Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

D-Link AC Dual Band USB Adapter (Refurb) $10 + $6 shipping

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2016 1:06 am
Tags:
8 replies
Jul 12, 2005
548 posts
314 upvotes
Can someone pls advise whether or not will this increase the download speeds on a laptop that has a 2.5 ghz card...I am currently getting 32 MBPS
Jul 19, 2009
94 posts
16 upvotes
ekguru wrote: Can someone pls advise whether or not will this increase the download speeds on a laptop that has a 2.5 ghz card...I am currently getting 32 MBPS
Potentially, it may be faster if your router supports the 5ghz band. However, 5ghz radio signals inherently have less penetrating power/distance so you may end up with slower speeds depending on how far you are from the router and what kinds of things are between you and the router.
Jan 29, 2005
799 posts
190 upvotes
Winnipeg
ekguru wrote: Can someone pls advise whether or not will this increase the download speeds on a laptop that has a 2.5 ghz card...I am currently getting 32 MBPS
"theoretically" this can get "up to" 150 Mbps on wireless N (2.4ghz) or 433 Mbps on wireless AC (5ghz) in ideal conditions (no other network traffic in the same frequency and really close to the router).
NOTE: You will also need a compatible router to get anywhere near the rated speeds.

If your laptop is less than 5 years old, you probably have wireless N. You say that you are currently getting 32 MBPS or Mbps? 32 MBps is PDQ, 32 Mbps is kinda slow and may suggest older tech like wireless "G" or great distance or interference between the laptop and router.

Check in "Device Manager" in Windows Control Panel to see if it says what kind of wireless card that you have.
A wireless N card in a laptop should be capable of at least 300Mbps due to the dual antennas in the laptop (if you're lucky you may see half that)
Wireless G will top out at 54Mbps (and again in the real world you can only expect half of that).

Final note: the system is only as fast as the slowest component. ie: purchasing a fast Wireless Adapter but pairing it with a slow out of date Wireless router won't net you any speed increase at all
Nov 2, 2007
359 posts
61 upvotes
I bought this over a year ago and it had pretty ugly driver/software issues with Windows 8.1 for me. Even without using the bundled wireless manager (recommended) it was slower than I expected when connecting to my Nighthawk router (wireless AC). I ended up returning it and went with the DWA-182.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
3782 posts
2775 upvotes
Airdrie
What are the odds of this working on an Android TV box?

I just upgraded my router to AC but don't have any AC devices yet. Very few even have 5GHz capability.

Shipping drops with multiples. I show (to Alberta) $8.14 for 2 and $8.40 for 3, so $13.43 each, all in, if I buy 3. Thinking of upgrading all the laptops even if it won't work on the TV boxes.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)