• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2017 7:52 pm
[OP]
Jan 16, 2009
109 posts
50 upvotes
Lethbridge

NewEgg and counterfeit items?

I know at one point, NewEgg had counterfeit i7 processors go through them, but what I am actually wondering about is if NewEgg has had problems with 3rd party sellers selling counterfeit items, and how much of a pain it may be to get a refund if an item turns out to be counterfeit? I'm looking for low priced 128 GB micro SD cards, and found what appears to be a Samsung EVO for $33 with free shipping - but in the supplied picture, the yellow is a bit faded, and the card itself is branded EVO, but is missing the Samsung branding, while the micro to full sized adaptor has Samsung branding. I'm willing to take a risk on a potential counterfeit if there's not too much hassle in getting a refund, but I like to make sure I'm well covered before I take the dive, and I strongly suspect that this is indeed a counterfeit. Deal below:

128 GB EVO micro SD
8 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18201 posts
3321 upvotes
Thornhill
Thats very sketch. While I'd imagine you'd eventually get your money back, you might encounter a long and annoying process of communication tag to get it back.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2009
109 posts
50 upvotes
Lethbridge
Thanks for the response. Yeah, if I'm likely to deal with a real hassle, I probably won't bother. If it were as easy as reporting the counterfeit, and waiting a few days for a refund, I'd go for it, but I'm about 95% certain it's a counterfeit, so going through much hassle just isn't worth it to me.
Apr 26, 2010
163 posts
64 upvotes
Vancouver
if its too good to be true its probably not legit. especially for electronics
[OP]
Jan 16, 2009
109 posts
50 upvotes
Lethbridge
I've definitely gotten some fantastic electronics deals in the past - but I like to have a pretty high level of sureness that the deal is legit, or a not-too-complicated way of knowing I'll get my money back.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
5687 posts
531 upvotes
Toronto
SD cards and USB drives are the probably the most faked computer products around. It is best to avoid 3rd party sellers/ebay/amazon/etc... for that stuff.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2009
109 posts
50 upvotes
Lethbridge
Yeah, I'm leaving that one alone. I've tried cheap, large, SD drives before, but always through a site I could get easy refunds from. They have all resulted in refunds. I'll keep my eye open for more reputable cheap options, and just pay a little more if I have to. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21447 posts
2312 upvotes
Just find someone with a Costco membership and buy the Sandisk one for $47 or whatever it was.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2009
109 posts
50 upvotes
Lethbridge
I do have a membership, that may be what I end up doing. Memory Express has AData micro SD's listed cheap, but they're back ordered, and I have my doubts they ever come in.