• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2017 12:18 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5005 posts
695 upvotes
springdays wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2017 6:53 pm
Thanks everyone, my OH wanted to save some money but I'll let her know...
What's OH? I've heard of DH, DD, DS, etc.
springdays wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 6:38 pm
Thanks again everyone. The question then is how much to cheap out on in terms of a new infant seat.

eg Chicco is $300 but has good reviews, but as enwhyRFD pointed out, I can find ones cheaper - even around $100.

Would these still work well for the 8 months or so or are they typically much poorer quality/heavy?
The seats will work until they grow to 1" below the top of the seat. Sometimes this means their feet are dangling off the front, but it's fine. The major difference between the seats is the weight. So, if you're strong enough, it really doesn't matter which brand it is. For example, the Nuna Pipa is about 3lbs lighter than the Britax B-safe. However, the Pipa is $400 vs $225 for the Britax. Or free if you buy a $650 Britax B-Ready stroller during specific "free ride" events.

Costco has an Evenflo unit for $160 including shipping.
https://www.costco.ca/Evenflo-LiteMax-3 ... 37766.html
Last edited by rf134a on Jun 26th, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9302 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto
Go for the lighter seat. Highly unlikely your child will come close to the max weight at around 1 yrs old.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
1963 posts
91 upvotes
Do you plan on getting a stroller? make sure you can get one that will work with the car seat. BTW the detachable car seat is a life saver, when the baby is sleeping you can detach it and still bring your baby out. It act as a seat when you go out to dinner, etc..
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3745 posts
496 upvotes
Richmond Hill
rf134a wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 12:48 pm
What's OH? I've heard of DH, DD, DS, etc.
"Other Half" I believe.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2016
369 posts
123 upvotes
zzricezz wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 4:00 pm
Do you plan on getting a stroller? make sure you can get one that will work with the car seat. BTW the detachable car seat is a life saver, when the baby is sleeping you can detach it and still bring your baby out. It act as a seat when you go out to dinner, etc..
We bought a Graco stroller and compatible car seat - thanks everyone.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3558 posts
435 upvotes
Aurora
Cas77 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2017 10:56 am
These car seats are the best. thing. ever.

When your baby outgrows them and you can't toss that shell seat from the car to a shopping cart, or carry it around in and out of places by the handle you will miss it. Trust me.

Plus I'm not sure why you would cheap out...it's a f'in human being. You don't need to pay $300...there all over Kijiji and CL for like $100-$120.

EDIT: $80 with base barely used:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-baby-stroller-ca ... nFlag=true

It's a no brainer really...
What ⬆he said...
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6927 posts
949 upvotes
I picked a 1st safety infant seat for a 100$ brand new. Looking at the prices, they seem to have gone up in price over the past 2 years?

It lasted until my daughter was 2 years old. I recently picked up a convertible last week.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9302 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto
EPcjay wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 11:06 am
I picked a 1st safety infant seat for a 100$ brand new. Looking at the prices, they seem to have gone up in price over the past 2 years?

It lasted until my daughter was 2 years old. I recently picked up a convertible last week.
Probably due to the lowered Canadian dollar. All this stuff is imported in.
Jul 31, 2015
169 posts
59 upvotes
AB
The bucket car seats are awesome, and fit a newborn much better than the convertible ones. Honestly being about to have the baby sleep and just gently add/remove the bucket from the base in the car is a godsend.
May 5, 2009
355 posts
147 upvotes
Vancouver
BC Women's won't let you leave until you have your child strapped into the car seat / carrier. Convertible car seats are not accepted.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4651 posts
380 upvotes
Scarborough
ya hospital won't let u leave unless u have the car seat. Just buy the travel system from walmart.