None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7731 posts
1354 upvotes
undeadfred wrote:
Oct 6th, 2008 8:40 pm
(-) Shipping/Tax Costs
It seems to me that 98% of the problem is here. They're charging tax in every province, and the shipping charges are pretty high. I have to re-ship Newegg.com products anyway, so it's not a huge price difference for me, but I do hope they provide some new options soon for everyone in Canada, and I hope people here are willing to give them a second chance if they do.

its required they charge tax to everyone. If they didn't do it that way, not only would the tax be assessed on delivery but the brokerage fee to collect it would too. Its cheaper for the few like newegg that do it that way.

"I am quite sure the reason that the prices are rising is our crap cdn dollar. I think the canadian site is directly tied to the us one and there is direct conversion of prices based on our dollar.'

Yes, prices are rising at the same rate the effective CDN$ price would rise by purchasing at a USA retailer quoting in $US. The fall in the CDN$ over the past week has been unprecedented in history. There are a lof of unprecedented things happening in financial markets these days.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
11442 posts
14709 upvotes
dpolites wrote:
Oct 11th, 2008 11:48 pm
I am quite sure the reason that the prices are rising is our crap cdn dollar. I think the canadian site is directly tied to the us one and there is direct conversion of prices based on our dollar.

There was something I was looking at a few days ago that rose basically as much as our dollar lost in value on friday.

So looks like canadians won't get much use out of newegg.ca until our dollar goes back up. By that time, they might already close their doors to canada.

Oh well...
Yes, it is possible they will pull out of Canada like DeepDiscountDVD, which had a Canadian division. DeepDiscount Canada did not charge the Customs fee but since they closed, the American division do now.
Have a nice day!

Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18813 posts
381 upvotes
YYZ
LonesomeDove wrote:
Oct 12th, 2008 12:31 am
Yes, it is possible they will pull out of Canada like DeepDiscountDVD, which had a Canadian division. DeepDiscount Canada did not charge the Customs fee but since they closed, the American division do now.
With the way the dollar has been dropping, I won't be surprised if they stop selling to Canada.
May 2, 2003
551 posts
4 upvotes
How would the dollar affect newegg's bottom line any differently than NCIX?

NCIX will adjust eventually once the new inventory purchased with crappy loonies gets in the warehouse.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2005
5564 posts
73 upvotes
Hm, did anyone remember when Newegg first announced they were coming and how there were sweepstakes to be won if you join the mailing list.... anyways, i FINALLY WON something!! A very nice gentleman Jeff called me to inform me I won the $50 dollar gift card :D + the $20 off, I am buying something nice for myself...
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11171 posts
4288 upvotes
Brossard, Quebec
ben_liu wrote:
Oct 15th, 2008 1:34 pm
Hm, did anyone remember when Newegg first announced they were coming and how there were sweepstakes to be won if you join the mailing list.... anyways, i FINALLY WON something!! A very nice gentleman Jeff called me to inform me I won the $50 dollar gift card :D + the $20 off, I am buying something nice for myself...
Cool, I was wondering when they would be choosing winners for that contest.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1327 posts
119 upvotes
ben_liu wrote:
Oct 15th, 2008 1:34 pm
The $50 off will almost cover the shipping that newegg charges! lol
Xbox Live Gamertag: iEATkittens
Heatware: [url=http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=19658]26-0-0
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
3334 posts
533 upvotes
GTA
I won too but wasn't able to receive the call. :| Gonna have to reschedule the call hahaha. Finally, my first contest win...and it had to be from NE. :cry:
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
3806 posts
23 upvotes
This is completely new on RFD. Newegg is advertising on RFD but requested its thread to be LOCKED so we can't post opinions & feedback, or share deals.

We give Dell, IBM, SDM, Staples, Tigerdirect, NCIX, Canadacomputers, TSCC, and absolute every retailers their just desserts because it improves business/feedback for retailers & consumers alike...but I guess Newegg can't endure our suggestions on improving their business. It's funny how Tigerdirect gets the brunt of our dissatisfaction but they're still "Professional" enough to allow criticism.

Here's Newegg's Promo Thread and it's LOCKED: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=660236