Hot Deals

[Newegg] Phillips SHP9500S Headphones ($59.99 - $5.00 promo code) + $6.99 Shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2017 1:45 pm
Oct 19, 2003
84 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Bought a pair for the wife a while back for $65 + $6 shipping - they are most comfortable headphones I've tried on. Probably the best cheap open-back headphones on the market, that performs well above the ~$60 - $75 price. They are neutral and have good soundstage - but bit lacking on bass. Running them off my LG V20 (with the fancy DAC) - they sound pretty good, but running them off my PA2V2 amp - they sound awesome.

These headphones are a bit hyped up. Great value headphones - but I think people like to overestimate them because (a) they are very comfortable and (b) it's nice to think they are getting an awesome deal. However, in the audio world, I think a lot of perceived differences are psychological. On the other side of the coin, some people will tell you some $200 - $300 headphones will destroy these while ignoring the law of diminishing returns.

Anyways - the wife was getting annoyed I was 'stealing' her headphones - so I'm buying a pair for myself. I prefer these over my Grado SR80e for long sessions while working - they 'disappear' on my head.
Oct 19, 2003
84 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Shipping now showing at $6.99 -- but it did show as $4.99 yesterday. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

EDIT - Think the increased shipping charge due to the headphones now being shipped from the US - as it no longer gives me the option to pick up my headphones from Richmond Hill, ON from NewEgg.
[OP]
Apr 16, 2017
281 posts
154 upvotes
Pickering
Just managed to pickup in Richmond Hill. So damn comfy... Really looking forward to making this my headset moving forward.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11410 posts
2389 upvotes
Montreal
Oogarr wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 2:50 pm
Personally, I bought them b/c I wanted a pair of light and comfortable open cans that work natively (due to 3.5mm jack) with the v-moda boom mic to create a decent headset solution. HD598's are great, but double the price at their lowest sale price, and use Sennheiser's 2.5mm jack with lock, which really doesn't work well when pairing with a third-party mic.
How did you manage to avoid the audio coming out of the headphones from going into the microphone? Openbacks are great until you need to do voice communication.
Oct 2, 2011
772 posts
194 upvotes
Edmonton
alkizmo wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:43 pm
How did you manage to avoid the audio coming out of the headphones from going into the microphone? Openbacks are great until you need to do voice communication.
These headphones have a detachable cable. Just buy the V-Moda BoomPro (it is noise cancelling, doesn't pick up the sound from the headphones) from Amazon.ca and you have an amazing headset for around $100 with these headphones being on such a great deal. I paid $100 for the headphones a year ago and still think that was a great deal for the comfort, soundstage and versatility being able to use any mic or cord that you want.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11410 posts
2389 upvotes
Montreal
wetcardboard wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 4:11 pm
These headphones have a detachable cable. Just buy the V-Moda BoomPro (it is noise cancelling, doesn't pick up the sound from the headphones) from Amazon.ca and you have an amazing headset for around $100 with these headphones being on such a great deal. I paid $100 for the headphones a year ago and still think that was a great deal for the comfort, soundstage and versatility being able to use any mic or cord that you want.
I didn't know such a neat microphone existed where it would detect what noise to drop. I guess it's because it scans the audio from the cable?
Jul 17, 2012
141 posts
61 upvotes
Kamloops
definitely good deal. I have one still which paid like 70 bucks after tax a while ago. comes with the short cable now 1.5m S model. for those says it's comfortable, its not bad. similar to beyer t1. but not close to sony ma900. that one is pretty rare now. sound quality I can tell you for beyer at 1000 and ma900 at 400 ( I paid 170 for mine) definitely not 20 times better for the beyer. so for those who don't need very high end stuff can save the money. you can get a vacuum tube amp like the little dot III works well for any headphones lol. I have a stax 4170 as well and detail of this one is pretty close to the electrostatic but not as real still a cheap dynamic driver. the plastic is cheap but pretty durable. everyone needs open and closed headphones so just buy one at this price.
Jul 13, 2015
37 posts
10 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
Great headphones, I bought two pairs last year for around this price and have been very satisfied. As everyone has been saying open-back so not ideal for the office.

Don't forget you can sign up for newegg premium to get free shipping then cancel before your 30 day trial ends.
May 30, 2017
88 posts
19 upvotes
Streetsville, Missis…
Can you add inline controls to this using another cable?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2011
1908 posts
1278 upvotes
Montreal
cellnerd wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 7:07 pm
Can you add inline controls to this using another cable?
Of course. It's just another cable, the headphones don't see anything different.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
2905 posts
177 upvotes
These are great headphones as they really open the door to head-fi in the sense that they give you a taste of all the traits that make a great headphone: transparency, decent high-mid-low extension, comfort, openness, airiness, etc...
Ultimately, you can go from some very expensive headphones to these without feeling like they are complete c*ap, that's after connecting them to a decent DAC and amp. I don't know of any other headphones in this price range that even remotely compares. The second in line for the price/performance ratio is the HD6XX currently available at Massdrop. If you grab these two, you can stop buying headphones for a couple of years while you work on the amp and the DAC.

Cheers,
Last edited by Cress on Jul 18th, 2017 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 16, 2017
41 posts
52 upvotes
Does anyone have plastic framed glasses? How are these with those? I find most headphones hurt my head because they squish my glasses onto my head.
Apr 12, 2013
89 posts
19 upvotes
wwkk624 wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 6:49 am
Does anyone have plastic framed glasses? How are these with those? I find most headphones hurt my head because they squish my glasses onto my head.
They don't hurt my head with glasses on. General consensus is that they don't have a high clamp force. Any notable over-ear headphones that did cause problems?
Jul 15, 2003
381 posts
35 upvotes
I've read a lot about the sweat issues. Is this a big deal? If so, I think this could be a deterrent for me.

It doesn't matter how good a headphone sounds, but if you're constantly heating up because of the pads, it doesn't seem worth it over the long term (unless you only use them in the winter!).
Jun 1, 2008
978 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
SeaQuake wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 7:11 am
They don't hurt my head with glasses on. General consensus is that they don't have a high clamp force. Any notable over-ear headphones that did cause problems?
I purchased the Sony xb950b1 wireless headphones recently. Unfortunately they were uncomfortable with my glasses on.