Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

ADATA XPG SX930-240GB SSD ($90)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2016 12:15 pm
Tags:
7 replies
Mar 7, 2007
83 posts
7 upvotes
Hardware gurus, is this a good deal?

I'm looking to upgrade the (10 year old) laptop's HDD. Board supports SATA 3.5Gb/s. Compatibility shouldn't be an issue.

However, is it worth getting a SATA 6Gb/s device (such as this deal), knowing that it will be limited to my laptop's 3.5Gb/s, hence not functioning faster than a (cheaper?) SATA 3.5Gb/s device?

Thoughts?
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2472 posts
1906 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
I've seen much cheaper drives, here's a Patriot Blast 240gb for $70: http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=13411112711

The Blast is considered a budget drive whereas this Adata is marketed as a "gaming drive", whatever that means. My guess is the difference will not be noticeable to the vast majority of users.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9640 posts
3934 upvotes
Toronto
raz123 wrote: Hardware gurus, is this a good deal?

I'm looking to upgrade the (10 year old) laptop's HDD. Board supports SATA 3.5Gb/s. Compatibility shouldn't be an issue.

However, is it worth getting a SATA 6Gb/s device (such as this deal), knowing that it will be limited to my laptop's 3.5Gb/s, hence not functioning faster than a (cheaper?) SATA 3.5Gb/s device?

Thoughts?
Getting an SSD for an old laptop is a very good idea. It will dramatically improve start up and shutdown times as well as general operation. Plus if you decide to upgrade your laptop later you can migrate that SSD.

As a deal this one is OK.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2472 posts
1906 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
raz123 wrote: However, is it worth getting a SATA 6Gb/s device (such as this deal), knowing that it will be limited to my laptop's 3.5Gb/s, hence not functioning faster than a (cheaper?) SATA 3.5Gb/s device?

Thoughts?
I'm pretty sure you can't even find any deals on sata2 ssd's any more so may as well get Sata3 6Gb/s.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35601 posts
18981 upvotes
raz123 wrote: Hardware gurus, is this a good deal?

You mean 3Gbps, there's no "3.5" standard.

Anyway yeah the XPG SX930 is a decent drive--JMicron controller, quasi-enterprise NAND, five year warranty. Not the greatest performing drive out there but it's pretty good and certainly not the worst either.
slay3r85 wrote: However, is it worth getting a SATA 6Gb/s device (such as this deal), knowing that it will be limited to my laptop's 3.5Gb/s, hence not functioning faster than a (cheaper?) SATA 3.5Gb/s device?

Thoughts?
Yes still worth it because all the 4k/QD transfers will usually be below 6Gbps even on modern drives; but, they'll still be far greater than any HDD. Meaning yes you still get a good lot of benefit even on a SATA 3Gbps connection.
BeapChastard wrote: I've seen much cheaper drives, here's a Patriot Blast 240gb for $70: http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=13411112711

The Blast is considered a budget drive whereas this Adata is marketed as a "gaming drive", whatever that means. My guess is the difference will not be noticeable to the vast majority of users.
Uh well the difference is the Blast has a really high failure rate and is basically the junkiest of the junky, in drives right now. It's TLC (which everyone on RFD thinks should be avoided like the plague) but more importantly just read the reviews. These Blast drives fail left, right, and centre--the price seems good but when it's 3-6 months and the whole thing fails and you have to RMA (some people have RMA'd this junk like 2-3 times too), then it's not so good.

If there's a list of drives to stay away from these days, the Blast is at the top of the list. Other drives which may be fine reliability-wise but just aren't good drives in terms of performance are Crucial BX200, OCZ Trion (and Trion 150), as well as Intel 540.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29462 posts
20372 upvotes
For those out west, NCIX Lansdowne location is having a sale on the 480 gig edition of the adata 930 for $110, in store only. I just received the newsletter this morning. Got really excited for a moment until I looked closer at the details.

http://www.ncix.com/promo/weeklyinstore.htm