Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

16gb 2133mhz DDR3 SDRAM $70.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2016 12:46 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16760 posts
8093 upvotes

[Newegg] 16gb 2133mhz DDR3 SDRAM $70.99

This is great RAM! It was on sale a couple of weeks ago for $69.99 just as a reference. I have 32gb of it in my rig and it's running great. I did have to use XMP profile #2 for 100% stability, apparently they have the second profile for compatibility (the timings and speeds are identical with both profiles).

Also, I tried overclocking mine to 2400mhz at 1.65 with standard timings for that speed and it is completely stable. The timings I used were 11-13-13-31. Then I tried setting the memory multiplier to 24 in my BIOS and I left everything else on "auto" and it ran the memory at 10-16-16-36 and it's completely stable! CAS 10 at 2400mhz, that's very impressive IMO. 2600mhz and above will post but I can't get it stable and I don't want to push more than 1.65v.

You should be able to get free shipping to a locker.

Also, don't hesitate with this deal if you're interested. It sold out within an hour last time!

Enjoy! :)

*edit* Some people are having issues with the free InPost shipping. YMMV.

*edit 2* Use coupon code CEMCEJGH37 to bring the price down to $70.99!

Thanks to manoy385 for the updated deal!
44 replies
Oct 4, 2010
348 posts
200 upvotes
I'm not expert with memory timing but looks like it's better to have the same 3 number first and the lowest one lower than 10, is that true?
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16760 posts
8093 upvotes
tomguy1160 wrote: I'm not expert with memory timing but looks like it's better to have the same 3 number first and the lowest one lower than 10, is that true?
Memory timings are pretty standard. 1600mhz RAM tends to be CAS 9, 1866mhz and 2133mhz tends to be CAS 10, and 2400mhz tends to be CAS 11. The CAS number is the first number in the set of timings. The other timings don't matter as much and they are generally very similar if not identical, depending on the brand.

There are some exceptions to this. I have seen CAS 11 1600mhz RAM.

Also, you will only see the benefits of faster RAM and tighter timings with specific workloads. Generally the performance difference is very small. I'm an enthusiast and a gamer so I didn't mind paying the $10 extra for 2133mhz RAM instead of 1600mhz, but for a lot of you guys you won't notice any difference in most cases unless you play games on integrated graphics.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
tomguy1160 wrote: I'm not expert with memory timing but looks like it's better to have the same 3 number first and the lowest one lower than 10, is that true?
Nah, first 3 numbers don't have to match. Lower is better though but the CAS(1st number) is the most important for performance. As for the tRAS(4th digit), while this is pretty high, is not such a big deal but you won't see it under 10. Overall this is ok RAM, nothing special and there are probably better RAM deals to be had but fine if you need RAM now.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote: Memory timings are pretty standard. 1600mhz RAM tends to be CAS 9, 1866mhz and 2133mhz tends to be CAS 10, and 2400mhz tends to be CAS 11. The CAS number is the first number in the set of timings. The other timings don't matter as much and they are generally very similar if not identical, depending on the brand.

There are some exceptions to this. I have seen CAS 11 1600mhz RAM.

Also, you will only see the benefits of faster RAM and tighter timings with specific workloads. Generally the performance difference is very small. I'm an enthusiast and a gamer so I didn't mind paying the $10 extra for 2133mhz RAM instead of 1600mhz, but for a lot of you guys you won't notice any difference in most cases unless you play games on integrated graphics.
Ya if you're going to pay an extra $10 for better clock speeds, make sure the CAS isn't mediocre. If you're paying $10 but the alternative is CAS 8, you've gained less than 1% performance and overall, your CAS 10 2133 is probably performing about 2% better than my 1600 running at 9-9-9-24 so I'm not sure you really came out ahead here. Clock speed isn't everything.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4995 posts
2427 upvotes
Markham
some reason I can't get it ship inpost
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16760 posts
8093 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: Ya if you're going to pay an extra $10 for better clock speeds, make sure the CAS isn't mediocre. If you're paying $10 but the alternative is CAS 8, you've gained less than 1% performance and overall, your CAS 10 2133 is probably performing about 2% better than my 1600 running at 9-9-9-24 so I'm not sure you really came out ahead here. Clock speed isn't everything.
Granted these are Corsair's tests, but generally the difference is more than 2% in the applications that benefit:

http://www.corsair.com/en/blog/2014/mar ... lrealworld

Memory speed is more important than CAS latency. Both are important however particularly with Intel setups, higher memory frequency is king. I have heard people say that with AMD CPUs the CAS latency does make a bigger difference.

More benchmarks here:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory ... html#sect0

IMO if you're going to see a 10% boost in performance in the apps you use by spending $10 extra on your RAM, I say do it.

From the Xbit article:
Frequency is more important than timings when it comes to top-end LGA1150 configurations. DDR3 SDRAM kits currently available don't differ much in their timings but vary greatly in terms of their specified clock rate. And indeed, it is the clock rate of DDR3 SDRAM that affects performance the most.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16760 posts
8093 upvotes
evoviii wrote: some reason I can't get it ship inpost
InPost is working here for me.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4995 posts
2427 upvotes
Markham
newegg customer service it's ineligible

i put in cart, start checkout and it asks for shipping address which it shouldn't but I can't move on. Then it only allows me ship or pickup wtf
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16760 posts
8093 upvotes
evoviii wrote: newegg customer service it's ineligible

i put in cart, start checkout and it asks for shipping address which it shouldn't but I can't move on. Then it only allows me ship or pickup wtf
For me I put it in the cart and it lets me choose a locker right away.

Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4995 posts
2427 upvotes
Markham
I got to choose inpost but when I checkout it somehow automatically changes it to shipping to home address
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
4250 posts
460 upvotes
I have this exact ram. Upgraded from 8GB 1600mhz to this 16GB 2133mhz ram and notice no difference at all from the faster memory in applications - browsing, streaming, etc. Maybe for Photoshop and Winrar users as the review above points out but don't expect much from normal day to day use.

Upgraded though because it was cheap enough and not planning to get rid of my current machine for the next few years but for $10 cheaper, I would go with 16GB 1600mhz memory if I could.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16760 posts
8093 upvotes
evoviii wrote: I got to choose inpost but when I checkout it somehow automatically changes it to shipping to home address
Too bad.

Maybe try a free Premiere trial then and then just cancel the Premiere before they charge you for it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote: Granted these are Corsair's tests, but generally the difference is more than 2% in the applications that benefit:

http://www.corsair.com/en/blog/2014/mar ... lrealworld

Memory speed is more important than CAS latency. Both are important however particularly with Intel setups, higher memory frequency is king. I have heard people say that with AMD CPUs the CAS latency does make a bigger difference.

More benchmarks here:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory ... html#sect0

IMO if you're going to see a 10% boost in performance in the apps you use by spending $10 extra on your RAM, I say do it.

From the Xbit article:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memo ... haswell/10

A little more comprehensive but it does show that Cas Latency does matter. What should also be considered is that unless your motherboard actually supports higher clock speeds(which a lot don't), it won't actually perform any better by clocking higher(which is why I stick with 1600, I saved a bunch by getting an H87 vs a Z87 and my system performs more than well enough).
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16760 posts
8093 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memo ... haswell/10

A little more comprehensive but it does show that Cas Latency does matter. What should also be considered is that unless your motherboard actually supports higher clock speeds(which a lot don't), it won't actually perform any better by clocking higher(which is why I stick with 1600, I saved a bunch by getting an H87 vs a Z87 and my system performs more than well enough).
Thanks for that.

Yes, both the CAS latency and the memory frequency matter. And you are correct in pointing out that a lot of motherboards are locked at 1600mhz for the RAM.

When you consider that most computers cost at least $500, spending $10 extra isn't a big deal even if it only gives you a small boost. $10 is 2% of $500, so anything more than a 2% boost in performance is well worth it. A lot of gaming computers cost much more than $500 as well. Plus in a lot of games you will get better minimum FPS and more consistent performance with faster RAM.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote: Thanks for that.

Yes, both the CAS latency and the memory frequency matter. And you are correct in pointing out that a lot of motherboards are locked at 1600mhz for the RAM.

When you consider that most computers cost at least $500, spending $10 extra isn't a big deal even if it only gives you a small boost. $10 is 2% of $500, so anything more than a 2% boost in performance is well worth it. A lot of gaming computers cost much more than $500 as well. Plus in a lot of games you will get better minimum FPS and more consistent performance with faster RAM.
Most Computers in the $500 range are going to be using cheaper motherboards so the clock speed lock is a factor there. Especially when you can get a decent mobo with a locked memory clock for way cheaper than one without the lock(when I got mine it was like $30-40 cheaper).
Jul 23, 2007
173 posts
108 upvotes
vancouver
Seems like a good deal. Looking to get 32gbs worth. Hmmm, decisions....
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
tattashot wrote: Seems like a good deal. Looking to get 32gbs worth. Hmmm, decisions....
Don't see any better deals ATM so if you don't want to be patient, this deal isn't half bad. Why do you need 32GB anyways?
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16760 posts
8093 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: Don't see any better deals ATM so if you don't want to be patient, this deal isn't half bad. Why do you need 32GB anyways?
Be careful with waiting, DDR3 prices are supposed to start going up in June. There is an oversupply in the market right now which has led to a historic low price.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16760 posts
8093 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: Most Computers in the $500 range are going to be using cheaper motherboards so the clock speed lock is a factor there. Especially when you can get a decent mobo with a locked memory clock for way cheaper than one without the lock(when I got mine it was like $30-40 cheaper).
Yes, but can you not tighten the timings if you're stuck at 1600mhz? I would say that this 2133mhz RAM has a better chance of running tighter timings at 1600mhz compared to regular 1600mhz RAM.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)