[Newegg] 6TB HGST $199 FS back again at Newegg.ca

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2018 1:10 pm
[OP]
Jan 12, 2017
240 posts
75 upvotes

[Newegg] 6TB HGST $199 FS back again at Newegg.ca

HGST DeskStar NAS 3.5" 6TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s High-Performance Hard Drive for Desktop NAS Systems Retail Packaging 0S04007

Free shipping for this internal 3yr warranty drive in retail packaging.

Listing comes from E-BLAST INSIDER? The direct link might not be valid.
40 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
2113 posts
2649 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP! Thinking of getting this for a new Synology 418play, but reviews say they're loud, so I'm on the fence...
Nothing to see here folks...
Nov 22, 2012
144 posts
19 upvotes
i received mine they are ok unless you plan to have them beside your monitor...nice drives put them in ds213..tought about buying the ds418play but at the end i asked myself do i really need it for pics and videos right now and it's NO. Im running PLEX server on my Nvidia Shield and it does a fantastic job in my case!! Maybe upgrading next year will see what is comming at CES 2018
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2012
1387 posts
468 upvotes
TBD
i picked up one of these last time they went on sale. It is noticeably louder than my other drivers. But I'm genuinely curious why that'd be a big concern? Do people install them in NAS' that are located in their living room?
[OP]
Jan 12, 2017
240 posts
75 upvotes
Looks like the sale is still with us.

Re: Noise, I presently have 15 drives all varieties spinning under my desk and not one stands out as loudest of the bunch. Until SSD's are in the same league as mass storage, nosie will be a by-product of a solid working drive. I do remember a day when 'buy' for the quiet 'Seagate' was the mantra and loud Maxtors were the reliable solution, when thinking people hated distractions of any magnitude. I've had drives runniing 24/7 for 30 years and have developed a deafness to spinning drives.
Oct 1, 2008
153 posts
25 upvotes
I have four of these in my synology ds918. Never had any other drives, so I can't compare the noise level but I didn't find it too bad. There would be times where it would randomly get louder, but it wasn't to the point that it bothered me. I've moved my network gear and Nas to my basement now anyway, so noise isn't an issue. Beyond that, the drives work well and come at a great price!
Feb 6, 2017
41 posts
38 upvotes
Seems ridiculous that it would be $400 list for 6TB @ 50% off. Why don't they list it for $600 and state it is 75% off.....
Mar 10, 2008
997 posts
84 upvotes
stwan001 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 2:08 pm
Seems ridiculous that it would be $400 list for 6TB @ 50% off. Why don't they list it for $600 and state it is 75% off.....
Because that would be 67% off :)
Feb 6, 2017
41 posts
38 upvotes
dgege wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 2:38 pm
Because that would be 67% off :)
Well that's more reasonable, I will take two then :P
Penalty Box
Apr 20, 2011
1636 posts
165 upvotes
Was thinking about buying this or just buying two of these:
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... gJk_PD_BwE

They are refurbished drives but if they are going into a NAS like the above member is saying he has done with these same brand name drives then why not.
It can can swapped out after failure and still have the data on another drive if in the right configuration.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2017
240 posts
75 upvotes
TheRock2012 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 2:54 pm
Was thinking about buying this or just buying two of these:
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... gJk_PD_BwE

They are refurbished drives but if they are going into a NAS like the above member is saying he has done with these same brand name drives then why not.
It can can swapped out after failure and still have the data on another drive if in the right configuration.
I know these are pulls, and the amount of hours on them would indicate commercial usage and they're approaching the MTBF milage. What's to refurbish?, no one is changing the bearings. Let's call them what they are... very used drives.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16472 posts
2135 upvotes
TheRock2012 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 2:54 pm
Of course it really depends on how much you value your data and the hassle you're willing to endure.

Personally I wouldn't buy a refurb or used hard drive.
Apr 7, 2015
183 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto (GTA)
lurker99 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 11:43 am
Don't know what kind you of drive if you removed from USB case to install in NAS.
I'm pretty sure external disk hard drives are mostly power saving drives and I would definitely not recommend using them for NAS storage.
Feb 15, 2017
138 posts
32 upvotes
shecool wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 1:53 pm
I've moved my network gear and Nas to my basement now anyway, so noise isn't an issue.
Over the years I always put my NASes in the basement but am considering moving some upstairs and to higher grounds because of the greater probability of water damage in the basement in case of flooding.