Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] Newegg • Tenda P200 Powerline Mini Adapter Kit • $33/pair including shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2013 12:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8177 posts
1931 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
toxikwaste wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 10:31 am
How are the speeds?
I'm getting 50 to 80 Mb/s as reported by the config utility that ships with the Tenda kit. Subjectively my media player responds faster on the Tendas than it did on a strong 802.11n WiFi signal. For sure the connection is much more stable with Powerline.
ThomasTran wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 11:34 am
At the same speed devices, they can work together (can not mix 85Mbs with 200/500 Mbs).
The 85Mb/s units are obsolete technology. They aren't compatible with newer Powerline generations like the Tenda's HomePlug AV (200+Mb/s.) From Wikipedia, "HomePlug AV, GP and AV2 are fully interoperable, and will also interoperate with the IEEE 1901 devices. HomePlug 1.0 devices do not interoperate with HomePlug AV devices."
veni, vidi, Visa
Mar 29, 2009
793 posts
126 upvotes
Wow the timing of this post is amazing, I wanted to see if I can use this to install FibeTV in a location where it is not possible for me to run wires. 30 bucks makes it worth the risk

May 20, 2003
307 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
bought 1 too, thanks. Worth a try, not that happy with the wireless router I have right now.
Nov 19, 2009
427 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 5:42 pm
Including free shipping?

In any case that was then, this is now. All the other adapters I saw when I researched this were $60 or more per pair, never mind shipping.
Yeah, that was with free shipping, but agreed, even at the current price it's a good deal.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
1014 posts
255 upvotes
Ottawa
Can anyone comment on the speed/stability of these versus one of the next gen 500 mbps set-ups? Like other posters, I'm finding that wi-fi just isn't cutting it to push media (streamed from internet and off a networked HDD) to my TV, and have been considering trying one of the powerline products. Is the Actiontec PWR511K01 500 mbps for $49 worth an extra $20 (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... &CatId=211)?
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
1632 posts
396 upvotes
Burnaby
if you';re getting crappy performance, try a different outlet. id think household wiring quality/age makes a difference.
Feb 25, 2009
395 posts
69 upvotes
CanuckGreg wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 1:13 pm
Can anyone comment on the speed/stability of these versus one of the next gen 500 mbps set-ups? Like other posters, I'm finding that wi-fi just isn't cutting it to push media (streamed from internet and off a networked HDD) to my TV, and have been considering trying one of the powerline products. Is the Actiontec PWR511K01 500 mbps for $49 worth an extra $20 (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... &CatId=211)?
Powerline adaptors are more stable than WIFI, I have used it since almost 10 years with Belkin 85Mbs model. I have just replaced it with 500Mbs model. I don't recommend the Actionec 500 Mbs, it's much slower than the Trendnet (I have bought 2 brands of 500 Mbs). The speed you can get depends on the wiring of your house it may be very bad, you have to try on place to see if it's usable for you. Sometime just changing the wall outlet the speed change completly.

Don't buy the Actionec, just wait a little bit, I have seen many times Dell has the Trendnet 500Mbs pair onsale for about 45$. The last time was 30$ that was the lowest price I have seen that why I couldn't resist to buy it althrough I did not really need it :-)
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
11697 posts
1475 upvotes
Toronto
ThomasTran wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 1:37 pm
Powerline adaptors are more stable than WIFI
Not necessarily. It really depends. Powerline adapters CAN be more stable than WiFi, but often aren't, because as you said it depends on the wiring topology and wiring quality in your house, and the WiFi placement for the router and client. In my case in one spot WiFi was better, and in another spot powerline was better.

In the end though I just installed wired Ethernet. If you don't want to fish cables through the walls, depending on your setup you can sometimes either run it along the wall in conduit or else you can run it along the outer wall of the house. For the latter you need to buy outdoor-rated Ethernet cable though.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4386 posts
857 upvotes
London
EugW wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 1:47 pm
Not necessarily. It really depends. Powerline adapters CAN be more stable than WiFi, but often aren't, because as you said it depends on the wiring topology and wiring quality in your house, and the WiFi placement for the router and client. In my case in one spot WiFi was better, and in another spot powerline was better.

In the end though I just installed wired Ethernet. If you don't want to fish cables through the walls, depending on your setup you can sometimes either run it along the wall in conduit or else you can run it along the outer wall of the house. For the latter you need to buy outdoor-rated Ethernet cable though.
Or just use regular Ethernet cable and replace it every few years lol
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2638 upvotes
Vancouver
The thing about powerline ethernet speeds is that the maximum speed goes up with each generation, but the range through your household wiring at those maximum speeds goes down. So while doubling the maximum speed may work when they are plugged into the same socket next to each other, you may get only 30% more speed at your actual remote outlet.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
1014 posts
255 upvotes
Ottawa
ThomasTran wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 1:37 pm
Powerline adaptors are more stable than WIFI, I have used it since almost 10 years with Belkin 85Mbs model. I have just replaced it with 500Mbs model. I don't recommend the Actionec 500 Mbs, it's much slower than the Trendnet (I have bought 2 brands of 500 Mbs). The speed you can get depends on the wiring of your house it may be very bad, you have to try on place to see if it's usable for you. Sometime just changing the wall outlet the speed change completly.

Don't buy the Actionec, just wait a little bit, I have seen many times Dell has the Trendnet 500Mbs pair onsale for about 45$. The last time was 30$ that was the lowest price I have seen that why I couldn't resist to buy it althrough I did not really need it :-)
Thanks for the advice - much appreciated.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
8304 posts
977 upvotes
Montreal
Awesome deal, ordered! Needed this for my old Xbox 360 that only has a wired connection.

This Tenda P200 claims to support the IEEE 802.3 standard so it SHOULD work with my Netgear AV500 powerline kit. So I only have to use ONE of the Tenda P200 units and join it to my existing Powerline network using the Windows software. You just need one on the powerline attached to the router, then all the "other ones" connect to the one attached to the router (bridge).
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2005
13979 posts
933 upvotes
Thornhill
I was looking into these to improve the signal between my computers upstairs and the router in the basement but someone on RFD had wrote that some of these adapters get pretty hot when running. How are these units?

TIA...
bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
Conquistador wrote:
Jul 1st, 2016 1:07 pm
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you. :facepalm:
RFD discounts for Schluter products/
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8177 posts
1931 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
t3359 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 6:41 pm
How are these units?
Warm. A bit warmer than body temperature but not hot at all.
veni, vidi, Visa
Nov 27, 2004
871 posts
31 upvotes
If I already have an older set of adapters how willi know if these trenda ones will work with them?
× < >