Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

HGST Deskstar NAS 3.5" 7200 10TB hard drive $369

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2017 11:03 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1759 posts
1571 upvotes
Toronto, ON

[Newegg] HGST Deskstar NAS 3.5" 7200 10TB hard drive $369

Newegg's Boxing Day deals got released today, and one of the deals that stood out was the 10TB NAS drive. Good deal for $369.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
14 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3543 posts
2128 upvotes
For what it is and a good warranty it's ok but a real RFD cheap skate throws caution to the wind and buys < $200 (coupons, ebates, whatever) 8TB external drives and either cracks them open or daisy chains them on USB 3.1.
RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2012
1201 posts
221 upvotes
Redscott wrote: For what it is and a good warranty it's ok but a real RFD cheap skate throws caution to the wind and buys < $200 (coupons, ebates, whatever) 8TB external drives and either cracks them open or daisy chains them on USB 3.1.
Do you know or any deals on external drives that have wd reds or similar drives in them?
Aug 12, 2009
94 posts
22 upvotes
derrickrose wrote: Do you know or any deals on external drives that have wd reds or similar drives in them?
This is it. Rated slightly better than the WD Red.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26012 posts
211310 upvotes
GTA
Great drives - only major downside is just did not realize how loud they were going to be!
Oct 15, 2016
204 posts
252 upvotes
derrickrose wrote: deals on external drives that have wd reds or similar drives in them?
Amazon has 8TB Seagate with USB 3 hub built in @ 189 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01HD6 ... x_5_w?th=1 Reviewrs report finding Samsung Spinpoint inside the 2TB model and Seagate Green inside the 4TB. EDIT: and SMR drives inside the 8TB, so be sure that SMR suits your needs if that's what you're getting.

and Staples has 8TB Seagate no hub @ 179 https://www.staples.ca/en/Seagate-STEB8 ... CA_1_20001 Drive inside is reported to be archival (SMR) model, which makes this a much worse deal than Amazon's, even if you value the USB hub at $0.
Jan 13, 2012
321 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
bkstravel@live.ca wrote: This is it. Rated slightly better than the WD Red.
Which one please? you would have a link or you meant this HGST? HGST is rated better than WD Red?
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2012
1685 posts
744 upvotes
TBD
toguy wrote: Great drives - only major downside is just did not realize how loud they were going to be!
Agreed, installed a 6 TB version this week I got for $200. Definitely is significantly louder than my Seagates. Not too much a concern for me as my tower is in a different room.
Jan 17, 2017
276 posts
166 upvotes
Redscott wrote: For what it is and a good warranty it's ok but a real RFD cheap skate throws caution to the wind and buys < $200 (coupons, ebates, whatever) 8TB external drives and either cracks them open or daisy chains them on USB 3.1.
please explain this daisy chain in detail!
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3543 posts
2128 upvotes
plummer6699 wrote: please explain this daisy chain in detail!
I don't usually explain computer basics but since it's Christmas I am feeling the spirit of giving for those that can't google terms

now the video only shows one but imagine 3 of those seagate drives all interconnected and only one drive is connected directly to one usb 3 port on your computer.

RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Jan 16, 2009
257 posts
147 upvotes
Lethbridge
y26day wrote: why not get the 8TB one as the price is best per tb? https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 6822146142
That depends on a person's needs and budget. I ended up getting an 8 TB Purple and an 8 TB Hub Plus earlier, because that best suited my combined need for value and data density - and before anyone says it, yes, I weighed out my usage vs what the Purple is designed for - given the price point I bought it at, the Purple was still the best option.

That said, if I could have found a cheap 10 TB backup drive, a la the Seagate archive drives, I would happily have grabbed a 10 TB at this price, because data density is important to me - but all 10 TB drives were $420 or more at the time. Others might have a bigger focus on data density and less of a focus on budget - in this case, the 10 TB is better than the 8 TB you linked.

Edit: I realized my post lacks a little clarity - the Purple is a primary drive, and the Hub Plus is a backup drive - and the scenario I mentioned with a 10 TB archive drive and the HGST 10 TB drive would have been a similar scenario. If you are getting drives with that much storage, I really hope you have a backup!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)