Montreal

[Newegg] ORICO T1 Type-C 10000 mAh Portable Charger for $26.99

Very good portable charger for the price

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ORICO-T1-Type-C- ... RTM2247625
13 replies
Nov 18, 2006
509 posts
488 upvotes
Will this one be good for my Nintendo Switch?
There's been a lot of discussion on what types should be able to charge while playing.
To my understanding:
--USB-A chargers providing only 5V/1A are too weak.
--USB-A chargers with 5V/2.4A will slow charge when the Switch is turned off, but while playing it will only slow down the battery drain & not charge.
--USB-C chargers (like this one?) apparently can charge the Switch while playing
--USB-PD (Power Delivery) chargers are the top-of-the-line and will definitely charge while playing.

So this one is a USB-C charger, but only charges 5V/2.4A max... Should be ok though?
Biggest wins: Energizer Xbox console, Rustoleum $5000, Armstrong Cheese $1000, Gatorade $500 nba.com, AVEDA $6000 Austria Trip, NSK: Ipad
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
17665 posts
2910 upvotes
Thornhill
onomeister wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 10:10 am
There's been a lot of discussion on what types should be able to charge while playing.
To my understanding:
--USB-A chargers with 5V/2.4A will slow charge when the Switch is turned off, but while playing it will only slow down the battery drain & not charge.
--USB-C chargers (like this one?) apparently can charge the Switch while playing
--USB-PD (Power Delivery) chargers are the top-of-the-line and will definitely charge while playing.

So this one is a USB-C charger, but only charges 5V/2.4A max... Should be ok though?
Here's the Amazon review for it: https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-10000mAh-P ... B018VK1TAU

Looks like it should be okay.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1068 posts
199 upvotes
BC
I would suggest only buying QuickCharge compliant chargers. I've yet to see a 5V charger supply more than 1000mA (using a cheap USB ammeter). Whereas my DTek60 works with QC2.0 and charges at ~9V/1.68A.
Dec 13, 2012
520 posts
106 upvotes
TORONTO
onomeister wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 10:10 am
To my understanding:

I bought this Ravpower powerbank (26800 mAh w/ 2.4 output) and use Anker's USB A --> C cable and it charges the Switch just fine while playing (Zelda Botw).

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B012S6IHQC/
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
4736 posts
403 upvotes
Mont-Royal
be patient. on day there will be a 3a output
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1068 posts
199 upvotes
BC
L4cky wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 8:06 pm
be patient. on day there will be a 3a output
No, no there won't. The issue is that the smaller/thinner the wire, the less current it can safely carry. So to do 3A, you need bigger wires or more wires to share the current. That is why voltage is getting increased in the higher charging technologies. It's also why a lot of these cables are utter crap.

So no, you won't see 3A unless a new connector that uses more wires (and therefore not backward compatible) comes out. I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
4736 posts
403 upvotes
Mont-Royal
Timbo420 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 9:18 pm
No, no there won't. The issue is that the smaller/thinner the wire, the less current it can safely carry. So to do 3A, you need bigger wires or more wires to share the current. That is why voltage is getting increased in the higher charging technologies. It's also why a lot of these cables are utter crap.

So no, you won't see 3A unless a new connector that uses more wires (and therefore not backward compatible) comes out. I don't see that happening anytime soon.
is it the wire outisde? can't i just use my n6p google original wire?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Oct 13, 2009
651 posts
244 upvotes
Edmonton
Timbo420 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 6:35 pm
I would suggest only buying QuickCharge compliant chargers. I've yet to see a 5V charger supply more than 1000mA (using a cheap USB ammeter). Whereas my DTek60 works with QC2.0 and charges at ~9V/1.68A.
A QC charger is ONLY useful if you have a QC device.
Timbo420 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 9:18 pm
Err... many newer android smart phones with USB C (e.g. Nexus 5x/6p and Pixel) already use 5V/3A chargers... so they already do 3A.
External powerbank batteries with 5V/3A have also existed for over a year, in fact, they have 30W USB C PD powerbanks already. That 30W USB C PD powerbank is probably the better option for the Switch (at a much higher cost tho).
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2002
4622 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
lbmeyer wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 7:12 pm
I bought this Ravpower powerbank (26800 mAh w/ 2.4 output) and use Anker's USB A --> C cable and it charges the Switch just fine while playing (Zelda Botw).

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B012S6IHQC/
That weighs more than the switch itself though, for on the go I'd probably go for a 10k power bank which is a good capacity: weight ratio IMO.
Dec 13, 2012
520 posts
106 upvotes
TORONTO
Angultra wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 2:20 pm
That weighs more than the switch itself though, for on the go I'd probably go for a 10k power bank which is a good capacity: weight ratio IMO.
True. It is quite the brick but still quite a solid option for travelling if you need the capacity and 3 USB inputs. Though my point was to counter onomeister's comment regarding USB-A chargers with 5V/2.4A not being able to charge the Switch WHILE playing (because from my experience 2.4A output is enough to charge while playing, albeit more slowly than perhaps USB C battery packs).
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1068 posts
199 upvotes
BC
PatcheZ wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 12:39 am
A QC charger is ONLY useful if you have a QC device.

Err... many newer android smart phones with USB C (e.g. Nexus 5x/6p and Pixel) already use 5V/3A chargers... so they already do 3A.
External powerbank batteries with 5V/3A have also existed for over a year, in fact, they have 30W USB C PD powerbanks already. That 30W USB C PD powerbank is probably the better option for the Switch (at a much higher cost tho).
I was under the impression 2.4A was the limit due to wire gauge, but obviously I was wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel