• Nov 17th, 2017 7:28 pm
Tags:
Jan 4, 2010
32 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa
warmwolfy wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:03 pm
This is the H910 model which was made for ATT and sold unlocked.

I bought a similar model from Target and it's bootloader locked unless you found one with Dec 2016 firmware then you could use Dirry Santa to unlock.
Thanks! I just poked around XDA and yes it seems that if the phone has security updates past Dec 2016 then you won't be able to unlock the bootloader. Dirty Santa doesn't work on H910 phones updated past then.

After having a Canadian LG G2 which they abandoned for updates this is a deal breaker. I think I'd rather pay more (or less - Moto G5 Plus?) for something that I can be sure has alternate ROMs available.
Mar 4, 2009
698 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
Been 9 hours still not sold out. People waiting for BF/BD or deal just not hot enough?
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2007
1581 posts
244 upvotes
last_sd wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:32 pm
Been 9 hours still not sold out. People waiting for BF/BD or deal just not hot enough?
Thought about it - decided to pass based on no returns. My S5 still has (some) life left in it.
Mar 4, 2009
698 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
Debonair wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:20 pm
Thought about it - decided to pass based on no returns. My S5 still has (some) life left in it.
Still on Nexus 5. Was going to buy it as soon as I came home from work, but having second thoughts on no return/refund and no warranty.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2004
2179 posts
349 upvotes
last_sd wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:22 pm
Still on Nexus 5. Was going to buy it as soon as I came home from work, but having second thoughts on no return/refund and no warranty.
I am okay with the 30 day exchange policy another Rfder confirmed, but not okay with the no-warranty part. I think devices without warranty should not be sold by legitimate companies such as Newegg. That's just bad business practice.
Dec 20, 2016
37 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver BC
Debating between this and the Mi A1. Thoughts?

Edit: This will be for my mom, who doesn't need anything super special. She just wants a phone with a good cam, and doesn't cost more than $400.

I'm worried that:
The Mi A1 camera won't be good
The V20 will be too big for her.

I am also open to other suggestions.
-Dreki, occasional YouTube tech reviewer and professional opinion-haver
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
10964 posts
1115 upvotes
London
drekitech wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:43 pm

Edit: This will be for my mom, who doesn't need anything super special. She just wants a phone with a good cam, and doesn't cost more than $400.

I'm worried that:

They aren't even comparable. The mia1 is closer to a g4
Dec 20, 2016
37 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver BC
Viper98 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:46 pm
They aren't even comparable. The mia1 is closer to a g4
I should have added that I'm also worried about the phone being too big, then being unable to return it if she doesn't like the size.

She held my G4 and was a bit iffy on it, although I do have a fairly bulky case.

The V20 is really overkill for her... She only uses her phone for whatsapp and pictures and texting; and she is on prepaid...

I'm having trouble finding a budget phone with good camera reviews and that's her most important feature.
Mar 4, 2009
698 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
drekitech wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:43 pm

I'm worried that:

Mi A1 is mid range phone current generation.
V20 is high level phone last generation.

For your mom, I would probably go with mid range phone (Mi A1 is one of them but doesn't have to be that one).
She probably doesn't need 800+ series CPU. If she doesn't need more power than 600 series CPU, all it does is reduces screen time.
Same with the 1440p screen vs 1080p screen.
Audio DAC is also a wasted feature unless you have good headphone/IEM and can tell the difference.
Something like Moto G5 or Moto G5 plus might be good. Mi A1 is an import so probably hard to get warranty.
Feb 11, 2015
32 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Perfect timing as I was looking to replace my 3-year old Moto G1 dinosaur (that's still on Kitkat 4.4.4 because Xposed framework wasn't on 5.0 at the time of root). Took a good 5 hours thinking and researching before going full Leeroy Jenkins and ordered one.

Thanks OP.
something something nothing
Dec 20, 2016
37 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver BC
last_sd wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:55 pm
Mi A1 is mid range phone current generation.
V20 is high level phone last generation.

For your mom, I would probably go with mid range phone (Mi A1 is one of them but doesn't have to be that one).
She probably doesn't need 800+ series CPU. If she doesn't need more power than 600 series CPU, all it does is reduces screen time.
Same with the 1440p screen vs 1080p screen.
Audio DAC is also a wasted feature unless you have good headphone/IEM and can tell the difference.
Something like Moto G5 or Moto G5 plus might be good. Mi A1 is an import so probably hard to get warranty.
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the G5 Plus briefly but did not seriously consider it until now. $225 USD on Amazon for 4gb / 64gb, and it ships to Canada. Not bad at all...

Maybe I should get both the G5 Plus and the Mi A1 and do a camera comparison Youtube video :)
Mar 4, 2009
698 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
drekitech wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:04 pm
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the G5 Plus briefly but did not seriously consider it until now. $225 USD on Amazon for 4gb / 64gb, and it ships to Canada. Not bad at all...

Maybe I should get both the G5 Plus and the Mi A1 and do a camera comparison Youtube video :)
Just typing 'mi a1 vs g5 plus camera' in youtube got me about 5 comparison videos :)
Kimura96 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:01 pm
Perfect timing as I was looking to replace my 3-year old Moto G1 dinosaur (that's still on Kitkat 4.4.4 because Xposed framework wasn't on 5.0 at the time of root). Took a good 5 hours thinking and researching before going full Leeroy Jenkins and ordered one.

Thanks OP.
I'm usually the opposite. More time I spend on researching, I usually end up not getting the item. Either it gets sold out or I just find enough negative to not pull the trigger.
Oct 1, 2012
52 posts
4 upvotes
Edmonton
Just Broke my phone screen. Perfect timing to try out a LG V20. Thanks
Deal Addict
May 12, 2004
2120 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga
How is the battery life in these phones?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)