• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2017 10:01 pm
[OP]
Oct 11, 2013
64 posts
4 upvotes
Markham, ON

Newcomer To Canada

I am looking for some advice and options for my cousin who, while not exactly a newcomer to Canada, has no formal education here. She has been here a few years and taken some ESL classes, but mostly worked odd jobs. She had a steady retail job for a while but got laid off, and it was after this that she was informed of Second Career.

We looked at some programs at Seneca but the pre-requisites look like they might be a problem since she didn't attend any high school here. Even some programs that only require English (or English equivalency), I looked at the practice English Assessment Test on their website and I am not sure she would do too well on it. Even if they still grant her admission into a program, I don't want her to struggle afterwards.

From the ESL classes she has been taking, she is at about a level 5 or 6. Her math and science is also at a very, very basic level. I saw that Seneca has an Academic Upgrading program, but that requires a level 7. I am looking for some suggestions on options. Should she continue taking the ESL classes she is taking, or is there a way she could accelerate this?
Koodo $35 Unlimited Canada-Wide Calling With 1GB Data
5 replies
[OP]
Oct 11, 2013
64 posts
4 upvotes
Markham, ON
Thanks for the information but I don't know how well she would with online courses. I think it might be better for her to be in a classroom interacting with others.
Apr 13, 2010
109 posts
25 upvotes
Oh man. Looks like its an uphill climb. Respect for her to try and get things going. The good thing is that focusing on language is a bare essential.

I was an exchange student in China for a period of time and I could not come close to any of the language proficiency exams with in class instruction without the use of network and practice groups (contrived term to really mean friends that will speak the local language). I learned ALOT faster when I had local friends and used social media to get to them. It was nothing but Chinese. And the social app had a translate function that allowed me to see the messages convert back to English. Probably got closer to a level 3-4 from a level 1 proficiency in the HSK Chinese proficiency test in that period just by talking and going to buy groceries on the street.

How old is your cousin? Would you say she's socially adaptable or technology adaptable? Your question in asking the forum for tips to accelerate the ESL process belies the difficulty in learning the language - its beyond language; requires cultural and social integration because the forum for practicing these languages require these skills. In my opinion, unless the ESL is too easy for her, she should not give up that route because it hasn't "accelerated" her learning. I would in fact go the other route and double down her ESL learning with some sort of social integration medium (local groups, family, friends). She'll learn a lot faster.

Math is probably more of a rote practice and memorization, so a classroom environment should be sufficient.
[OP]
Oct 11, 2013
64 posts
4 upvotes
Markham, ON
Sorry for the late response. Thank you for the information and advice. She is 30. She is somewhat socially adaptable, not really technologically adaptable.

I see what you're saying about social integration. The problem is she often has reservations about doing it. She gets afraid sometimes if she needs to call somebody. She will either get me to do it, or if I push her to do it she will get me to coach her on exactly what to say.

I was also looking for places where she can take free math and science courses that start from the absolute basics.