Expired Hot Deals

[NewEgg, Mikescompuer] Synology DS918+ NAS - $700 + Free shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2018 9:45 pm
Mar 6, 2006
537 posts
251 upvotes
GTA
Wondering what would be the procedure to test new drives BEFORE putting them into regular usage in NAS.
Some sort of stress test.
Should I use an external enclosure with each drive separately or Synology has a utility I can use with all 4 drives installed?
Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
2453 posts
966 upvotes
Ottawa
facebook259 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 12:45 pm
While it should be clear to everyone who will actually order this, that it is a NAS. For those of us scanning the subject lines it is not. Could you please add that to the subject line. 4 Bay NAS would probably be plenty of information.
Ugh tell me about it. It's like when people post "Ford Focus on sale". THEY NEED TO PUT CAR IN THE TITLE. /s
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
2224 posts
267 upvotes
Why are NAS' (NASes?) so expensive? Aren't they basically low-powered computers with no hard drives?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
1149 posts
594 upvotes
Montreal
RedFlagRobot wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:49 am
Why are NAS' (NASes?) so expensive? Aren't they basically low-powered computers with no hard drives?
It's special purpose (ie limited production) hardware.

And special purpose software.
Aug 5, 2015
777 posts
251 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Konowl wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:41 am
Ugh tell me about it. It's like when people post "Ford Focus on sale". THEY NEED TO PUT CAR IN THE TITLE. /s
Yes because I don't own a car and don't know much about cars, so the exact model is not enough. Searching Google is out of the question because I don't have 5 seconds to waste!
Happy Koodo customer :-)
Aug 29, 2009
505 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
RedFlagRobot wrote:
Form factor, ease of use, power consumption.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1000 posts
276 upvotes
Hamilton
RedFlagRobot wrote:
Mainly because they don't have the same economy of scale. I good quality NAS can run docker containers, and do just about everything a $400 laptop can do, if you take away the display. Only, you can't easily use your $400 laptop for a NAS, because it has just one or two SATA ports, and nothing to mount and power the drives with. You can build your own NAS from components for about 50% of the price. And that is just the price point, where people will decide to buy a NAS rather than building one. However, if NAS's sold as the same volume as laptops, they would probably cost less than what it costs you to build one.
Aug 5, 2015
777 posts
251 upvotes
Montreal, QC
RedFlagRobot wrote:
It would be very difficult to find a mini tower for a computer that can hold as many hard disks in such little space. A NAS can fit very well in a cabinet and often comes with IR receiver. Also, the OS is built with NAS in mind, so RAID management is super easy. But yes basically it's a mini computer purposely built for NAS.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
2453 posts
966 upvotes
Ottawa
willy0275 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:56 am
Yes because I don't own a car and don't know much about cars, so the exact model is not enough. Searching Google is out of the question because I don't have 5 seconds to waste!
I laugh at the questions people ask here, ie "what's the return policy at Home Depot?". Um... google it?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1000 posts
276 upvotes
Hamilton
Konowl wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:41 am
Well that is a reductio ad adsurdum argument if I every heard one. What is the harm in providing more details rather than less. Lets use your example in an appropriate manner. If I post deal "C50: Right Way", does that really provide you the information you want? Then when you open up the post and still see no indication what the actual product is, you'll click on the link. Finally, you'll click on a cryptic link that takes you to: http://rightwayautosale.com/. Now you have to scratch your head and wonder if that was the link I intended for the deal, or was I redirected to an unrelated advertisement.

Really, do you feel it is inappropriate to politely ask for a few words of basic description in the subject? Is it really inappropriate to desire clarity a small amount of clarity?
Aug 5, 2015
777 posts
251 upvotes
Montreal, QC
facebook259 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:07 pm
Well that is a reductio ad adsurdum argument if I every heard one. What is the harm in providing more details rather than less. Lets use your example in an appropriate manner. If I post deal "C50: Right Way", does that really provide you the information you want? Then when you open up the post and still see no indication what the actual product is, you'll click on the link. Finally, you'll click on a cryptic link that takes you to: http://rightwayautosale.com/. Now you have to scratch your head and wonder if that was the link I intended for the deal, or was I redirected to an unrelated advertisement.

Really, do you feel it is inappropriate to politely ask for a few words of basic description in the subject? Is it really inappropriate to desire clarity a small amount of clarity?
What? Most posts like these have a *link* to the product page on Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy etc... come on now. You should complain about the popular thread "[Costco] HOT -Vizio M65-E0 65-in $1199 delivered" because heck, where does it say it's a TV?
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
2453 posts
966 upvotes
Ottawa
facebook259 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:07 pm
Well that is a reductio ad adsurdum argument if I every heard one.
Not really. Lots of people know nothing about cars. The comparison, actually, is exactly the same.

In fact, adding NAS to the title would help very few people, as a large majority of people will have no idea what a NAS actually is.

FYI for those who had no idea what a reductio ad adsurdum argument is (funny how someone who wants more information doesn't provide it):

reductio ad adsurdum argument
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
2453 posts
966 upvotes
Ottawa
willy0275 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:11 pm
What? Most posts like these have a *link* to the product page on Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy etc... come on now. You should complain about the popular thread "[Costco] HOT -Vizio M65-E0 65-in $1199 delivered" because heck, where does it say it's a TV?
What the hell is Vizio M65? All I know is it's 65 inches. People need to clarify those topics.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3269 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
Midav wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:19 am
Wondering what would be the procedure to test new drives BEFORE putting them into regular usage in NAS.
Some sort of stress test.
Should I use an external enclosure with each drive separately or Synology has a utility I can use with all 4 drives installed?
Thanks in advance.
facebook259 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:59 am
Mainly because they don't have the same economy of scale. I good quality NAS can run docker containers, and do just about everything a $400 laptop can do, if you take away the display. Only, you can't easily use your $400 laptop for a NAS, because it has just one or two SATA ports, and nothing to mount and power the drives with. You can build your own NAS from components for about 50% of the price. And that is just the price point, where people will decide to buy a NAS rather than building one. However, if NAS's sold as the same volume as laptops, they would probably cost less than what it costs you to build one.
Plug drives in, choose the raid type you want. DSM will build the raid and check for any bad drives at that point. However, it will take a day or two or more based on how large your raid array will be.

A 50TB array took around 3 days for DSM to run its checks.

DSM is Diskstation Manager, the Synology OS.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1000 posts
276 upvotes
Hamilton
willy0275 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:11 pm
I can't say that particular one confused me. But there have been some TV ones that have confused me equally much. Sometimes the links take you directly to the product page, sometimes they not. Sometimes there are pop-ups and advertisements that get in the way, sometimes not... But if I were to follow this to the logical conclusion, we don't need subject lines at all. Lets just give each a deal number. OK, now I'm guilty of reductio ad sadsurdum as well. You didn't say eliminate the subject, just that product name was sufficient in all cases.

The # one reason I really appreciate clear subjects is the really HOT deals disappear quickly. I've had times where the deals had gone so fast that between the time I added to my cart, and did a checkout, the item was OOS. If I spend two minutes per deal, the one I'm interested will have been sold out an hour before I even clicked on the link. Ideally if you want to get those hot deals, you need to be able to triage quickly by scanning at the subjects and deciding which to open immediately, and which you can take your time to go back and look at them later. A $699 NAS falls in that later category. It strikes my curiosity, but I'm not going to feel bad if it is OOS by the time I open up the deal. But for someone who needs a NAS badly, the want that key word there so they can pounce right away, if it is the sale they have been waiting for.

In the end it is just a polite request. I did include the word please, didn't I? If someone doesn't want to comply with such a request, that is their right. But I see little reason to introduce insulting reductio ad adsurdum arguments in response to a polite request.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)