Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] Newegg • Tenda P200 Powerline Mini Adapter Kit • $33/pair including shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2013 12:49 am
Tags:
None
Jun 10, 2008
162 posts
20 upvotes
Anybody who has received them know if these are rated at 110v only or for both 110/220v? Need a pair for my vacay home which is 220v. When it comes to ratings the product page js different than the actual sticker onthe item when you receive it ive seem.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
1014 posts
255 upvotes
Ottawa
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 10:42 pm
Wireless AC > Powerline.
My understanding is that client devices that will support 802.11ac are few and far between.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2636 upvotes
Vancouver
Both my Trendnet and Belkin powerline ethernet adapters are 110-240v, so probably they are all dual voltage. Makes sense, there's no reason why they wouldn't be. But considering that household power wiring standards can be different in different countries, you might need to experiment to know if they will work in another country that uses 220v. In Canada 220v is provided at some outlets by using the difference between two phases. I'm not sure how that affects transmission of the signal. In other countries where the base utility power is 220v there might only be one phase, which would be fine for powerline ethernet transmission.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
8296 posts
974 upvotes
Montreal
k__dam wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 10:29 pm
If I already have an older set of adapters how willi know if these trenda ones will work with them?
Look for the standard on your "old ones". The Trenda ones are IEEE 802.3 so your old ones must be this standard as well.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8051 posts
1890 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
k__dam wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 10:29 pm
If I already have an older set of adapters how willi know if these trenda ones will work with them?
Read upthread to this post.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8051 posts
1890 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mirzank wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 5:13 am
Anybody who has received them know if these are rated at 110v only or for both 110/220v?
100V-240V, 50/60Hz
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2006
1045 posts
30 upvotes
Thornhill
If you plug this into one of the wall outlets, will there be space to plug anything else into the other outlet?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8051 posts
1890 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Yes. In fact the plugs on the Tenda aren't even polarized so you can plug the unit upside down and it will still work fine.

I have a power bar plugged into the bottom socket of a duplex outlet. It has to be that way because the molded AC power cord comes out from the bottom of the plug. If I plugged it into the top socket in the AC duplex the power bar's plug would block the bottom socket. I had no choice but to plug the power bar in the bottom socket and the Tenda upside down in the top socket. As a bonus that way the Ethernet jack is now at the top of the Tenda unit so it's more convenient too.
veni, vidi, Visa
Mar 29, 2009
790 posts
125 upvotes
phew, I thought about that after I ordered them..the plug I will be using is nowhere near another one
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2005
2202 posts
35 upvotes
I've been using the DLINK PowerLine AV's for a while due to poor wifi connectivity in my house. I was an instant fan of the simple setup of these devices. Speeds are much faster than my 2-3 bar wifi connection.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2636 upvotes
Vancouver
It's ok to use extension cords or multi-plug adapters. They should cause only a slight reduction in signal quality. But beware of power bars that have either protection filters or a power light (especially a neon power light). Those will degrade your powerline ethernet signal. In general having anything else plugged into the same wall outlet may degrade the signal - the only way to tell how much is to experiment. Some things are worse than others.

The problem is that powerline ethernet uses a high-frequency low-power signal on the powerline. Any kind of bridge across the hot and neutral leads that leaks current at high frequency will impact powerline ethernet, even though the effect is too small to notice on normal low-frequency 60 Hz AC power. Any device with a high-pass filter across the power leads will not pass 60 Hz current, but will leak like a sieve at powerline ethernet frequencies. A neon lamp is directly connected across the power leads -it won't pass enough current to leak a significant amount of power, but quite enough to sabotage powerline ethernet signalling.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8051 posts
1890 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
JamesA1 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 12:21 pm
But beware of power bars that have either protection filters or a power light (especially a neon power light). Those will degrade your powerline ethernet signal.
Also UPS.

That's one downside to Powerline. If you have DSL Internet and have your modem, PC etc. on UPS so you can access the Internet during a power outage then Powerline is not a viable solution. You can't plug those devices into a UPS. When power goes out the Powerline units will lose power and your Internet with it.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
8296 posts
974 upvotes
Montreal
bylo wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 12:27 pm
Also UPS.

That's one downside to Powerline. If you have DSL Internet and have your modem, PC etc. on UPS so you can access the Internet during a power outage then Powerline is not a viable solution. You can't plug those devices into a UPS. When power goes out the Powerline units will lose power and your Internet with it.
I own a desktop, can't exactly surf while the power is out :) Maybe for 5 minutes while the UPS is on LOL.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8051 posts
1890 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
yuprules wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 12:29 pm
I own a desktop, can't exactly surf while the power is out :)
Too bad.

I have a notebook on UPS along with a DSL modem. When power goes out I can surf for hours. (POTS and DSL are battery-backed by the carrier.)

In fact back when we had a two-day long outage (in 2003?) I was surfing by candlelight long into the night. There was something really quaint about that combination of technologies.
veni, vidi, Visa
× < >