• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2017 1:28 am
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes

Newborn car seats - worth it?

Is it possible to just get like a Diono convertible from birth and use that until they are toddlers

Chicco Nextfit etc. - these newborn seats seem to only last 8 months but cost about 300.

Is it really worth it and necessary to get a newborn seat?
Seems the main advantage is that they are lighter so you can pick up the baby if she or he is sleeping..and if this is the case, are there cheaper ones on the market? (or just use the big convertible car seats)
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
31 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15866 posts
4742 upvotes
Ottawa
Unless your newborn is on the larger size, I don't believe he/she would fit in a convertible carseat.
The advantage of newborn seats with the detached based is for ease of loading and unloading; without to much disruption to the child if they are asleep.
Nov 13, 2013
721 posts
245 upvotes
OTTAWA
There are convertible seats that start at 5 pounds. Sometimes with an infant insert. As above says detaching the base is the advantage of infant seats. This is most useful if you live in the suburbs and will be driving a lot to visit people and run errands. We mostly drive with baby only for shopping and rarely use this feature. Generally we find it easier to take the baby out and put in a wrap when grocery shopping for example. If you don't drive everyday I have found babies don't really like sleeping in the car seat.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9170 posts
3276 upvotes
Ottawa
These car seats are the best. thing. ever.

When your baby outgrows them and you can't toss that shell seat from the car to a shopping cart, or carry it around in and out of places by the handle you will miss it. Trust me.

Plus I'm not sure why you would cheap out...it's a f'in human being. You don't need to pay $300...there all over Kijiji and CL for like $100-$120.

EDIT: $80 with base barely used:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-baby-stroller-ca ... nFlag=true

It's a no brainer really...
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9582 posts
1245 upvotes
Toronto
I know of some who 'cheaped' out and regretted it big time.

When your 7 day old is sleeping in your car seat, and you have to worry about their head flopping even with a neck brace on, as you go to the doctor for follow-ups, you're going to wish you had the infant carrier.

Even when they're older, at a few months to even a year, it's winter and you have to rush in from the driveway, or have to go to the store, you'll wish you could just lift up that carrier and plop it into a stroller. Or even popping into a restaurant or fast food, you'll wish that you had a carrier to place on a chair or on the floor as they sleep.

Basically, don't cheap out and get the infant carrier seat w/base and stroller to carry that carrier. You won't regret it.
Aug 5, 2008
150 posts
91 upvotes
fogetmylogin wrote:
Jun 21st, 2017 9:05 am
There are convertible seats that start at 5 pounds. Sometimes with an infant insert. As above says detaching the base is the advantage of infant seats. This is most useful if you live in the suburbs and will be driving a lot to visit people and run errands. We mostly drive with baby only for shopping and rarely use this feature. Generally we find it easier to take the baby out and put in a wrap when grocery shopping for example. If you don't drive everyday I have found babies don't really like sleeping in the car seat.
I don't drive often and I found the infant car seat useful. My baby naps in the car seat way way better than the stroller, easier to move him out of the stroller, carry him around, or put him down, easier to cover the baby for naps and kept him warmer in the winter. If I had Uppababy Vista, maybe it would be a different story.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
4158 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
Don't buy the seats used, it's your newborn for god sakes, spend the cash and buy a new one. There is no telling how many times the seats are dropped or damaged when buying used.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3825 posts
534 upvotes
Richmond Hill
springdays wrote:
Jun 20th, 2017 7:41 pm
Is it possible to just get like a Diono convertible from birth and use that until they are toddlers

Chicco Nextfit etc. - these newborn seats seem to only last 8 months but cost about 300.

Is it really worth it and necessary to get a newborn seat?
Seems the main advantage is that they are lighter so you can pick up the baby if she or he is sleeping..and if this is the case, are there cheaper ones on the market? (or just use the big convertible car seats)
Yes. There are cheaper ones.

Cosco brand - $106
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/cosco-juve ... 0196784661
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes
Thanks everyone, my OH wanted to save some money but I'll let her know...
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16459 posts
1764 upvotes
Montreal
They last more than 8 months. Depending on the kid, you can get 12 or 14 months out of them. Get one with the highest height rating (not weight) you can find.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1484 posts
393 upvotes
Sudbury
Yes worth it.

Simply for the ease of putting your child into your vehicle. Just drop it in and click it to the base.

You will appreciate this in the winter/when it is raining.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8499 posts
12858 upvotes
Scarborough
greg123 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2017 2:06 pm
Don't buy the seats used, it's your newborn for god sakes, spend the cash and buy a new one. There is no telling how many times the seats are dropped or damaged when buying used.
Couldn't agree more. Even if it looks perfect on the outside you don't know what kind of abuse it might have gone through.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Oct 16, 2007
983 posts
240 upvotes
The convenience is worth it imo. Espically in the winter months, because you can take the car seat inside the car seat reamins warm. You can cover the infant car seat and not have to worry about wind/weather.
- Insert Soemthing here so you will be able to recoginze me.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes
Thanks again everyone. The question then is how much to cheap out on in terms of a new infant seat.

eg Chicco is $300 but has good reviews, but as enwhyRFD pointed out, I can find ones cheaper - even around $100.

Would these still work well for the 8 months or so or are they typically much poorer quality/heavy?
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14114 posts
4577 upvotes
springdays wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 6:38 pm
Thanks again everyone. The question then is how much to cheap out on in terms of a new infant seat.

eg Chicco is $300 but has good reviews, but as enwhyRFD pointed out, I can find ones cheaper - even around $100.

Would these still work well for the 8 months or so or are they typically much poorer quality/heavy?
You will be fine with the lower priced seats. They will meet all the government mandated safety standards. The seat serves the purpose of transporting your child in the car - it is not like a stroller where there will be many different variations that make a difference.

The most important part is installing the seat per the instructions. And, if they say not to use anything with it (padding around neck, etc.) that you do not.