• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2019 3:23 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 23, 2017
947 posts
364 upvotes

Newborn Baby Photoshoot?

Does anyone have any experience or can comment on a newborn baby photoshoot? I am in the Etobicoke area if that matters.

Thanks!
Got that Zoomer account!
12 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1748 posts
137 upvotes
Mississauga
My tips....
1) Newborn photogs generally want to do them in the first 2 weeks while they're still "sleepy"
2) I prefer getting a photographer that will come to your house rather than having to go their studio. leaving a house for an appointment with a newborn is difficult at the best of times .
[OP]
May 23, 2017
947 posts
364 upvotes
jandumm wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 2:51 pm
My tips....
1) Newborn photogs generally want to do them in the first 2 weeks while they're still "sleepy"
2) I prefer getting a photographer that will come to your house rather than having to go their studio. leaving a house for an appointment with a newborn is difficult at the best of times .
Good tip. Any idea of a decent one in Etobicoke area?

Someone on this board must have done a shoot like this, any help would be appreciated.
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9031 posts
1162 upvotes
Toronto
Save money and do it yourself.

Even a new iPhone can do great photos. Use a DSLR or ask someone who has one. I have lots of friends who are camera geeks, they would love the chance to practice and take photos. And your friends would probably take hundreds/thousands of shots, and they would probably process them "photoshop" for you too. All for free.

I think its even more meaningful if a friend/relative did it. When they grow up, you show the baby these phtos, "Uncle Jack took these photos for us"

Google the photos online and copy them. Get a white, black , etc paper background, use sunlight near a window. Use software or the actual lens to blur the background.

Poses are the same ones: in a basket, in the palm of your hands, their little hand in your hand, everyone naked from shoulder up for a family photo, etc. then print some out in big canvas or 8x10
[OP]
May 23, 2017
947 posts
364 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 5:04 pm

Even a new iPhone can do great photos. Use a DSLR or ask someone who has one. I have lots of friends who are camera geeks, they would love the chance to practice and take photos. And your friends would probably take hundreds/thousands of shots, and they would probably process them "photoshop" for you too. All for free.

I think its even more meaningful if a friend/relative did it. When they grow up, you show the baby these phtos, "Uncle Jack took these photos for us"

Google the photos online and copy them. Get a white, black , etc paper background, use sunlight near a window. Use software or the actual lens to blur the background.

Poses are the same ones: in a basket, in the palm of your hands, their little hand in your hand, everyone naked from shoulder up for a family photo, etc. then print some out in big canvas or 8x10
this is a good idea!
Got that Zoomer account!
Mar 24, 2015
801 posts
219 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
rfdrfd wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 5:04 pm

yup agree.

You can easily get the props and fluffy blanket on amazon, etsy, etc. First few weeks when they sleep all the time is ideal, but I had no trouble at 3 months as well.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2003
1110 posts
37 upvotes
I know this is an old thread but for people reading please do not try to attempt copying newborn poses yourself. Most of the photos are photoshopped (removing hands and other support). It is really dangerous especially for first time parents to attempt it themselves. Do yourself a favour and hire an experienced newborn photographer or just snap simple shots.

I did newborn photos at 7 days at a studio and also had someone come to my house at one month. I have only come across one photographer that travels to your home. She was amazing.
Apr 30, 2013
526 posts
233 upvotes
Centre of the earth …
Some people are just super cheap. Many DIY photoshoots I have seen are really done poorly. No attention to the small details, background or the actual outfit of the kids.

You get what you pay for :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8230 posts
875 upvotes
I do my own baby photos. I have plenty of experience with general photos, editing, and gear. For each kid I went out and bought more outfits and accessories.

Just some points for those deciding to do them in house or hiring out...

-around 1 to 2 weeks old is the best time. Baby's are past the "beat up" newborn look but still small. They are also super sleepy which makes it easier.
-feed just before a shoot to have them sleepy and posable.
-warm up the photo room with a heater to make sure it's comfortable if the pics are basically naked with only outfits.
-assume baby will pee/poo during the shoot. Either hide a diaper or have the area pee ready
-be flexible and patient. Assume you'll need a few hours. You don't know babies sleep patterns yet. It may take a few feed/sleep cycles to get all the photos you want
-above poster is correct. A lot of pro shots are photoshopped. There are hands/supports that are erased in post processing.
Apr 30, 2013
526 posts
233 upvotes
Centre of the earth …
Stock R wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 9:55 pm
I do my own baby photos. I have plenty of experience with general photos, editing, and gear. For each kid I went out and bought more outfits and accessories.

Just some points for those deciding to do them in house or hiring out...

-around 1 to 2 weeks old is the best time. Baby's are past the "beat up" newborn look but still small. They are also super sleepy which makes it easier.
-feed just before a shoot to have them sleepy and posable.
-warm up the photo room with a heater to make sure it's comfortable if the pics are basically naked with only outfits.
-assume baby will pee/poo during the shoot. Either hide a diaper or have the area pee ready
-be flexible and patient. Assume you'll need a few hours. You don't know babies sleep patterns yet. It may take a few feed/sleep cycles to get all the photos you want
-above poster is correct. A lot of pro shots are photoshopped. There are hands/supports that are erased in post processing.
Power to you. Great tips.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
1757 posts
869 upvotes
My daughter actually got up when we were doing the photos. Which is even better, coz she actively posed for photos and it all turned out much better than we had initially hoped for. :)