Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] Newegg • Tenda P200 Powerline Mini Adapter Kit • $33/pair including shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2013 12:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8171 posts
1929 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

[Newegg] Newegg • Tenda P200 Powerline Mini Adapter Kit • $33/pair including shipping

Need to network two Ethernet devices but don't want tocan't run cable or don't want to mess with WiFi? Here's an inexpensive plug-and-play solution: Newegg.ca - Tenda P200 Powerline Mini Adapter Kit Up to 200Mbps • $33 for 2 adapters including shipping. That's an amazing price for a pair of Powerline adapters. Usually they sell for about twice that much.

I ordered a pair of these a few days ago. They just arrived and I'm impressed with how easy they are to set up. Basically plug each unit into an AC outlet, connect it to the device using Ethernet cable (supplied), wait for the pretty lights to come on, and start sharing data. If you want to get fancy there's a Windows app that lets you encrypt data, set QoS (prioritize traffic), etc. But it's really not required because your traffic stays within the AC cabling in your house. You can add more Powerline adapters, either more of these or any HomePlug AV standards compliant adapter. Speeds are comparable to or faster than WiFi.
veni, vidi, Visa
94 replies
Nov 19, 2009
427 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
I bought these back at the end of November for $18.99for the pair. I find that they work great and have a smaller footprint than some of the other powerline adapters I've used. Very easy to use.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
1631 posts
396 upvotes
Burnaby
free shipping

ordered for me and a buddy. Thanks and thanked, OP
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8171 posts
1929 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Malta wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 9:29 pm
I bought these back at the end of November for $18.99for the pair.
Including free shipping?

In any case that was then, this is now. All the other adapters I saw when I researched this were $60 or more per pair, never mind shipping.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4386 posts
857 upvotes
London
I've seen a Trendnet one for $30 w/ free shipping. This is decent as well though, although I'm unsure about the brand.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
6015 posts
658 upvotes
Ajax
I have similar ones from Trendnet. Found the Internet kept going down as soon as I installed them - where I had to reboot the Rogers Modem/Wireless Router. Is there any fine tuning that needs to be done to the app that comes with these things.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4386 posts
857 upvotes
London
bobcat99 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 10:47 pm
I have similar ones from Trendnet. Found the Internet kept going down as soon as I installed them - where I had to reboot the Rogers Modem/Wireless Router. Is there any fine tuning that needs to be done to the app that comes with these things.

Thanks
No idea about fine tuning...but Powerline devices are supposed to be transparent to the router, so they shouldn't affect the rest of your network...however if you're just saying the Powerline wouldn't work then that's quite possible...depending on the wiring in each house these devices may or may not work.

As for this Tenda brand...can't find a single review for this product...add to that it's a Chinese company (no offence meant)...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8171 posts
1929 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Scycotic wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 10:44 pm
I've seen a Trendnet one for $30 w/ free shipping. This is decent as well though, although I'm unsure about the brand.
For one or two adapters? I almost bought another make that was on sale for $39 until I realized it was for one adapter, not a pair.
Scycotic wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 11:02 pm
As for this Tenda brand...can't find a single review for this product...add to that it's a Chinese company (no offence meant)...
Well mine works just fine. Also they're sold by FS/BB and Amazon et al (for $60/pair!) FS/BB also sell many other Tenda products. FWIW the units I got seem very well made. They certainly don't look like low-end junk. And of course, they were dead easy to install and work very well. I've just ordered another pair to replace a couple of WiFi connections.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4386 posts
857 upvotes
London
bylo wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 11:25 pm
For one or two adapters? I almost bought another make that was on sale for $39 until I realized it was for one adapter, not a pair.

Well mine works just fine. Also they're sold by FS/BB and Amazon et al (for $60/pair!) FS/BB also sell many other Tenda products. FWIW the units I got seem very well made. They certainly don't look like low-end junk. And of course, they were dead easy to install and work very well. I've just ordered another pair to replace a couple of WiFi connections.
It was a pair. These devices almost always come in pairs. Kind of useless otherwise...And I'm glad it works for you.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2637 upvotes
Vancouver
Most of the work is done by a custom powerline ethernet chip, and all the adapters of whatever brand use the same chip for the same speed rating. There's probably not much to choose between them.

This looks like a pretty hot deal to me. I paid $35 for my Trendnet 200 mbps pair (the lowest I've ever seen for a pair), and these should be equivalent. Anyone who has a TV media player running off wireless now would probably find a great improvement in stability using these, although of course you won't get anything near 200 mbps actual throughput (more like 100 nominal reported speed, 50 actual throughput if you're lucky). Still plenty for high-speed internet and HD streaming.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8171 posts
1929 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
JamesA1 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 11:58 pm
Anyone who has a TV media player running off wireless now would probably find a great improvement in stability using these
Yup. I got these specifically to replace WiFi between a Pivos XIOS and my home LAN. Even though the WiFi signal was very strong the connection was wonky unstable. Now with the Tendas it's been rock solid.
although of course you won't get anything near 200 mbps actual throughput (more like 100 nominal reported speed, 50 actual throughput if you're lucky). Still plenty for high-speed internet and HD streaming.
Yup and yup again.
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 25, 2009
395 posts
69 upvotes
Be careful with the brand name, their qualities are not equal. I have bought 1 pair Actionec (500Mbs) from TigerDirect for 50$, it works without problem in my house. Lately I have bought another pair of Trendnet (also 500Mbs) for 30$ (Dell on sale Black Friday), when I test it with my Internet connection, the Trendnet is much better. On the same computer that connects through Powerline adaptors, with Actionnec my Internet speed shows only 10Mbs/4Mbs (I have Fibe 25/10 with Bell), but with Trendnet pair I get 25/9 Mbs. At the same speed devices, they can work together (can not mix 85Mbs with 200/500 Mbs). I will wait until Dell resales the Trendnet at 30$ again to purchase another pair, it's really amazing.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2003
1073 posts
135 upvotes
Kanata
Malta wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 9:29 pm
I bought these back at the end of November for $18.99for the pair. I find that they work great and have a smaller footprint than some of the other powerline adapters I've used. Very easy to use.
Same here, I would probably NOT pay 33$ though. 20 was a reasonable price for what they do. I find they are constantly buzzing (very annoying) and in the same room I only got 15Mbps (one stream). Works fine for me for what I need, but I would buy a second pair only if they drop again to 20$ (wishful thinking :) ).
No point dicking around with the config tool and it's actually misleading that the latest f/w on their website seems to indicate there is a new version - it's the same that ships with the devices.
To be or not to be...where is the question?
× < >