additional $25 in air time. The airtime lasts for a year.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
3827 posts
330 upvotes
Barrys Bay
Simple, put on prepaid and make them pay for usage! If the use more minutes , they realize they need to spend more $. If less they have budgetted themselves.

As for loosing phone, etc and overage, its the same if it happened to your phone.......crap happens.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3115 posts
320 upvotes
I have to agree with others... Get on prepaid... There are no woops I have a 100 bill this month
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28313 posts
821 upvotes
I put the Speakout sim in it, it still said "loading Koodo" when starting up, and said "invalid sim card" so I guess its locked?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11097 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto
hagbard wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 8:29 am
I put the Speakout sim in it, it still said "loading Koodo" when starting up, and said "invalid sim card" so I guess its locked?
It's locked. You could try the free unlocking method if you're willing to try it.

Here are two sets of instructions: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/rcss-sam ... k-1268866/

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/rcss-sam ... 268866/12/
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28313 posts
821 upvotes
We'll likely pay to unlock it, just reading the instructions has me confused. Reading from the link here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... +not+exist

has me thinking all I need to do was do this:

Click "DISMISS" on the Enter Unlock Code screen after the phone start up.

Wait a minute for the phone to power on and settle down.

Go to dailer screen. press *#197328640#.

press [1]DEBUG SCREEN
Press [8]PHONE CONTROL
Press [5] SIMULATION
Press [6] NETWORK LOCK
Press [3] PERSO SHA256 OFF
Wait exactly 30 seconds
press the menu key on the phone and select back option. This will take you back to NETWORK LOCK screen.
Press [4] NW LOCK NV DATA INITIALLIZ
Wait exactly one minute and reboot the phone.
Should be unlocked.
I tried this on T-989 UVLE1 original ROM with root ON.
I haven't tested it on any other version or ROMs or any other phone.

But it sounds like I have to do something before that by reading your link. I don't want to do anything that would brick the phone.

BTW, on this site:

http://www.mobilexpresscanada.com/index ... cts_id=314

They list my phone, the T989D, but the model number isn't the same, there's is KOODOSAMSGS2X, Mine is KHSAMGLXYSIIX. Will their unlock key even work?

update: tried the above method, didn't work. BTW, Network Lock wasn't option 6 it was option 4. Tried it three times, didn't work. Tried it also with the Koodo sim in it still didn't work.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28313 posts
821 upvotes
Another thing, people keep talking about "radios". Do I have to change the "radio" to get it to work on Speakout? Even after buying an unlock code?
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3115 posts
320 upvotes
The unlock is going to cost you $20.... There is no need to change anything to make it work on another provider.... Once unlocked the phone will work with all Canadian providers except public mobile...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28313 posts
821 upvotes
Kewl, but when I went to MobileXpress Canada it was $15. Waiting for my code.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3115 posts
320 upvotes
hagbard wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 2:10 pm
Nice !!!!
I looked high and low last week for $15 unlock codes for that darn thing... I guess that is the one place I didnt look..
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11097 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto
hagbard wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 2:10 pm
Good price. I'm cheap so I used the free unlock method.

Your son will love the phone.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28313 posts
821 upvotes
shushwap wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 2:17 pm
Nice !!!!
I looked high and low last week for $15 unlock codes for that darn thing... I guess that is the one place I didnt look..
Who else offers it?
× < >