Hot Deals

[Newegg] Corsair 128GB Voyager GTX USB 3.0 Flash Drive, Speed Up to 450MB/s ($79.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2017 11:18 am
[OP]
Mar 11, 2012
107 posts
13 upvotes
North York

[Newegg] Corsair 128GB Voyager GTX USB 3.0 Flash Drive, Speed Up to 450MB/s ($79.99)

Regular price is $139.99 (down to $79.99). Great price for a USB 3.0 flash drive with up to 450 MB/s read and 360 MB/s write. Good reviews too.
13 replies
Jan 29, 2016
359 posts
501 upvotes
New Caledonia
Another one of these? They make no sense. Spend less than half as much for the same capacity or just buy an SSD for twice the speed of these things.

This is a silly half measure with little practical application.
HOT DEAL ALERT: 661,000 stolen emails, usernames and unencrypted passwords from a Canadian deals website, compromised due to administrator incompetence and general apathy towards users! Order now!
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
1882 posts
434 upvotes
Mississauga
price seems a bit high? I rmbr I got the PNY one for much less. I would say wait, unless you need it. The prices of the 128gb should be sub $50. I might be wrong though.
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2003
9869 posts
1228 upvotes
Ottawa
EverybodyKnows wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 2:23 am
Another one of these? They make no sense. Spend less than half as much for the same capacity or just buy an SSD for twice the speed of these things.

This is a silly half measure with little practical application.
This thing IS a SSD. It has TRIM and SMART

Which other external USB SSD drive has twice the speed of this? They all top out around 450MB read speed

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductLi ... sdeptsrh=1

edit:
Seems like Amazon.ca also has the same price now.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00S89 ... EEQB&psc=1
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3585 posts
119 upvotes
Montreal
For those who might be interested, there's Windows 10 to Go that is a good match for something like this. Basically, you can create a bootable Windows 10 OS which works like a normal installation (it's not a light version of windows like WinPE - for that you can check out Gandalf's images)

It's useful for troubleshooting and testing. I use to test my overclocks without corrupting my main OS, and testing questionable software without infecting my main os.

Note that some older computers cannot boot off USB3 ports; however a fast USB3 drive will still have the all important good IOPS running in USB2 mode.

This might be overkill for some people though; I was able to get competent Windows 10 to Go performance with just an ordinary microSD reader and a Sandisk UHS-1 Card.

EDIT: Looks like the sandisk is on sale for 89.99 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00HR7 ... em_1p_0_ti . The Corsair looks faster though. http://usb.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Sa ... 03vsm13691
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
Oct 12, 2011
337 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
cloneman wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 7:40 am
For those who might be interested, there's Windows 10 to Go that is a good match for something like this. Basically, you can create a bootable Windows 10 OS which works like a normal installation (it's not a light version of windows like WinPE - for that you can check out Gandalf's images)

It's useful for troubleshooting and testing. I use to test my overclocks without corrupting my main OS, and testing questionable software without infecting my main os.

Note that some older computers cannot boot off USB3 ports; however a fast USB3 drive will still have the all important good IOPS running in USB2 mode.

This might be overkill for some people though; I was able to get competent Windows 10 to Go performance with just an ordinary microSD reader and a Sandisk UHS-1 Card.

EDIT: Looks like the sandisk is on sale for 89.99 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00HR7 ... em_1p_0_ti . The Corsair looks faster though. http://usb.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Sa ... 03vsm13691
Have you tried running OS off of it? How hot does the usb key get? And how much amp does it draws? because you wouldn't want to burn the USB port.
Banned
Jan 8, 2017
116 posts
14 upvotes
The new version is definitely a nice streamlined product cased in zinc alloy. It feels heavy, but in a nice way that makes you feel as though you have a high quality, sturdy product.
[OP]
Mar 11, 2012
107 posts
13 upvotes
North York
Mine came in yesterday and I had a chance to play around with it today. Read speeds are fine but I noticed that the write speeds are significantly affected by high temperature. I'm transferring a 60 GB file right now and the write speed dropped down to 30 MB/s. That's abysmal. Oddly enough, the read speeds aren't affected. I didn't take too much of a loss for $80 given the insane read speeds. But I'm very disappointed in the write performance. It seems to overheat very quickly.

Verdict: avoid this unless you can get it for $30 or less.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11199 posts
2249 upvotes
Montreal
kloan wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 8:21 pm
I see a lot of people mention it overheats and slows the data transfer to 20MB/sec, which is pretty useless. I have a hundred gigs I need to transfer.. it'd be painfully slow to transfer.
that's what happens with all junk TLC, it just dies when asked to write any remotely-large file.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11199 posts
2249 upvotes
Montreal
Anaron wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 11:37 am
Mine came in yesterday and I had a chance to play around with it today. Read speeds are fine but I noticed that the write speeds are significantly affected by high temperature. I'm transferring a 60 GB file right now and the write speed dropped down to 30 MB/s. That's abysmal. Oddly enough, the read speeds aren't affected.
again, that is a function of ALL junk TLC - it has absolutely nothing to do with heat, it's a physical limitation of the technology. once you exceed the tiny write cache, you write directly to dirt-slow TLC, which is much slower than a standard HD (i.e. 20-40 MB/s).

read operations don't slow down because TLC is almost as fast as MLC when reading, but exponentially slower when writing.
[OP]
Mar 11, 2012
107 posts
13 upvotes
North York
JackWhyte wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 11:44 am
again, that is a function of ALL junk TLC - it has absolutely nothing to do with heat, it's a physical limitation of the technology. once you exceed the tiny write cache, you write directly to dirt-slow TLC, which is much slower than a standard HD (i.e. 20-40 MB/s).

read operations don't slow down because TLC is almost as fast as MLC when reading, but exponentially slower when writing.
Today, I learned. I'll keep that in mind the next time I go shopping for storage.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2003
9869 posts
1228 upvotes
Ottawa
too bad this thing didn't work out....I might have picked up one if the write speeds were at least a bit better (at least as fast as a Sandisk Extreme Pro USB)
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11199 posts
2249 upvotes
Montreal
Anaron wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 2:22 pm
Today, I learned. I'll keep that in mind the next time I go shopping for storage.
yeah, I can hardly wait for 3D TLC to officially take over and kick this planar TLC junk to the curb.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel