Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

Actiontec MoCA ECB6200K02 MoCA 2.0 Network Adapter - 2 pack - $237.28 (after Paypal promo, taxes in)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2017 10:12 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5785 posts
810 upvotes
txenglan wrote: Thanks for setting me straight on that. I thought I'd read the K02 models all had the updated firmware. Weird that the kit costs more than two single units unless the kit has other goodies (filters or spare coaxial cable perhaps...?) that the singles don't.

I've never been charged customs or taxes on anything I've purchased from a Canadian retailer unless it is done as part of the checkout transaction itself. I'm used to seeing "ships from USA" on Newegg and other sites by now so I generally ignore it. Anyhow, the transaction is complete and I have been charged the price as per the thread title but I'll of course do an update if anything weird happens.
Correct, Amazon also sometimes does this, basically they will clear the customs, since they have already collected the taxes from you they can clear the package (customs paperwork and whatnot).
Jun 6, 2007
70 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
I actually have about 10+ of DIRECTV Broadband DECA Ethernet to Coax Adapter - Generation II. I got them from the states. I believe these will do the same thing as these MOCA Adapters. Maybe not as fast as gigabit speeds but still really fast.

If anybody is interested in buying them, PM me. I'm thinking about $30 per adapter.
Nov 30, 2002
559 posts
66 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
Siinvestor wrote: Buy the DirecTV moca adapters on amazon.ca. they are $20 for a pair. I wired my entire house in Costa Rica with them as the walls are are concrete and rebar so wireless sucks. They are flawless. Also in Toronto I use them through the my house to hide my directv boxes behind a VPN and to attach my 4K box to the DirecTV server. No bandwidth issues at a 10th of the price....
I have some of those available too. I love them. But ya, only 100mbit/s. Still pretty damn useful.

The difference is, MoCA is designed to coexist with an active Cable TV subscription on the same wire. DECA can not be used on the same wire as Cable TV is using. Still very curious if anybody knows about Rogers policies regarding MoCA :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5744 posts
5510 upvotes
Toronto
I've been running MOCA for a few years flawlessly now with older Actiontec adapters - stable 100Mb/s throughout the house through coax is great.

I've been watching these Gig-E bonded Actiontec adapters for a bit - newegg.ca has had them at this price for a while and on Ebay as well.

B&H will occasionally have them on sale for cheaper if you can wait.

However I agree that if anyone decides to go this route, you get a PoE (Point-of-Entry) filter on your main cable feed into the house:

https://www.amazon.ca/Filter-MoCA-Cable ... B00DC8IEE6

You don't want any media signals spilling out of your home to your neighbours and isolating the signal internally will improve MOCA performance.

Also keep in mind that it may be a while down the road still, but MOCA 2.5 will be offering 2.5Gbps throughput in the future, so the price of MOCA 2.0 adapters should drop eventually if you can wait:

http://www.mocalliance.org/MoCA2.5/index.htm
Apr 2, 2017
339 posts
280 upvotes
For those on a budget : get some of the Verizon (Actiontec) routers - specifically model "mi424wr rev. I" with gigabit ports - use that for Coax-based-ethernet. I've personally used this as an alternative to ethernet cable and experienced good throughput with low latency.

I actually have a few of those lying around - now moved to a house which has ethernet pre-wired but am keeping the routers around just in case.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5744 posts
5510 upvotes
Toronto
piperdaddy wrote: For those on a budget : get some of the Verizon (Actiontec) routers - specifically model "mi424wr rev. I" with gigabit ports - use that for Coax-based-ethernet. I've personally used this as an alternative to ethernet cable and experienced good throughput with low latency.

I actually have a few of those lying around - now moved to a house which has ethernet pre-wired but am keeping the routers around just in case.
What speeds are you getting with the MI424WR Rev I? Will take a look.

I used to use those old Verizon routers (Rev A, C) but found they overheated a lot and the power supplies were garbage. Small NAT tables as well.

Also, for those investing, get diplexers instead of splitters for the coax. Less signal loss.

Edit: The MI424WR is MOCA 1.1 (up to 175Mbps) so not obviously not comparable to the bonded pair of 6200's.
Apr 2, 2017
339 posts
280 upvotes
chadw01 wrote: What speeds are you getting with the MI424WR Rev I? Will take a look.

Edit: The MI424WR is MOCA 1.1 (up to 175Mbps) so not obviously not comparable to the bonded pair of 6200's.
My requirement was to have wired access for gaming, and at the time I had a 50Mbps connection - so it sufficed.

One should not run the entire home's ethernet at one end of this router - the NAT table is small. but if require a connection in a particular location where you have coax already, this could be a good fit.
As for price, these are available on ebay for less than $100 for a pair, so you get what you pay for.
Jun 21, 2009
251 posts
41 upvotes
Telus guy already installed one MOCA for me to lead the internet to a backroom, but cited anything more will cost me.
I still have a wifi deadspot on the second floor so is thinking either google wifi or velops.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5348 posts
4356 upvotes
I have the old T2200h modem so I assume that the coax at the back is not MoCA compatible. I am using my own router in bridge mode to the T2200h so would I connect it like this:

router--ethernet--moca1--coax--wall--wall--coax--moca2?
Aug 11, 2017
9 posts
23 upvotes
For the western folks here, these will not work if you have Shaw Gateway or Blue Sky TV equipment packages. They already use MoCA within their system and the two don't get along.

I tried changing the MoCA channels and private mode, nothing works.

But since I'm ditching their TV soon, I'm keeping my set (it fell to $135US a few weeks ago from amazon.com) and will use it then.

ers
Mar 5, 2006
786 posts
195 upvotes
Springfield
WL1980 wrote: I have the old T2200h modem so I assume that the coax at the back is not MoCA compatible. I am using my own router in bridge mode to the T2200h so would I connect it like this:

router--ethernet--moca1--coax--wall--wall--coax--moca2?
Correct the T2200H is HPNA and is not MOCA compatible.

You would need to use something like this:
TRENDnet HPNA coaxial adapter

But note HPNA's theoretical max bandwidth is ~300Mbps. Real world, probably be lucky to get 100Mbps.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5348 posts
4356 upvotes
Homer Jay Simpson wrote: Correct the T2200H is HPNA and is not MOCA compatible.

You would need to use something like this:
TRENDnet HPNA coaxial adapter

But note HPNA's theoretical max bandwidth is ~300Mbps. Real world, probably be lucky to get 100Mbps.
Thanks, but if I buy the kit I don't need the adapter right? I can connect the first one to the modem/router with ethernet cable and coax to the wall to link to the 2nd one in another room?
Mar 5, 2006
786 posts
195 upvotes
Springfield
WL1980 wrote: Thanks, but if I buy the kit I don't need the adapter right? I can connect the first one to the modem/router with ethernet cable and coax to the wall to link to the 2nd one in another room?
Oops, sorry I just re-read your original post. Yes, with the kit (2 pack), you can do what you're looking to do. It will just appear like another network cable to your router.